1991-1993 Transitional Years

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
I noticed that from 1991-1993 Sesame Street was going through somewhat of a transitional period. The old Harmonica music was still there, and so was the old worn down looking street set, but a lot was also being changed and revamped during those years. Like the opening and closing themes changing, Richard Hunt's charachters being gone due to his death and charachters like Rosita, Chicago the Lion, Roxy Marie, Baby Bear and Goldilocks, Davey and Joey Monkey, Kingston Livingston the 3rd, Merry Monster and Monty stepping in. By the fall of 1993 the show had changed quite a bit with the new around the corner set and additions to the human cast, with the new music that was there to stay. For the first 22 years Sesame Street basically stayed the same. It started to change a little in 1991, but the changes didn't become official until 2 years later in 1993. Anyone else ever notice this?

OldSchoolFan

Reaction score
I noticed that from 1991-1993 Sesame Street was going through somewhat of a transitional period. The old Harmonica music was still there, and so was the old worn down looking street set, but a lot was also being changed and revamped during those years. Like the opening and closing themes changing, Richard Hunt's charachters being gone due to his death and charachters like Rosita, Chicago the Lion, Roxy Marie, Baby Bear and Goldilocks, Davey and Joey Monkey, Kingston Livingston the 3rd, Merry Monster and Monty stepping in. By the fall of 1993 the show had changed quite a bit with the new around the corner set and additions to the human cast, with the new music that was there to stay. For the first 22 years Sesame Street basically stayed the same. It started to change a little in 1991, but the changes didn't become official until 2 years later in 1993. Anyone else ever notice this?
what characters of Hunt's were in the opening credits back then? because i know he mostly did minor characters. im guessing just Gladys and Forgetful Jones?

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
None of Hunt's characters were in the opening credits. But after they changed the opening credits right after he died, and his characters stopped appearing on the show. It's funny how Richard's death and the absence of his characters coincided with the major changes of Sesame Street in the early 90's.

wiley207

Reaction score
I believe most of those changes occured due to when Teletape went bankrupt, forcing the CTW crew to move the Sesame Street set to the Kaufman Astoria studios. The show's main opening and closing credits weren't the only titles that changed that year either. "Monsterpiece Theater" and "The Adventures of Super Grover" also got title card upgrades as well.

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
Another transitional change during these years, was the remodeling of Hooper's Store. In 1991 after 22 years of having the store having the same look inside with the red counter, the store was remodeled with a more modern look with a square shaped white counter, and gave it more of a new clean look inside. I guess they figured by 1991, that old fashioned Lunch Counter look was obviously outdated.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Lol. I liked most of those characters! Espcially Roxy. I thinks the 90's weren't a bad period for Sesame Street. I agree it isn't really considered classic nor is it considerd part of current Sesame, it's sort of in the mix. Yeah, there were many changes happening, but some good things still stayed( Ex. The orignal format!) And the Around the Corner set was pretty brilliant itself. I hate they dropped it from the show. I wonder how it would have played out on todays show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's really a shame most of those characters didn't hang around. I mean, we had Natasha, Humphry and Ingrid for the longest time after, and Benny Rabbit apparently pops up unannounced in weird places every so often, but Other than Rosita and Zoe, none of them had staying power. which is unfortunate if you ask me.

Of course, I did like seeing Dave Golez carry a couple one time characters for a brief period in those years. Too bad he never stuck around. I can remember seeing him as The Elephant Elevator Operator and Mr. Between and some various others.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know? after 39 years you kind of have to look at the bigger picture in terms of what is considered classic and what isn't. I know we all know that that had to have new characters because of all the losses and the absence of Frank and everything. Plus, puppeteers like Joey Mazzarino and Stephanie D'Abruzzo were new to the show at this point. But I also think that this was just a natural progression as they had been on for another decade and they had done this before earlier during the early eighties as well and had many characters that did not work or stick around that long. That also just needed to keep things fresh. Because while many things still work to things day, some things can get stall as with all TV shows. The show kind feels like it's in a sorry of transition now. I guess they just do it whenever they feel that need to.

Erine81981

Reaction score
To me i really enjoyed the 90's up till when they changed the time again. When i would get home from school which is around in most school years 3 or so. So after doing my homework i would wait till 5 ol'clock to watch my favorite show of all time......Sesame Street. After a few years of the 90's they changed the time again. It was then it came on at 6 (I think) but it might not. I can't remember but then when they changed it for 10:00 A.M. in the mornings. That's when i started missing most of the shows because of school. So for a few periods of years i didn't watch Sesame Street at all. (And i might have told this story before) But the 90's to me were the favorites of my years growing up with Big Bird, Old Ernie and Bert skits and songs, Cookie Monster, Grover, Oscar, The Count, Herry Monster, Sherlock Hemlock, Roxy Marie, Merry Monster, Davy and Joey Monkey and all those other characters that to me were really enjoying.

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
Another thing I noticed during these years is it seems to be when they did their first cutback of classic skits. Before this it was common to see a handful of old sketches from the 70's in the new episodes. But once 1993 came around, it got to a point where, you might get one really old skit every once in a while.