Anyone else think that D A is a bit stuck up?

zeldazipple

Reaction score
I been a member of da for 3 years and it used to be ok when people auctally commeted you on your ablitie not the fancy qeuiptment you used to produce it. I'm a triditinial artest always have been one, and I'm not fimlure with the digitial tools. Which mind you makes your work look great but it's not really you it's the computer making your talent way bigger. Maybe one day when I can afford the hundres of dollars that's requiared to make sutch remarkable peices I'll try some of it. Frankly I don't think that's what submitting your work is all about it's about enjyoing createing it. I just get a little annoyed beecause it makes me think they dont like what I did because it dosen't look digified.
If someone knows of another place that aprciates sketch drawings and maybe the odd digitial peice let me know.

superfan

Reaction score
zeldazipple said:
I been a member of da for 3 years and it used to be ok when people auctally commeted you on your ablitie not the fancy qeuiptment you used to produce it. I'm a triditinial artest always have been one, and I'm not fimlure with the digitial tools. Which mind you makes your work look great but it's not really you it's the computer making your talent way bigger. Maybe one day when I can afford the hundres of dollars that's requiared to make sutch remarkable peices I'll try some of it. Frankly I don't think that's what submitting your work is all about it's about enjyoing createing it. I just get a little annoyed beecause it makes me think they dont like what I did because it dosen't look digified.
If someone knows of another place that aprciates sketch drawings and maybe the odd digitial peice let me know.
I did some sketches of Muppets that you may enjoy. I got some nice comments in regard to the "traditional" method of using a (*gasp!) pencil! My username there is keepsgettingbetter. Check it out if you'd like.
And yes, the digital process is certainly popular. I can understand your point about it, but I'm not sure if that would mean that DA is a bit stuck up.

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Well I just feel as if triditioal work is being pushed aside beecause of all this digitial stuff. I have seen some great artest there and some of them I don't believe get as much attention as the digitial ones but maybe it's me I don't know. Whenever I ask for advise they always suggest me useing a digitial tool to enhence it, and maybe do some Manga work as well. I tried menga and found it to be very diffacult. I like drawing arthro, people, and fantacy. My tools are usueally pencils beecause that's what I'm best at but I can paint, and use other kinds of pencils and chalks. But usueally it's on canvis that's to big for my scanner. DA didn't always use to be like that. When I first joined I got a lot of comments on my work and now it just seems like it's less and less. I just want someoem to see my work and say it's good but try this to make it look more polished.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I dont go on deviantart anymore. I think it's too big, and it's more of a popularity contest than an artistic support group. It doesn't do what it's supposed to do anymore. Smaller artists get ignored, and that's not the point.

superfan

Reaction score
that's a shame. I haven't posted there in so long...oh, well.
Sorry to hear that.

SuzieChan

Reaction score
I dont go on deviantart anymore. I think it's too big, and it's more of a popularity contest than an artistic support group. It doesn't do what it's supposed to do anymore. Smaller artists get ignored, and that's not the point.
Heh... you got that point right. Since I discovered DA, I visited about thousands, or so, pages of many different artists and I've noticed the very same thing. It's sad to think that many REALLY good artists remain unnoticed by others, or even if they do get some attention they've got very little pageviews, comments etc., while many people who are very popular on DA have nothing special or original in their galleries - what I mean is that many of them often tend to keep repeating the same ideas for example: manga-styled children with cat ears. What also makes me feel annoyed is that to gain popularity every art piece in your gallery has to be coloured digitally or else it will go unseen :mad:.
It's not that I'm against drawing in manga style (I myself make such drawings) or anything, but I think people need to understand that a art piece doesn't always have to be a manga-like and digitally made to be considered beautifull, and also that many artists need to come up with their own ideas instead of constantly drawing same things as others, just because it's "super cute".
Luckily there is such page as, http://unseenartists.deviantart.com/ where everyone can join if they want to get some attention :smile:.

Kiki

Reaction score
I agree with you, ZZ. I love digital art and everything, I mean don't get me wrong, but the nice, hand-drawn art is very under-rated nowdays, esp. on DA. (Btw, my username there is KookyKiki in case anyone's interested).