1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jun 30, 2012.

1. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

Exactly...

I can certainly get behind interaction in what they watch at home, but getting them to do that in the cinema is a horrible idea.

Especially since this is probably the first cinematic experience for those kids in the audience, it gives them the wrong impression on how to handle themselves in that environment. They're not old enough to determine that they're supposed to be noisy and one movie but not at another.
  2. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

GOOFY TOOFIE! PICK UP YOUR PANTS!
  3. SuperGzilla12

Yes, indeed...
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I support the Oogiloves movies and concept just to see Dr Tooth go bananas:)
    I kid. Seriously I wouldn't let my kids watch this garbage. Theres a LOT of garbage on this level too(Doodlebops, Wiggles, Teletubbies, etc) This is the sort of Satanic programming we were warned about in the 80's, lulz:D
    JazzyAlphabet and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  5. SuperGzilla12

Mate... did you just compare THIS...

...to THIS?!?

6. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Oh sure it would. The perfect one-time showing date for this (or any other Oogieloves) film is Feb. 30th.

;)
  7. BobThePizzaBoy

8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There is one huge difference. That movie would have really been interactive instead of false interactivity like Oogieloves.

There is NO way that would have worked. I dunno how Clue worked before Home video, but a choose your own adventure movie seems completely impossible when it comes to logistics. It's probably not even feasible now with digital. What Jim wanted vs. what this movie did was that the yelling and shouting was supposed to do something to the movie. What this film did was just have people yell at characters that don't do anything and have a preprogrammed response, so if nothing happens, they sit around answering their own questions. Just like most of kid's television today.
    SuperGzilla12 likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Isn't that kind of like how Handmade Video was essentially similar to what we now call reality TV?
  10. Drtooth

In a sense, that's more akin to a vlog than what we call reality TV. Maybe closer to the travel shows on PBS if anything.

Because, as we know, reality TV is actually staged or goaded events edited down and manipulated, and half the stuff we consider reality is actual competition/game shows.
  11. SuperGzilla12

I'll agree with you on that.

At least Blue's Clues had off-screen children awnsering the questions. And even when Barney started talking to his audience (Which was around 2002, with a few earlier cases), he was either suggesting that they follow along with what the other characters were doing, or he was just asking them casual questions - The story was never supported by audience participation.

I think it's safe to say that we can blame that awful Dora the Explorer show for the cluster of "interactive" kid's series' that are out these days. :rolleyes:
  12. SuperGzilla12

I just want to add something to the thread.

From somebody who saw this at the cinema (And no movie since... I really need to get on that)... good lord, you people have NO IDEA how bad these Oogielove costumes looked on the big screen. :concern:
  13. Drtooth

Not a fan of Blue, either... but his was far more organic than Dora the Explorer. That's the one that broke kid's television. Of course, the show is supposed to be a computer game somehow, and it would have worked better as a computer game.

Still, the idea of a movie that has different sub-categories of what happens next that the audience can control, while it sounds like the coolest thing ever, was WAAAAAY too ambitious on Jim's part. I'm sure if he was still alive, we'd've seen a series of DVD's with that sort of option... maybe theme park attractions or very limited engagement films in theaters, but I don't see it being very mainstream no matter how it turned out. And I swear there were all these visions of the future stories in kids magazines about how that was going to be the norm now. I don't see anything like that catching on.

Also, I'd like to add... Rocky Horror didn't start out with people throwing toilet paper at the screen and reacting to lines. That happened after a while when some ans of the film were making fun of something that was already not taking itself seriously at all. Though I wonder if the Find the Fish segment of Monty Python's Meaning of Life had people shouting out at the theaters like the announcer told them to.
    SuperGzilla12 likes this.
  14. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I did see Clue in the theatre - the ending was prechosen by movie theatre, audience participation wasn't a factor.

Brilliant cast! Jane Wiedlin's cameo as a singing telegram lady was the most hilarious scene in the entire film.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  15. Drtooth

So that basically answers my question. They had prechosen endings, so they only needed the standard amount of reels. Jim's vision wouldn't have worked unless the films were put together in a certain way and shown at specific theaters with the variations, like that film.

And then when VHS and DVD came out, the film worked even better for a home audience, correct? Jim's film could have worked on home video, but it would have been perfect for DVD or even laserdisk. He was around for laser disk, right? Yeah. Weren't Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, and the rare dubbed version of Lupin III called Cliffhanger all Laserdisk videogames? I guess that could have worked like that. As a theatrical film, no.
  16. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

So, is this thing out on DVD yet? I'm guessing that if it was, the producers would market the ever-loving heck out of it.
  17. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth, on Amazon you can sign up to be notified when it becomes available to order. That usually means that it is coming, but a date hasn't been announced yet.
  18. Drtooth

It's a matter of defeatism or arrogance if this thing gets marketed. Considering the marketing for the film was TWICE the budget of production, I'd say arrogance over defeatism. If this guy didn't do it under his own production company, he'd be fired in a red hot second after the first weekend box office. That's hypothetically if he didn't get laughed out of the studio for proposing an out of date looking preschool film.

I'm sure when it hits DVD, there's going to try to be a marketing blitz, but the damage is done. It will probably make up something on DVD, where it should have been in the first place.
  19. BobThePizzaBoy

78 days since Oogust 29 and still no news about a DVD release. Let that speak volumes about this movie's quality and how it was received.
  20. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-------------
    Aaaaand so the tweens don't feel left out of this thread...

Yesterday Rifftrax retweeted this wise sentiment:
    For those of you being dragged by your significant other to the Twilight Marathon remember there's always @RiffTrax to help you.
    --------------