1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

TV Alert: Sesame Street Hurricane Special on Friday November 9

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Phillip Administrator

This Friday, Sesame Street is airing a re-edited version of the 2001 five-part Hurricane series in response to those affected by Hurricane Sandy. See the touching moments when Big Bird's nest is destroyed and then rebuilt after the storm. Find out all the details on this special airing in Sesame's regular time slot on your local PBS station. (If you miss Friday's appearance, it appears that this special will re-air on Sunday morning in many markets.)

It will be interesting to see how this special has been edited and if Kermit the Frog's reporter segments remain. :) The edited 5-part hurricane series was released on the Friends to the Rescue VHS and DVD.

[IMG]

If you saw this Sesame Street special, please "like" this message and post your thoughts below.
    Katzi428 and antsamthompson9 like this.
  2. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

"Sesame Street" is on at 10AM here. I know the "Elmo's World" usually comes on at around 10:40. (I don't sit there & watch SS, everyone) So I turned on SS at 10:45 w/trepidation thinking I'd see you know who. Thankfully I saw Big Bird talking to his Granny Bird. . .I let out a silent thank you to Sesame Workshop for listening to me (I'm sure other adults asked for Elmo to be skipped just for today too.)
  3. The Count Moderator

Er, I'd have to go and check Muppet Wiki for Episodes 3786-3790 to find out if there were Elmo's World episodes attached when the five-part Hurricane on Sesame originally aired. But since that was in Season 32, my guess is most likely that they did. SW edited the five episodes so they'd be condensed into a full-hour viewing, so I'd think they would have gotten through it without any Elmo's World.

And even if they had decided to include the Elmo's segment at the end of today's airing, it would have been an Elmo: The Musical, cause you know how they have to retrofit older episodes into the current format. :grouchy:

Oh well. *Moves on to other threads.
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I can tell you they did, because I taped those hurricane episodes when they first aired in 2001.

So, did anyone see this condensed special? I'm going to assume that they left out any references to the letters and numbers of the days... and I also can't help but wonder if they, perhaps, omitted the parts involving Al Roker and Kermit the Frog?
  5. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Apparently, they only showed the aftermath episodes, so Kermit and Al were omitted.
  6. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well that may explain why, thus far, SW hadn't uploaded the rest of the story arc after part one on YouTube recently, though I know all five parts are available on the SST site.
  7. antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I saw it. And it was probably a bad idea to record it on the HD channel, because, except for the transitions, everything was in a square.
  8. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That's called "pillarbox". And what were you expecting?
  9. antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I was expecting maybe inserts throughout it. But they didn't do that. I got rid of the special from my DVR anyway.

This better be the only time they reuse a street story that isn't in HD.
  10. SSLFan Well-Known Member

So I missed the episode, and i'm not clearly understanding what you guys are describing what happened. Did they just show the street stories for the entire hour? Or did it follow the current format, with Murray tune- ins, WotS, AFFS, etc.? And how were the transitions incorporated for the street scenes?
  11. antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

They showed street stories for the whole hour and transitions like the stars, the hole in the street, and the bus were used to go from one story to the next. Maybe someone else could describe it better.
  12. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

In other words, the typical chalk-drawing transitions.
  13. ncchuck Active Member

i thought it was a sad story this needs on dvd I LOVE BIG BIRD and i thought it flowed like a show not something that was clipped together , they just used the big bird segments no letters or numbers of the day but it did have the new opening .
  14. Hubert Well-Known Member

If I'm correct, there was this DVD which I think is pretty much the same type thing:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Friends_to_the_Rescue

I'm sure one of the SST superfans will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

They did the right thing in only dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane, and not showing the entire process. The message was to comfort kids after it happened, not warn them for next time. It would have been great to see Kermit, sure, but I don't see any reason to show what a hurricane is when the kids have already been through it.
  16. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The DVD is all the episodes, only missing a few scenes here and there.
  17. ncchuck Active Member

THANK YOU GUYS :) this is why i love coming here now i have something to look for thanks again :)
  18. Phillip Administrator

The entire special, "Sesame Street Gets Through a Storm" is now available to watch on-line...

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  19. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't this the episode that was in the works which was shown on the A&E Sesame Documentary?
  20. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Yes it's ethier that, or there something else beucase I do recall seeing some behind the scences shots for this.