1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Animal Knockoff on Ebay

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by Puppetplanet, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

2. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

That guy has been trying to sell those for a while now! I say those because he is selling Pepe, Kermit and also sold a Gonzo one which was by far the best. I think he was only selling to Australia before.

Theres been plenty of discussion about those puppets on our forum here in Australia and we can't seem to contact him.
  3. Beebers

Beebers New Member

Can he do that? I mean, legally?? (I'll go read up on the threads that cover copyrighting etc.) Wow, that doesn't seem right somehow.

:(
  4. Muppetsdownunder

I've thought about that too! He has been listing these for a while on ebay Australia though. I know a professional elmo puppet was taken off once similar to these. Infact he also had an elmo puppet up for auction too.
  5. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Yeah, it is illegal, I'm sure that Ebay will probably see it and have it pulled. I thought I'd post it so everyone can take a looksie real quick before it disappears. :)

I've never seen his other ones..... I'll have to check his feedback and see if a sale with photos slipped thru. :excited:

He probably doens't talk to anyone because he knows what he's doing is illegal. It isn't a bad duplication.

Oh wait! I think I did see the elmo one before! I don't remember how well done it was though.
  6. Muppetsdownunder

posting on forums like this draw even more attention to the items and can lead him into trouble alot quicker! lol
  7. Beebers

Beebers New Member

Well, I'll read up on all the stuff available here on zee forum about copyrighting - it's a complex world, and I don't even know if possibly U.S. laws, which are pretty fussy, differ from other countries in that maybe you can market such things elsewhere without a problem, but still, it seems, and feels, very unethical to me at best.

:(
  8. Beebers

Beebers New Member

Right, must be. He probably jumps every time the phone rings or someone knocks on his door.

:D
  9. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Well, it's not like it makes a difference whether or not someone points it out here... he is making the decison to building a duplicate of someone elses character and then posting it on a very high profile selling site like Ebay. If he was worried about getting caught the he would be hiding in a little corner somewhere selling them locally. As it is.... thousands of muppet fans visit Ebay regularly looking for that perfect muppet collection and this guy knows it, thats why he started his bid at $250. Thats why he is also hiding behind a yahoo e-mail address.

It is pretty unethical, but one can still admire the work. ;)
  10. Beebers

Beebers New Member

I have a hard time admiring any work in any field that is direct and complete imitation. He should be turning his craftmanship talents to original works. I can't admire anything about it. Unethical artists are the bad apples that spoil the bunch. But that's just me; we can agree to disagree lol.

:cool:
  11. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

No, I totally agree...... it IS wasted talent. But talent is talent, even if it's wasted on copying someone elses character. :smirk:
  12. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

It looks really good, but I agree that he shouldn't do it. :halo:
  13. Beebers

Beebers New Member

For me there is zero distinction and no special exemptory dividing line among the arts. If a writer, no matter how talented, copied in completion, printed, and profited from the written works of another, there would be, rightly, hue and cry. For me no artist in any of the arts should be nothing more than a copyist, no matter how technically talented they may be.

14. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Writing word for word doesn't take any talent because anyone can do it, it's a poor comparison. Copying a designers dress, an artists painting, or a puppet character and doing it well just from a visual photo or memory does take some form of talent. Those people may not have positive morals or the imagination it takes to build their own works of art, however, not EVERYONE can build a replica so close to the original.

I guess your right; I would have to disagree with you because I feel that it does require some form of talent even if you or anyone else does'nt want to admit or recognize it. That still doesn't make it right of'course.
  15. Beebers

Beebers New Member

Hang on, lol, you're not really reading the total content of my posts, in which I have mentioned his talent several times. I do recognize his talent. It should be turned toward original works, as I observed earlier. Let Us Not Fight. *vacates thread lol*

16. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

HEEEEYYYY! I wasn't fighting! I told you that you were right when you said that we should agree not to agree! I was just stating WHY I didn't agree! lol

Online/e-mail chat is so flat no matter how much they try to animate it! ;)

You guys should know me better than that! I very rarely ever get serious about anything. :excited:
  17. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

What he's doing is illegal in just about every country except China and possibly Beruit. You could get away with it in Isreal because they tend not to enforce copyright laws because they have bigger problems (terrorists, etc.). Come to thing of it, Tztz could get himself a nice little sideline going over there....

Seriously though I emailed this guy but never heard from him. He listed animal before but it was pulled. It will be again I'm sure.
  18. Muppetsdownunder

Numerous people on the Australian muppet forum including me have also been trying to contact him and noone has heard anything from him. I think he could be having some problems with his email etc. Even the ask seller question function on ebay won't contact him.
  19. Beebers

Beebers New Member

He's a fugitive. Hiding in zee hills with hundreds of Muppet knockoffs to keep him warm at night. Only sort of kidding.
  20. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

You have to admit, though... who wouldn't love to have a puppet that looked just like a Muppet? Well, anyone on this board, anyway. I know I would! Sigh. I'm not proposing to break any laws, though.