An Editorial: 2005 Will See Two Worlds

beaker

Reaction score
Remember the Matrix? I see a perfect parable to what is about to happen.
In the year 2005...on the 50th anniversary of the Muppets...we will see two consecutive realities form. One one plain of existense, there will be us. Those of us who believe, the performer's person feelings, legacy, etc. We live live vicariously through what has been and what could have been...living through video tapes, dvds, memories. A world where Palisades will try and bring Muppets and Sesame back together, and we can pretend February 2004, and to some extent the early 90's never happened.

Then there will be the real world. One where everyone but us sees a new version of the Muppets where they arent quite themselves...(or even playing themselves) This will be what the public sees, the Disnified Muppets. Will a generation from now ever remember a pre Disney Muppets? This is the world where all the franchises are split(and I realize Sesame has been split since 2000), and the Muppets have become nothing but self paordying nostalgia.

Oh to think...just 2 years ago things seemed so sweet. A Very Merry Xmas surprised us, with an edgy new direction. The Muppets were to be back in a new edgy prime time Fox show...even a pitch vhs was circulated in fan circles of what was possible to come. Even Mupept fandom was still relatively unified. Heck, by mid 2003 JHC was freed from the chains of EMTV.

Now this...almost makes ya want to take a time machine back to 1989 doesnt it? On the eve of the Muppets 50th Anniversary...we are faced with
that special comeback we have dreamed of since The Muppets have been toiling in relative limbo for 14 years. But all indications now look quite sobering, and a reality is setting in. With the closing of almost all New York related things, the letting go of long time folks, and other abysmal things JHC was left defenseless to Eisner. Had Disney not bought the Muppets, theyd still be doomed...but at least wed have our dignity and pride.

Two worlds...ours and Eisners. I said 2005 will be make or break. And I try to be the optimist. But if any of Jim Hill's recent revelations are to be believed, along with common sense...a requiem for the Muppets now seems to be in order. The Muppets means more than I can muster to type for all my life,
and a little part of me still wants to think that this is just the neccesary evolution they need to undertake.

In a perfect world Muppets would have gotten snatched up by the right choice with the right vision. We'd see an ambitious move to truly make them hip again, not regress back to an indecipherable mix of early 90's classic retelling ambiguity and identity crisis. Muppet fandom would be united, a new Muppet theatrical film and tv show would be in the works. When it comes down to it...we just have to hope and have faith. Perhaps, like the Boston Red Sox this year, a miracle can happen. "Someday we'll find it..."...even if it takes an epoch wandering a desert.

christyb

Reaction score
I hope that all of our expectations are met and excelled. Hopefully Disney will stick to The Muppets and not the paradoy of themselves. Like Jim Henson said...

I believe that we can use television and film to be an influence for good; that we can help to shape the thoughts of children and adults in a positive way. As it has turned out, I'm very proud of some of the work we've done, and I think we can do many more good things.

--Jim Henson

(I knew that all this research would come in handy.)
I'd like for Disney to stick with that vision. Not just seeing the Muppets as a potential to get Disney back on top.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
with Pixar gone i think Disney has a Golden oppt'y to make the muppet shine again

christyb

Reaction score
True. However, let's hope they don't abuse the Muppets like they did Pixar. When they lost Pixar they lost the best thing that was going for them.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
christyb said:
I'd like for Disney to stick with that vision. Not just seeing the Muppets as a potential to get Disney back on top.
Let's hope they realize that sticking with that vision can help them get back on top. Why change the formula? If they can keep the Muppets smart, witty and full of heart (not to mention in the public eye) people will take notice and there could be a boom in Muppet popularity ala Scooby Doo (only without the fart jokes please).

christyb

Reaction score
Amen and I second that!! Exactly what I was thinking Doc!

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Lets hope that w/ Pixar LKeaving that Disney $ee$ the Value od the Muppet$

Drtooth

Reaction score
EEk- gads! I've been a little on edge since the Disney/Muppet deal. I mean, I know SW was making strides to make SS more adult with Palisades' new action figures, adultsized T-shirts, and that CD collection (which was mostly celebrity covers, unfortunately) and then HIT is actually releasing Fraggle Rock on DVD, after two or more years of signing Warrick's petition and hoping/praying someone somewhere would read it and take notice there's something in the air. But I'm always distrustful of Disney. I mean, they've use Crop and Chop...errr...pan and Scan for their 2 Disney Muppet releases (MCC and MTI) whereas Columbia had both wide and full frame on DVD's... as per my understanding. Then again, I didn't exactly love seeing MTM as a cereal box giveaway......

I hope TMM special edition is as special as the name implies, or I'll have to search on e-bay for a jacked up priced copy of the original. Sigh.... I wish I bought more of them when I had a chance.

Some part of me is hoping for a fan friendly direction, but then part of me fears that the Muppets will be on edited "Best of no guest star" type compilations Disney issued back in 92.... but then again, maybe we'll have the slim possibility the satirical series Dinosaurs may see a boxed set.

It's like that feeling you get when you go to the mail box to see if you're getting something you ordered from a cereal to arrive, but fear you only have the same 30000 Capital one card applications.... only even slower.....

turlem

Reaction score
i'm cautious about disney, but i thought the 90' had some great times , MCC is one of my favorite muppet films, MTI was also good .

MFS and MT were flawed, but let's wait and see about oz