Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 44

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Well, I guess we now know the name of that dance move Elmo commonly does: "The Elmo Slither." :stick_out_tongue:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4407: Still Life with Cookie.

Airdate: October 3, 2013.
Sponsors: N, 8.

What's the Word on the Street?: Texture.

Street Story.
Basically it's an extended art class where Alan trying to get Cookie Monster to not eat the bowl of fruit or his painting of the bowl of fruit. There are some good lines here...
Cookie: "This what me call mixed message."
Finally! We get the payoff from the overuse of the line "Good Enough To Eat" after the song sung by Cookie Monster.
Hey, Gina makes a speaking appearance complimenting Cookie's self-portrait.
Cookie: "Excuse me, texture hard to digest."

Highlights.
1 Celebrity/Muppets: Josh Somebody? and Abby present a magic fashion show to demonstrate "texture".
Josh: "Why am I wearing a burlap sack?"
Becaue you've been cast as the new bogieman!
2 Film: Shape Sculptures.
This was an excuse to teach "textures" while continuing the art project theme of the episode.
3 Muppets: Murray's Peeps in the Neighborhood with Joe the Sand Painter.
Okay... I understand trying to be hip for current audiences. But that rap, yech, give me Bob's signature song version any time of the day instead.
4 Animation: The Letter N Nuseum.
Though at least this is a new sketch for the requisit presentation versus the Alpha Boy N sketch, I'm tired of it just being a list of letter-specific words with visual representation.
5 Muppets: Celebrity Lullaby.
Elmo: "Elmo doesn't care if Ricky Jervais is a celebrity or not."
Ricky: "But I am a celebrity."
No you're not Number 2, know your role before we have Constantine come in and make you dance monkey!
6 Abby's Flying Fairy School: Macaroni Art.
7 More about sand painting with Joe.
8 Film: Some kid counts people in her family, bleh.
9 Muppets: "Eight Is Great".
10 Super Grover 2.0: A Wedge in the Door.
11 Murray makes a sand painting with Joe's help.
12 Muppets: "The ABC's Are Moving You" with Usher.
Apparently this episode was made for cross-promoting Muppets Most Wanted's human cast and cameo stars.
13 ETM: Pizza The Musical.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The street story was made all the better with Big Bird's cameo.

I never actually saw "Don't eat the Paintings," so I don't know if there are any parallels here... but seeing Cookie Monster go all cannibal-esque on a picture of himself was a new wrinkle. No wonder why they've decided to make the character the poster boy of self control.

And after seeing that same Super Grover 2.0 for the Whocaresillionth time, I just have to ask... why doesn't Super Grover just hold the door for the mouse? I mean, the humor is one thing, but it goes too far out of its way for the message that the most obvious solution gets thrown out the window.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... For some reason I'm reminded of that MB episode where Animal's in the role of Renoir, paints an artistic masterpiece when Piggy the can-can dancer asks him, shows it to be a cookie and takes a bite out of it. He asks her if she wants a bite, which she disgustedly declines... And then Baby Animal holds the painting up to the screen asking the viewer, "You want bite?"
:insatiable: Me love too! *Devours self-portrait.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm really sick of the "Cube Spin" transition. They have so many other options. Why don't they use 'em. It looks so much better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I probably just tune that out as I barely notice it... but I always say, why transitions when a simple cut will do? I mean, it's not like this is a Filmation series (other than Fat Albert, they all seem to have one). Nor is it as interesting as the Autobot to Decepticon symbol flip, which at least showed that not only the scene changed, but a different group of characters are coming up.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The street story was good. Finally we got a street story with Big Bird. The WOTD bit was good. The Peeps in the Hood with the sand painter fit with the story, but I'd rither watch a new Murray Has a Little Lamb instead. The song with Usher was very good. Did anyone else notice the thunderclap that was added to 8 Is Great? It gives it something new for the bit, since we've seen it 4 times! Can someone please tell me when the Sesame Street Alphabet will air? I can't wait to see it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm going to be brutally honest.

I love the Count. He's one of my favorite characters, and I'm glad they had a back up plan to keep him on the show when Jerry passed.

But "8 is Great" is... well... not the character's best song. It almost seems like something out of a shallow Sesame Street parody on some other show. I swear there was some shampoo commercial with a puppet parrot going "8 is Great" years before this segment even popped up, and somehow I think it validates my point. Plus, it's just so generic. Elmo could have sung the thing and it wouldn't have been different. I don't see why they didn't tailor it more with the Count (i.e. give it some pipe organ notes, set it in the castle, throw some bats in there) other than the numbers tie in. Other than the fact the Count sings is, I just don't care much for it.