Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984 DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The review at Muppet Central points out that the booklet has images from Mister Rogers' appearance yet it isn't in the set, but the booklet also has pictures of many other celebrities who don't appear in the set, either.

Well, Sesame Workshop didn't post any "Sesame Bits" comics to promote this release.

jonnytbird

Reaction score
It's not that Honk Around the Clock isn't rare, but I love it too. It's not too disappointing that we don't get the Cab Calloway thing... it's probably online. If anything, the only real disappointment is that there's no Les Mostley or Deena and Pearl, but I guess if we pester SW nicely, they'll put one on Youtube or something some day. Not make or break.

I'm still really psyched about this, cuts and all.
I just bought it maybe two hours ago at a local Barnes and Noble store! Here's what I can add from what you said, Drtooth. Deena was featured (mainly as a background character) in the Season 12 cut "Big Hello 1-20". But I kinda share the same disappointments that you have, Drtooth. The biggest disappointment for me was re-using "Henson Ball #3" with the cherry ending. First of all, we already have that on volume 2. Second of all, that was on WAY before Season 15. As for feeling disappointed in not seeing those rare muppet characters, it probably wouldn't have been anything political if it would've been released as 3 DVDs like the last two were.

Also, I noticed that one of my favorite SS cartoons "Swedish Number Cartoons" were all replaced from 1446, 1706, and 1836. But earlier this year, I noticed that those cartoons were originally from another kids show from Sweden called "Fem Myror". Maybe Owe Gustafson didn't sign any DVD release forms for his cartoons or whatever. And Phillip, you forgot to add on your review that on Episode 1446, the "8 octopus tentacles" cartoon was replaced with "Ringmaster #8".

I was so pysched to find out that one of my wishes for this release came true! They included "Warren Wolf's interview with Dr Nobel Price"! What's interesting with this is that it doesn't use the "News Flash" logo but begins by zooming on his island laboratory painting. Also, Michael Earl annonces it and not Jerry Nelson. I thought I'd hear Jim Henson's voice for Warren Wolf but it sounded more like Kevin Clash instead!

Hopefully, there will be a Volume 4 DVD boxset with a little more than 5 bonus clips per season. Maybe as much as the past two volmes?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Hopefully, there will be a Volume 4 DVD boxset with a little more than 5 bonus clips per season. Maybe as much as the past two volmes?
Part of the reason for that is they went with 2 discs instead of 3. So we ended up with three full episodes on one disc, which doesn't leave much space for other material. I guess to keep it consistent, they used the same number of clips per season and filled up the spare space on disc 2 with some other goodies. I don't know why they went that route with two discs (saves money?), but its not necessarily a bad thing.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And Phillip, you forgot to add on your review that on Episode 1446, the "8 octopus tentacles" cartoon was replaced with "Ringmaster #8".
Thank you, I'll update the review. There was a lot of comparison work to list everything.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree more classic clips would be great. We had less than half of those on this set. However, due to production costs and royalties I think we all would rather have a 2 disc Old School Volume 4, rather than no Volume 4 at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Although there are no Deena and Pearl sketches included, the "Big Hello 1-20" clip does feature Deena. It's a shame we don't hear her talk (ditto with Poco Loco, I'd have liked to have heard the voice Michael Earl used for the character). It's also interesting how the disc 2 main menu has that clip, when the full clip is on disc 1.
After rewatching several times, I was wrong. The main menu clip on disc 2 is the opening song from episode 1706, and the clip starts with everybody saying hello.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If they did need to pay royalties for the theme, I don't see why they simply didn't just not bother with various other rights. Clearly, the most expensive things they had to clear are "Happy Birthday" and the Star Wars characters; the latter is just a bonus clip and the former is part of the episode. If they didn't include the Star Wars bit, would anyone complain? Nope. Some people wouldn't be please that #1316 would have a slight edit, but if it meant the theme and other segments had to be cut, I would say they could've easily been cut without any other issues.

jonnytbird

Reaction score
If they didn't include the Star Wars bit, would anyone complain? Nope.
I wouldn't have complained if it didn't feature the Star Wars characters. We have been fortunate to have seen the two episodes featuring them unedited from Noggin. Another bonus clip with The Count would've been nice too. I was surprised that The Count wasn't used a whole lot for the "40 Years of Sunny Days" DVD. Neither was Guy Smiley, who was actually my favorite Henson character from SS. Since the 40th anniversary book did quote from the third "Beat The Time" insert, that would've been nice to see on either one of those DVDs.