An Editorial: 2005 Will See Two Worlds

Randlev

Reaction score
Disney didn't abuse Pixar, they nurtured them and I don't think there's anybody that denies that Pixar is a better studio because of Disney. Granted, hopefully slowly Disney will begin to realize, which I think they will once Uncle Mike hits the road in a year or so, that often times the artists should just be left alone to make their project, because they usually know how. Of course there are always dead ends and such when a guy like Eisner needs to come along with his attention to detail and give things a push (which i see as a definite strength of his in the right situations). Hopefully the next CEO shares Eisner's love for the Muppets, but lets the Muppet Family ride helm. I see good times ahead, but then again I was separately a Disney Lover and a Muppet Lover, now that the marriage has finally happened, I'm optimistic for this Disney of the new millenium. It's not the Disney of the early 90's, but its not the Disney of the late ones either. This all will make for an interesting book someday. If only I (thought I) knew as much as Jim Hill...

HappinessHotel

Reaction score
Future Direction...

beaker, I think you make some valid points in your editorial, and I can tell you're really passionate about the future of the Muppets. (As am I.) I agree that a clear vision for the Muppets is necessary, especially given their somewhat shaky history. And, I also agree that Disney is not necessarily the best company to establish this vision. I know they'll be great at marketing the Muppets, but I wonder if Disney will have the passion and creativity to produce compelling shows/films starring the Muppets.

Before drawing any conclusions, however, I think it’s only fair that we give Disney a chance. At this point, I really haven’t seen enough Disney/Muppet projects to draw any conclusions. For all we know, there are people working at Disney like you and me who are extremely passionate about the Muppets. (Just because Disney is a big corporation doesn’t mean they can’t produce anything of quality.) After some time has passed, if we think Disney is taking the Muppets in the wrong direction, I believe it is our duty as fans to stand up and voice our concerns.

I think Docnzhoss described the Muppets well when he/she said they are “smart, witty and full of heart”. If this is our vision for the Muppets, and we feel Disney is heading in the wrong direction – write to them. Call them. Let the folks at Disney know that you are concerned. I truly believe they’ll listen if you approach them in a conscientious manner with legitimate concerns. The Muppets are as much ours as they are theirs. Together, we can help shape their future. :smile:

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
HappinessHotel said:
beaker, I think you make some valid points in your editorial, and I can tell you're really passionate about the future of the Muppets. (As am I.) I agree that a clear vision for the Muppets is necessary, especially given their somewhat shaky history. And, I also agree that Disney is not necessarily the best company to establish this vision. I know they'll be great at marketing the Muppets, but I wonder if Disney will have the passion and creativity to produce compelling shows/films starring the Muppets.

Before drawing any conclusions, however, I think it’s only fair that we give Disney a chance. At this point, I really haven’t seen enough Disney/Muppet projects to draw any conclusions. For all we know, there are people working at Disney like you and me who are extremely passionate about the Muppets. (Just because Disney is a big corporation doesn’t mean they can’t produce anything of quality.) After some time has passed, if we think Disney is taking the Muppets in the wrong direction, I believe it is our duty as fans to stand up and voice our concerns.

I think Docnzhoss described the Muppets well when he/she said they are “smart, witty and full of heart”. If this is our vision for the Muppets, and we feel Disney is heading in the wrong direction – write to them. Call them. Let the folks at Disney know that you are concerned. I truly believe they’ll listen if you approach them in a conscientious manner with legitimate concerns. The Muppets are as much ours as they are theirs. Together, we can help shape their future. :smile:
WOW...you bring a tear to my eye. :wink:

McFraggle

Reaction score
HappinessHotel said:

Well said. :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
HappinessHotel said:

Man, you responded back with an even better editorial, nice! I dont know who you are, but that was pretty well written and thought out. That last Jim Hill Media article was sobering, but if we know one thing about Muppets, it is very nice last minute surprises. Noone saw the (albeit brief) JHH buyback coming, Muppetfest, and other fan rattling news.

I just do not want to see the early 90's dark ages unfold again...and that's what I see with the Wizard of Oz thing, and other things Disney has planned for them. For those that remember, the early thru mid and even later 90's is when JHC was very entrenched with Disney: Disney rereleased Fraggle Rock which was cool(both on vhs and cable) but...they also put out a bunch of pretty lame straight to video things.(including one of the worst Muppet productions ever, Classic Theatre)

My vision of the Muppet future was to have an epic new Mupept film(co written by Jerry Juhl, one of the few people on the planet whose pen is dipped with gold Mupept wise) as well as an edgy prime time show. What worries me about Disney is moving theMuppets from the 2002 edgyness back to sterile family friendly only dreck. One of the amazing things about the Muppets is the ability to play to both kdis and to adults, without going to overboard.

...the Muppets recent appearence on Saturday Night Live is at least a glimmer of hope Disney isnt wanting to completely negate any hip or edgyness.

I also now realize why it was imperative for Sesame to be on its own...as much as I liked Muppets, Fraggle, Sesame, and Bear all being under one company.

Drtooth said:
Some part of me is hoping for a fan friendly direction
That's why in a way, the 98-2002 era was pretty sweet...as even tho it was the age of EM.TV, there was a lot of fan friendly stuff: Muppetfest, not so family friendly 'edgy' stuff like Kermit appearences on late night tv and other stuff, and the biggest deluge of awesome merchandise.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
turlem said:
i'm cautious about disney, but i thought the 90' had some great times , MCC is one of my favorite muppet films, MTI was also good .

MFS and MT were flawed, but let's wait and see about oz
Yes, but Disney didnt help at all with MFS. Not even a wee bit. Not even a bit so miniscule and microscopic that it isn't even worth counting. Not even a bit that isnt even so pointless and small that it's pointless me writing all of this trash!!

Now come on someone...tell me Disney did help!!

beaker

Reaction score
TuttertheMouse said:
Yes, but Disney didnt help at all with MFS. Not even a wee bit. Not even a bit so miniscule and microscopic that it isn't even worth counting. Not even a bit that isnt even so pointless and small that it's pointless me writing all of this trash!!

Now come on someone...tell me Disney did help!!
Actually that responsibility for MFS promotion would have rested solely upon Columbia Picture's shoulders. I miss the days when both Muppets and Sesame dvds were distibuted through Sony subsidiaries.