Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
When it fist aired, man. I taped it too. But since my VCR is gone, I'd have to get the DVD provided it's even still in print.

But lemme tell you something. It's a stone cold shame that there was never any other Bloom County animated specials. The animation was the most beautiful thing you'd ever see. Bill was even more fun in animation. Great, classic special that unfortunately is forgotten by everyone but Bloom County fans.
I'm a big Bloom County fan (have the first three volumes of the complete collection, hopefully will get the fourth and fifth soon), but I had read that Breathed didn't like the special upon release, and therefore wasn't sure if it was any good.

They should have made an animated version of Bill the Cat's workout tape.

robodog

Reaction score
Thank God. I could care less about Barney but despite not really liking Elmo all that much, I'd hate to see that POS beat any Sesame Street movie. It's the principle of the thing. The worst of Sesame Street is still billions of times better than this Oogieloves garbage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than the worst of Sesame Street being better than 90% of what they call preschool edutainment anyway. Barney's movie came out well after his popularity was dropping, and the Elmo movie seemed too big a money maker to fail and failed because of that... other than the fact Barney took a while to get back his (completely undeserved) popularity, and even then it didn't last all that long, Sesame Street shrugged it off.

But unlike the other two, there's a unique situation about this movie. Barney and Sesame Street were established kid's franchises. Oogieloves was supposed to be the big debut of these characters, leading to Frog knows what else. Clearly a TV show... but no one's biting. It looks dated as heck, first off all. I mean, Sesame Street may still use puppets, but they always look clean fresh and relevant like the Muppets should... but Oogs are big clumsy, expressionless costumes that died out with the 90's. We have so many poorly animated CGI preschool fodder out today (basically most of Playhouse Disney's programming) that some dopey, low rent theme park looking costumes just don't capture the kids in anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The newly revised Wikipedia article has much more good news.

The final budget was somewhere over 50 million (mostly on marketing), so it's going to lose a crapload more than we thought.

I'm loving the Rotten Tomatoes reviews on it, but I think Boston Phoenix puts it in the best perspective:

The tale of three multi-colored blobs hunting for lost magical balloons feels like a bad pilot, the kind that post-Barney PBS would reject out of hand.
There clearly was a plan for this film, and it really feels like they wanted to make a pilot, but they knew no one would buy it. It was clear they were going to make a TV show from there... unless the guy has some blisteringly amazing connections, I don't think we're in danger of that. Plus, PBS, as much as SuperWhy exists, is moving beyond that kind of low rent children's entertainment. Barney's got like a one time a day showing mid-morning (the equivalent of a PBS death slot). Meanwhile, DinoTrain took off big time, and their programming is constantly getting better (can't tell with the new Daniel Tiger thing... didn't see it yet, and I'm not quite in the mood for it today).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Already its opening is lower than 2008's Delgo, and we all know how much of a bomb that was.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It would have been much wiser to release this as a DTV with Redbox in mind. Every time I walk by a Redbox, it's filled with Mockbusters and cheap kiddy videos (It used to be NCircle released Mario and Sonic cartoons). Ugly CGI mockbusters or originals that no one really gives a crap about. That seems to be the best Oogiloves gets as an audience.

I think this might get some life on DVD. I just don't think the life they want it to have. It seems like once it hits the bargain bin, then grannies will start buying it for toddlers, and I'm sure some internet critic will take on the movie and turn everything about it into a meme. And it might get ironic love, though it still doesn't look so bad it's good but rather so bad it's terrible.

Still... the endless weeks of it hitting that bargain bin and getting a memetic mutation is going to be a killer of a wait.