1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dark Crystal II Directors Creating Hundreds of Puppets

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by MrBloogarFoobly, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Of course you are right :)
  2. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

Great news, I think the puppets were a huge part of the original as well as nearly all of Hensons work - CGI just isnt the same, and it doesnt draw me back to my childhood like puppets do. I hope the new film has the same 80s magic that the original did. I cant wait to see it.
  3. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

"Prophets don't know everything."
  4. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

lol

Clever. But, I think that line is taken out of context. She was answering Jen's question about riding those crazy Land Striders, not the validity of the actual prophecy and the destiny they both were on. But I see where you were going. :)
  5. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

One of the things I really think makes the Spierigs the right guys to make this - their film Daybreakers has the same kind of lonesomeness that makes so much of The Dark Crystal unsettling. It's all about atmosphere. The reason it scared me so much as a kid, and still gives me the heebie-jeebies today is because it feels very much like a world with little life left. There are only a certain number of Mystics and Skeksis, only two Gelflings, and just a handful of various other creatures. It's a scary world, and it's exactly what they're fighting for - to restore life and hope with a new population.
  6. fozziecub10

fozziecub10 New Member

YEs, they need to just ask PJ :D
  7. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

If DC2 had the same general look as a LOTR movie, that would be cool - they were gritty and realistic and the CGI went well with the real props and costumes.
  8. monster maker

monster maker New Member

so theres finally some movement on the movie, i hope it pans out, Dark crystal is one of my favourite henson movies
  9. BoomerangFish

BoomerangFish Member

haha, if only! That would be a dream come true for me.
  10. fozziecub10

fozziecub10 New Member

The Dark Crystal has a cult following, cult films are hard to follow up and hard to get funding and made because of the box office takings from its release. but then again saying that sometimes the sequels are better than the originals. Then again if it gets a bad review and a third and final instalment is written it could be better than both of them.
    Now the third one could include humans looking for a world to colonize and arrive and Thra would learn to live in peace after defeating/working with the humans lol.

Avatar like DC, hmm i thought Avatar was more like Pochahontis lol.

The Tokyo Pop comics are good but too similar to the storyof the original so I hope they dont adapt them as the story.
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually, Avatar is a lot more like the Osamu Tetzuka film "Cleopatra" in terms of the fact they virtually sent people from a spece colony (or something) back in time taking on different bodies... but I chalk that up more to co-incidence. I doubt anyone in the US has seen it, outside of conventions. I'm hard pressed to recommend it, but I just can't tell you to run away.

Heh heh heh... Ginzu Pop! Nah, no one in entertainment ever really takes the comic book versions of things into canon. Shame... I liked Skeeter being a secret agent. So I'd doubt IF this movie were to happen anyone actually sat down and read those things and worked the script around them.
  12. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I dunno ... JP3 I thought had a few concepts from the few comics I managed to read. Of course, they also referenced Dino Crisis, an unrelated video game, too.
  13. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

So no prequel/sequel? Cuz' it doesn't look it's happening anytime soon.
  14. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

I'm hoping Henson Co. will ditch Power of the Dark Crystal and start fresh -- greenlighting a prequel movie.

It really would be campy to have a sequel where the urSkeks come to Thra again just to check how things are going. "Hey guys, just stopping by to see how the Crystal of Truth is..."

Then the Crystal cracks again...

A prequel movie (or movies) is the way to go. You can have a totally new story and you can have your cake (The Crystal's cracked, the Gelfling race is back, the Skeksis and Mystics are still on Thra) and eat it too.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that this YA novel series will be a way to round up the fans back to the Dark Crystal -- get them interested again -- plus get some new fans along the way, before beginning production of a prequel/sequel movie.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  15. Beige Fraggle

Beige Fraggle Member

Didn't they finally decide to scrap the sequel after all the time it spent in development h-e-l-l?
  16. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

I would prefer a prequel too.
  17. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Well, Henson certainly did ditch Power of the Dark Crystal. No word on whether the film franchise is dead or not.