TV Alert: Sesame Street Hurricane Special on Friday November 9

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This Friday, Sesame Street is airing a re-edited version of the 2001 five-part Hurricane series in response to those affected by Hurricane Sandy. See the touching moments when Big Bird's nest is destroyed and then rebuilt after the storm. Find out all the details on this special airing in Sesame's regular time slot on your local PBS station. (If you miss Friday's appearance, it appears that this special will re-air on Sunday morning in many markets.)

It will be interesting to see how this special has been edited and if Kermit the Frog's reporter segments remain. :smile: The edited 5-part hurricane series was released on the Friends to the Rescue VHS and DVD.

If you saw this Sesame Street special, please "like" this message and post your thoughts below.

Katzi428

Reaction score
"Sesame Street" is on at 10AM here. I know the "Elmo's World" usually comes on at around 10:40. (I don't sit there & watch SS, everyone) So I turned on SS at 10:45 w/trepidation thinking I'd see you know who. Thankfully I saw Big Bird talking to his Granny Bird. . .I let out a silent thank you to Sesame Workshop for listening to me (I'm sure other adults asked for Elmo to be skipped just for today too.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, I'd have to go and check Muppet Wiki for Episodes 3786-3790 to find out if there were Elmo's World episodes attached when the five-part Hurricane on Sesame originally aired. But since that was in Season 32, my guess is most likely that they did. SW edited the five episodes so they'd be condensed into a full-hour viewing, so I'd think they would have gotten through it without any Elmo's World.

And even if they had decided to include the Elmo's segment at the end of today's airing, it would have been an Elmo: The Musical, cause you know how they have to retrofit older episodes into the current format. :grouchy:

Oh well. *Moves on to other threads.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Er, I'd have to go and check Muppet Wiki for Episodes 3786-3790 to find out if there were Elmo's World episodes attached when the five-part Hurricane on Sesame originally aired. But since that was in Season 32, my guess is most likely that they did.
I can tell you they did, because I taped those hurricane episodes when they first aired in 2001.

So, did anyone see this condensed special? I'm going to assume that they left out any references to the letters and numbers of the days... and I also can't help but wonder if they, perhaps, omitted the parts involving Al Roker and Kermit the Frog?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Apparently, they only showed the aftermath episodes, so Kermit and Al were omitted.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well that may explain why, thus far, SW hadn't uploaded the rest of the story arc after part one on YouTube recently, though I know all five parts are available on the SST site.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I saw it. And it was probably a bad idea to record it on the HD channel, because, except for the transitions, everything was in a square.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I saw it. And it was probably a bad idea to record it on the HD channel, because, except for the transitions, everything was in a square.
That's called "pillarbox". And what were you expecting?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
That's called "pillarbox". And what were you expecting?
I was expecting maybe inserts throughout it. But they didn't do that. I got rid of the special from my DVR anyway.

This better be the only time they reuse a street story that isn't in HD.

SSLFan

Reaction score
So I missed the episode, and i'm not clearly understanding what you guys are describing what happened. Did they just show the street stories for the entire hour? Or did it follow the current format, with Murray tune- ins, WotS, AFFS, etc.? And how were the transitions incorporated for the street scenes?