Zoom

doctort13

Reaction score
Hubbi Frubbens

I was a kid in the 1970's and grew up in the Boston area. I also watched LOTS of TV...Zoom was a favourite of mine. As an adult I lived near the WGBH-TV studios and drove by it daily on my bicycle commute to work in Cambridge.

It's too bad the new Zoom was dropped, I guess kids of the 21st century are too busy with their game-boys & cellphones.:grouchy:

doctort13

Reaction score
You're right

By today's TV standards 6 years is a l-o-n-g time.

Katzi428

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
By today's TV standards 6 years is a l-o-n-g time.
Well to the best of my knowledge, the old Zoom lasted 6 years.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Actually it ran from 1972-1981 the official site for the present day series has a section for those to post questions and that's the exact date they give. However they only made 6 years worth of episodes making the last 3 years of it's run just being reruns.. I don't know the reason for that I myself do remember the original series though probably didn't follow it all that well but I myself sort of recalling it going off the air about that time. It's amazing You get different informantion from different sources.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I remember her....

mikebennidict said:
1 of the zoomers Edith Mooers who was on the original series has a birthday today. she turns 41.
I remember her. Her opening intro showed her playing a flute. I also remember another one named "Mike" whose opening intro showed him throwing a ball and then catching it, too.

I always used to watch Zoom as a kid. I remember "The Barrell", the jokes, the "Zoom Doodles" and, of course, the "Ubbie Dubbie" talk (which I still don't understand to this day! LOL!) It's really sad that it's being canceled - again!

Remember the old closing poem? "You got an idea sittin' on the shelf? Send it to Zoom! Send it to Zoom! Or a poem or a play that you wrote yourself? Send it to Zoom! Send it to Zoom! Or a doodle or a riddle that no one can guess. Or something for the barrell that's a sure success! Then you write it all down with your name and address. But you've still gotta send it to Zoom! Who? Thats Zoom; Z double o,m, box 350, Boston, Mass. 02134! Send it to Zoom!!!!":stick_out_tongue:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, they ceased production on the current series due to low ratings. But here's something somewhat strange. I emailed WGBH and asked them about why there's no mention about it on the shows official website? They said the producers felt it was time to refresh the series and at the same time PBS became interested in creating a new series to further its goal of attracting 6-8 year olds. That in itself is kind of interesting because while we know Zoom's not aimed at the preschool audience I thought the show's target audience was greater that that since the zoomers range from 8-13. As it is with the exeption of Between The Lions which it's audience is aorund early elementary school age, most of PBS's programming is pre-school age. But the strange thing is the person responding says while it's out of production they still will be airing Zoom for at least the next 2 years. Sounds strange for them to says it's no longer popualer and continue to air it for a while. Now the original Zoom ran from 1972-1981 though they ceased production after 6 years. Now I wouldn't know anything about that but with The Electric Company that went out of production in 1977 becuase of cost which is why it probably continued in reruns 8 years later and the show was probably still popualer.

Ringlet

Reaction score
I loved this show when I was a kid. I watched it, Wonderama, Electric Company, Fat Albert and about 100 more. (Okay. That may be a slight exaggeration.)

I still watch Zoom once in a while. Too bad they're cancelling it. I think the current version is still a good show.