Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I kind of agree with Frank Oz. I LIKED the movie, a lot, but I didn't LOVE it and it was not a representation of the Muppets that I and others in my generation grew up with. It was a safe, Disney-fied, Hollywood version of the Muppets. It wasn't the fun, outrageous, campy Muppets we've seen in the past. I get they were trying to restir up interest in the characters, and appeal to new fans and a wider audience, but the Muppets accomplished that once before. Why fix something that ain't broke?

I guess Frank Oz, like myself is a soul of another era, but he has even more of a truth and right to his opinion since this company he once worked for and played an important role in, has deteriorated. I definitely think the Muppets' humor has watered down over the years to be kind of too cute and I know it's a different world now, and Jim is no longer with us, etc. But the Muppets will never be what they once were.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I definitely don't think the Muppets are "too cute". When Frank's first opinion on the movie came out before the movie, I was a little skeptical, meaning that maybe or maybe not that Frank was right, but I liked the movie a lot, although some parts the movie could've done without.

The Muppets have always been cute but not too cute. They have a mix between cute and physical humor and explosions and also a lot of heart. I thought the movie had plenty of heart. But I do agree the Muppets are not the same without Jim, but at least they're heading in the right direction for once.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Maybe some people actually DO CARE what Frank Oz thinks I'm just saying. Although I will say if he still hasnt changed his view by NOW about the Muppets then he probably isn't going to. So I say either agree to disagree with him or just move on.

I personally feel each time he gets asked this questions it's like their trying to get him to change his mind.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm glad that he's at least given a more speciffic answer, given that interview a few months ago when he said he didn't want to talk about what he thought was wrong. Though this answer is a bit satysfying. After reading this I wonder if he'd been thinking of this longer, since there's been more time since that last interview and this one, but then again, I'd be surprised if he WASN'T expecting to be asked his opinions that first time around.

I don't think the recent Muppet productions have been "too sweet" or "too cute". Especially not compared to the older productions that Frank and the original gang worked on (well, maybe Letters to Santa played it a bit too safe).

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
You know, Beau, I feel like the Kermit/Piggy stuff, specifically, was played straight in this movie more than in any of the past productions. I don't remember them having lengthy Serious Relationship Discussions in the past without some kind of histrionics involved.
I love my frog and pig. :smile:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
And yes, he has moved on. Leave him be, mainstream media.
No one ever said he had to answer the question if he didn't want to. He could have easily said, "You know, I've done a lot of work with the Muppets, but that's in my past now, and I'd much prefer to talk about *insert name of movie he directed here*." By answering the question, it would appear to me that he has not moved on and there's some sort of ax to grind.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Since Mr. Oz feels this way, I wonder if he'll have any involvement with the sequel? Say like a creative consultant.

Why just sit and complain about the problem when you are one of the few very fortunate people that actually has the power and say so to help fix the situation?

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Okay first of all Frank wasn't complaining someone asked him the question and he gave an answer. He's only mentioned the muppets when it's been presented to him. And I don't think he wants to be involved with the muppets anymore. Plus if he has that many issues with Disney I doubt he's gonna wanna devote his time anytime soon. So he really doesn't have the POWER anymore.

He's said before that as long as people like them and if new people love them then he's happy about that regardless of his own personal opinions.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Interestingly, he said that he would only work for the Muppets again if Disney were to ask him. I wonder how likely Disney will be to ask him in the near future.