Dark Crystal II Directors Creating Hundreds of Puppets

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Dark Crystal sequel directors Peter and Michael Spierig keep it real with muppets

BRISBANE film-making twins Peter and Michael Spierig will emulate industry pioneer Jim Henson by creating hundreds of puppets for the sequel to the Muppet creator's 1980s classic fantasy, The Dark Crystal.

In a cinema world hooked on digital effects, the directors of Queensland-shot movies such as Daybreakers and Undead are keeping it real for The Power of the Dark Crystal 3D.
Puppets will return to repopulate the late Henson's magical world of "Gelflings", "Podlings" and "Landstriders".

"Where we can, we're keeping to the spirit of Henson," said Peter Spierig speaking from the Woolloongabba production house the brothers have established.

The Spierig brothers are just two of the brilliant Queenslanders featured in Qweekend's annual 50 Best and Brightest issue in Saturday's Courier-Mail.

One of the most ambitious film projects ever produced in Australia, The Power of the Dark Crystal 3D will run the gamut of audiences growing sceptical about remakes.

"We went to a convention not so long ago and we had a number of people come up and say, 'Don't you dare rape my childhood'," said Peter. "When one person says that, you take it on board. But when a bunch of people say it, you think, 'Wow, this really means something to them'."

"So the last thing we want to do is screw it up," Michael adds.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/enter...eal-with-muppets/story-e6freqex-1225955222271
Gahhh. More tantalizing factoids! :smile:

ThePortlyMuppet

Reaction score
:scary:Wow, that article was awesome! Thanks for posting it. I cannot wait for a sequel to the Dark Crystal...I just hope, as everyone else that it isn't butchered for the sake of cash flow. Not sure that I am so excited about it being in 3D.

Mupp

Reaction score
Not sure that I am so excited about it being in 3D.
Don't worry. For 3D movies, many theaters will often offer the movie in 2D as well.

So its really up to the theater patron which "version" that they want to see.

ThePortlyMuppet

Reaction score
Don't worry. For 3D movies, many theaters will often offer the movie in 2D as well.

So its really up to the theater patron which "version" that they want to see.
Great. I have prescription glasses and the 3D glasses just never quite work. =):insatiable::search::scary:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sounds good. Glad to know something is happening on "The Power of the Dark Crystal". But I do get tired of this "rape my childhood" phrase. I definitely hope this will be a good movie and won't just come off as a cheap attempt to make more money off of a proven product with a sloppy mess of a film, but even if it does come off as just a cheap sequel, it does nothing to diminish the quality of "The Dark Crystal" and everyone's childhood's virginity is still intact. If anything, that should make you appreciate the original movie all the more. I understand being a bit cautiously skeptical, but there's no need to be cynical. You can be cautiously optimistic that it will be good.:scary::concern::super:

Tom75

Reaction score
original cast and crew

does anybody know if, besides the Frouds, if any of the original cast and crew are involved in the new production?

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I know Lisa and Brian Henson are involved. They're keeping everything else really quiet. Hopefully, we'll know more soon! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
They should film a lot of it outside, in New Zealand...WETA could hook em' up with the LOTR/Hobbit crew:3

junebug1972

Reaction score
We just had a screening of the original last week with 10 neighbors and friends. My kids and I will be in line for sure on opening day!