Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

Beauregard

Reaction score
*sigh* I was afraid that some people would take to Frank bashing when I posted this. *shakes finger at them*

I am actually so glad to hear from him slightly more specifically what it was that he felt was off...plenty of fans have said that something was off, but not specified as directly what it was...but he kinda got it there maybe. Sure, there has always been cuteness in the Muppets. But it was cute in a real-life sort of way, not in a "written to be cute" sort of way. Whenever there were cute bunnies on TMS you could almost always expect them to get eaten, squashed or blown up.

I adored The Muppets (I saw it 6 times in the cinema) but I'd still like to see a movie with them in where, if nothing else, they change the lighting and the camera angles to something more gritty and realistic and less Child friendly and High-def.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I kind of agree with Frank Oz. I LIKED the movie, a lot, but I didn't LOVE it and it was not a representation of the Muppets that I and others in my generation grew up with. It was a safe, Disney-fied, Hollywood version of the Muppets. It wasn't the fun, outrageous, campy Muppets we've seen in the past. I get they were trying to restir up interest in the characters, and appeal to new fans and a wider audience, but the Muppets accomplished that once before. Why fix something that ain't broke?

I guess Frank Oz, like myself is a soul of another era, but he has even more of a truth and right to his opinion since this company he once worked for and played an important role in, has deteriorated. I definitely think the Muppets' humor has watered down over the years to be kind of too cute and I know it's a different world now, and Jim is no longer with us, etc. But the Muppets will never be what they once were.
I fully disagree. The Muppets have NOT been "Disney-fied" in any way. And the new movie did a great job of reviving the Muppets and the movie they did was one that HAD to be made. Plus, the new movie was filled to the brim with classic Muppet humor and vibes, so such an opinion confounds me.

While I, too, respect Frank's work, I do agree that he has become awfully jaded in recent years and it's for the best that he's not with the Muppets anymore, especially when you consider the fact that most of his performances in the 1990's Muppet production weren't as strong as they were in the 70's and 80's--it was clear that he just wasn't up to it anymore.

His opinion on the new movie (which NEVER should've been asked for, IMO), while a tad understandable, just seems to across as mean-spirited and with a lack of an understanding that they HAD to make the new film what it turned out to be and that any "experimenting" probably would've made it fail, resulting in yet another road-block for our fur and felt friends (and goodness knows we do not need any more of them).

Maybe someday, he'll realize all that, but to quote The World's Oldest Fraggle, "I wouldn't hold my breath".

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I don't think Frank was being mean spirited at least that's not how I took it in this interview I just thought he was giving an honest answer and I respect him for that I hate when people sugar coat things...I mean he's said if other people love the movie and new people are getting into The Muppets that's great he just had his own reservations about the film.

I just think by the 1990's and especially after Jim died he probably and I've said this a few times in a couple threads when you've worked with someone that long and was practically your best friend or maybe even like a brother you really probably don't feel you could ever have that kind of chemistry or even closeness with anyone else. I don't think that connection was there for him when Steve took over as Kermit. Plus it must've made Steve awkward too. But I think Frank was pretty accepting of Steve as Kermit because I remember reading an interview and he was talking about the anxiety he was feeling about taking over as Kermit and Frank helped him a lot particuarly on the set of MCC.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That's what I've been saying: we know that for the longest time, whenever Frank did return for a few days out of the year for SST, it was to tape new inserts with each of his characters, but then shortly afterwards, he began doing Bert almost exclusively, and admittedly, those inserts weren't necessarily as strong as older ones, but then once they ressurrected the Grover/Mr. Johnson schtick, Frank started doing Grover again, and I'm sure because of the comradery and chemistry that was there even in the old days between him and Jerry when it came to the classic Grover/Mr. Johnson bits.
It would be interesting to compare some of the recent Grover/Mr. Johnson bits with Frank and some of the ones that Eric did. Seems Frank usually performs Grover in those, but I'm pretty sure Eric performed Grover in the Rhyme Day sketch and the two from season 41 (Letter G Games and V Salesman).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well for sure, Eric does also do the occasional Grover/Mr. Johnson bits himself, I'm just saying it's when they revived that schtick for the show like back in Season 37 or so, that's when Frank started doing Grover again after doing only Bert for a while.

It's interesting to note like the two-part Letter N Letter of the Day insert, the first part had Frank doing Cookie Monster, then after a sequey, David Rudman is doing Cookie while Frank then switches to Super Grover.

Hasenpfeffer

Reaction score
Could this be an example of why Hollywood practices "Ageism"? Old, inflexible, possibly out of touch with changes in taste, maybe his best years behind him? Disney turned down his script, and Oz can't bring himself to acknowledge the enormous hurdle, the new Muppet Movie, cleared. Segel, had to not only relaunch the property, but stay true to the characters and update and attract an audience that hadn't been born, when old school Muppets bit the dust, and not alienate the die hard fans. Jason accomplished all of this, in a bright young and charming way. All Oz can say is that it was too sweet..... dude, nothing is perfect! Let's not forget, that aside from "The Muppet Movie" , "Muppet Caper" and "Christmas Carol", the franchise has not been served well over these thirty odd years, and for this viewer that includes "Muppets Take Manhattan".

Drtooth

Reaction score
I adored The Muppets (I saw it 6 times in the cinema) but I'd still like to see a movie with them in where, if nothing else, they change the lighting and the camera angles to something more gritty and realistic and less Child friendly and High-def.
They did. It was called Muppet Wizard of Oz, and we all wish that one didn't exist. That was the Muppets own personal Batman and Robin.

I'm actually convinced that Joel Shuemacker hijacked production of that one. :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
They did. It was called Muppet Wizard of Oz, and we all wish that one didn't exist. That was the Muppets own personal Batman and Robin.
No no, that's not at all what I meant...MTM and TMM both have that realistic-gritty edge, GMC does to some extent. Its like they're afraid to let the Puppets get dusty these days, they are always pristine...fur neatly brushed. It was never that way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MTM was a special movie. It was the ONLY Muppet Movie without a tangible antagonist or villain (Dabney Coleman's bit was too short for me to count), relying on Kermit's own self doubt and unfavorable circumstances to bring the tension to the film.

And, like, didn't Frank not like that one either?

That's clearly what you meant, but I was making a joke. Well, partially... MOz is how a modern film producer would mistranslate as "gritty" and "edgy." It was just jarring and it looked like a BAD 1960's Batman episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They did. It was called Muppet Wizard of Oz, and we all wish that one didn't exist.
MWoO was nowhere near as bad as IAVMMCM... THAT'S the one we should all wish didn't exist.