Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have to say I do agree with Mr. Oz here, I mean the entire new Muppets movie felt like Cliche city with a few funny moments in between it and I mean a few. :embarrassed:

So yeah, I can see where Oz is coming from as the Muppets, while are are icons for families everywhere, have lost a bit of its edge over the last few years. :sympathy:
THANK YOU, someone else gets it!! :laugh:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm well aware that this isn't the past, but I don't think that means as a fan I should "move on". I still love the characters, and look forward to new projects, so why should I avoid something in the future if I still enjoy them? I didn't say I hated this movie. I liked it even better than I initially thought I was going to when I first heard they were making a new film, because I DID think it was going to be another MFS, and didn't have high hopes for it. I LIKED IT. A LOT, but just because I didn't LOVE it doesn't mean I should stop being a fan, does it? I mean, I'm glad people enjoyed the film and it did as well as it did, and an Oscar win for Best song is nothing to sneeze at.

But I don't understand that because I feel differently I should be told to avoid future projects. There's been several Henson projects I've enjoyed since Jim passed away, so my opinion (and that's exactly what it is) isn't solely due to the absence of Jim. I thought Muppet Xmas Carol, MTI, Bear in the Big Blue House, etc. were all great projects. I just felt after the build up "The Muppets" had it fell a little flat, that's all.
I never said you had to ban yourself as a fan forever. All I meant was if you think The Muppets aren't at their best now then in some peoples eyes I guess they never will be. If you didn't love the movie that's fine. I think I already stated if you didn't love it, or heck even hated it that was also fine. Because it's kind of boring if we all have the same views all the time on things. But all I'm saying is is god knows the 12 years leading up to this movie has been less then good to the Muppets. Heck I dumped them for 12 years because I felt they fell flat on their face.

I just know for me after seeing this film I finally felt like the Muppets could move on without Jim Henson.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I never said you had to ban yourself as a fan forever. All I meant was if you think The Muppets aren't at their best now then in some peoples eyes I guess they never will be. If you didn't love the movie that's fine. I think I already stated if you didn't love it, or heck even hated it that was also fine. Because it's kind of boring if we all have the same views all the time on things. But all I'm saying is is god knows the 12 years leading up to this movie has been less then good to the Muppets. Heck I dumped them for 12 years because I felt they fell flat on their face.

I just know for me after seeing this film I finally felt like the Muppets could move on without Jim Henson.
It was definitely a positive step in the right direction. I agree there have been some less than stellar attempts made in the past several years, but that's my point: I still stuck it out to see what they were going to do next because I still had faith in them and didnt' want to give up on Kermit and the gang. I just felt with the way this movie was hyped up, I expected a bit more :skeptical:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
It was definitely a positive step in the right direction. I agree there have been some less than stellar attempts made in the past several years, but that's my point: I still stuck it out to see what they were going to do next because I still had faith in them and didnt' want to give up on Kermit and the gang. I just felt with the way this movie was hyped up, I expected a bit more :skeptical:
Hopefully the next movie you will enjoy. As it's suppose to be the pure Muppet fun we've all come to love. I didn't mean to step on your toes heck I wasn't even trying to change your mind. I was just making facts as to why things with this reboot had to go the way it did.

I mean I'll be honest like I said when Jim Henson past away and MCC and MTI came out I left them. I was a snob in a way I thought well if Jim isn't around anymore why would I wanna have anything to do with The Muppets? And the stuff that was out leading up to this movie only gave me more resolve I didn't want anything to do with The Muppets. So you've been a more loyal fan then I have been. I guess I just take this movie personally because it brought me back as a fan. Probably more so then when I was a kid.

I just felt like The Muppets can now really do good quality things without Jim. Trust me Jim will always be Kermit to me no questions about that however I think Kermit and the gang are finally doing okay. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say I do agree with Mr. Oz here, I mean the entire new Muppets movie felt like Cliche city with a few funny moments in between it and I mean a few. :embarrassed:

So yeah, I can see where Oz is coming from as the Muppets, while are are icons for families everywhere, have lost a bit of its edge over the last few years. :sympathy:
Or we could have them bouncing around, lobotomized like in MFS. or not even playing themselves like MTI and MCC.

Seriously... this is the movie where they lost their edge? I don't get that at all. It's a far better path than the "Use Kermit sparingly, and don't let him emote or do anything interesting" path they were on until VMX.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Or we could have them bouncing around, lobotomized like in MFS. or not even playing themselves like MTI and MCC.

Seriously... this is the movie where they lost their edge? I don't get that at all. It's a far better path than the "Use Kermit sparingly, and don't let him emote or do anything interesting" path they were on until VMX.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! EXACTLY MY POINT!!! :smile::halo:

Or better yet have Kermit just not even care about his friends or even acknowledge Piggy's existance like in MFS. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
MFS was Gonzo's movie and the new character's movie. Other than that, the old characters seemed there for Brand Recognition.

And then Kermit wigged out in VMX, first on Piggy, then on his own Guardian Angle (twice), and like that, Kermit was BACK!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
MFS was Gonzo's movie and the new character's movie. Other than that, the old characters seemed there for Brand Recognition.
Still even if it was Gonzo's movie there was just no Muppet spirit there at all. It didn't even have anything to do that it was Gonzo's movie and Kermit wasn't the star because I love Gonzo but it was just so poorly done that it failed to put out what could've been a really great movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's great for the new characters, that's for sure. If the ENTIRE movie was about Gonzo getting an autopsy from VanNeuter, it would be the GREATEST Muppet Movie of all time.

Still, I wonder what Muppets IN Space was going to be like. Probably a better movie. Especially if they put Strangepork and Link in it.

I do like MFS and all, but there are just so many gaping problems with it that lacked the Muppet Spirit. Kermit was so flat, he didn't even need to be in the film.

That film just had directing issue all over it. And that's not even the overly fussed and worried script.