Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I sure am glad other people are FINALLY realizing that Disney HASN'T been handling the Muppets in the greatest of ways, or even to their fullest potential... they just wanted to own the Muppets for the sake of owning them, really nothing more... again, HOW many projects, under Disney's name, were we supposed to get, only to end up being shelved? A new series that was supposed to be a Muppety version of The Office (ugh), and a Halloween special leap to mind, and I know there's others.
As Oscar the Grouch would say, "Ding-Dong! You're wrong!"

Disney has been doing a great job with the Muppets--they're in a MUCH better place than they were a few years ago.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I have to say I do agree with Mr. Oz here, I mean the entire new Muppets movie felt like Cliche city with a few funny moments in between it and I mean a few. :embarrassed:

So yeah, I can see where Oz is coming from as the Muppets, while are are icons for families everywhere, have lost a bit of its edge over the last few years. :sympathy:
I'm sorry, but I think you're only saying that because Mr. Oz said what he said and only because he was a "Muppet pioneer". And just because he was such does not mean he's always right! :mad:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
But I disagree that if they did something different it would've been a flop. I think if they just let the Muppets be the Muppets, it would've been successful. And I'm sorry I don't think the characters are what they used to be.
Sorry, but it is true that anything else would've bombed. It's the truth and it's a reality that needs to be faced.

Plus, they so totally allowed the Muppets to be the Muppets in this film and the characters were very much in-character!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score

Disney has been doing a great job with the Muppets--they're in a MUCH better place than they were a few years ago.
Umm...I wouldn't entirely say that's true. Disney really didn't care about the Muppets until AFTER the movie was released and made the money that it did. It's JASON IMO that's carried the Muppets to a much better place NOT DISNEY. Disney only cares now because of the profit plain and simple.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Umm...I wouldn't entirely say that's true. Disney really didn't care about the Muppets until AFTER the movie was released and made the money that it did. It's JASON IMO that's carried the Muppets to a much better place NOT DISNEY. Disney only cares now because of the profit plain and simple.
Well, I will give you the fact that Disney wasn't sure about to how to handle them properly when the first acquired the franchise in the mid-2000's. However, things did start getting better for the Muppets as early as 2008, when they started producing those very fun and downright Muppety online videos, among other things (many of which wasn't, and still isn't, possible under the Henson Company's ownership), all of which lead up to the new film and got people interested in going out to the theaters to see it.

Now that the film was a success, at least we can all agree that the Muppets are back on top of the world again, where they should be.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Still they weren't shining like they are now. Like someone said Disney just bought them so they could say they owned them and then just kinda sat them on a shelf. And occasionally let them out for air. I don't give Disney credit for bringing them back to the top is all I'm saying. It was all Jason Segal.

MelissaY1

Reaction score

If Disney's doing such a great job with the Muppets, how come it's been like 4 years since Season 3 of the Muppet Show came out and we haven't gotten the last two seasons on DVD? If Disney was doing such a great job, they would've RAN with the opportunity when the new film came out to get the rest of the show out on DVD.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Sorry, but it is true that anything else would've bombed. It's the truth and it's a reality that needs to be faced.

Plus, they so totally allowed the Muppets to be the Muppets in this film and the characters were very much in-character!
I don't think any of us here including me could prove that any other approach to this film would've been a bomb. The point is, typical Disney went with the "safe" option.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Hopefully the next movie you will enjoy. As it's suppose to be the pure Muppet fun we've all come to love. I didn't mean to step on your toes heck I wasn't even trying to change your mind. I was just making facts as to why things with this reboot had to go the way it did.

I mean I'll be honest like I said when Jim Henson past away and MCC and MTI came out I left them. I was a snob in a way I thought well if Jim isn't around anymore why would I wanna have anything to do with The Muppets? And the stuff that was out leading up to this movie only gave me more resolve I didn't want anything to do with The Muppets. So you've been a more loyal fan then I have been. I guess I just take this movie personally because it brought me back as a fan. Probably more so then when I was a kid.

I just felt like The Muppets can now really do good quality things without Jim. Trust me Jim will always be Kermit to me no questions about that however I think Kermit and the gang are finally doing okay. :smile:
I had a couple of Muppet slumps over the years, the worst being in my teens when I foolishly decided to toss some of my Muppet collectibles away, and also during the time of Muppets Tonight!/MFS etc. again, still following and watching the shows and movies, but not really being "into" it.