• I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

anathema

Reaction score
Honbrifcl said:
I am really astonished!!!! I stumbled over this one:

https://www.empiricalfilm.com/products.php?iProductID=308&iCollectionID=77

Does enybody know what this is? Do they already sell all seasons? Uncut?? Region free??? Or is it low quality? Exactly as shown on TV: they taped them from TV?
Maybe one of you know what this is...??? Are they trustworthy?
Is this legitimate? Does anyone have experience?
I don't doubt this is a bootleg. Copies of this turn on eBay pretty much daily, too.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've also seen something like that with "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch."

You're saying ebay just puts stuff up like that to rip people off? It would be pretty unlikely that they would have an entire "Muppet Show" box set after they just released the first season.

KCJ506

Reaction score
Honbrifcl said:
I am really astonished!!!! I stumbled over this one:

https://www.empiricalfilm.com/products.php?iProductID=308&iCollectionID=77

Does enybody know what this is? Do they already sell all seasons? Uncut?? Region free??? Or is it low quality? Exactly as shown on TV: they taped them from TV?
Maybe one of you know what this is...??? Are they trustworthy?
Is this legitimate? Does anyone have experience?

I don't think this is real. Notice on the Season 2 cover there's a picture of Piggy dressed up as the Queen of Hearts. That was in the Brooke Shields episode which was in Season 5.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It can't be real because we wopuld have heard from Disney if they were going to be releasing all seasons. It's certainly NOT official, it's someone's bootleg copy.

That Announcer

Reaction score
She's right, it's a bootleg. The same thing happened for "MacGyver" before it was released officially back in last September (or so), but I think the bootlegs were withdrawn with the release of the official DVDs.

anathema

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I've also seen something like that with "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch."

You're saying ebay just puts stuff up like that to rip people off? It would be pretty unlikely that they would have an entire "Muppet Show" box set after they just released the first season.
eBay almost certainly don't know about it. Bootleg recordings turn up in their hundreds every single day. There are a number of people selling bootleg Muppet Show sets, Fraggle Rock sets, the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, the theatrical Star Wars trilogy...and those are just the most common ones. I've been ripped off by someone selling the (very rare) UK VHS release of 'Tale of the Bunny Picnic'. When the tape arrived, it turned out to be a very poor copy-of-a-copy.

The basic problem is that given the vast number of items that get listed every day, it's simply impractical for eBay to monitor every one. Sure, if they spot something that infringes their rules it'll get taken down, but generally they'll only act if the offending item is brought to their attention. And from experience, they don't give a monkey's unless failure to do so would result in trouble for them - after all, they'll make money off the sale...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to remember not to fall for that one when I see them do something like that with TV shows.

By the way, we kind of got of subject. I asked about the Frank/Richard Miss Piggys and I never really got a response. Everybody just started talking about the entire series box sets.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I'd like to return to the Miss Piggy issue. I'd like to see if anyone has some input there.

I caught the Muppet Morsels in the Bruce Forsythe episode and it says there by that time Miss Piggy is developed, so it's Frank performing her pretty much all the time.

It also mentions that Frank had a difficult time performing Piggy because it was hard to find his feminine side. Maybe that explains why Richard still performed her at times. Especially in the Harvey Korman episode. I guess they had Richard perform Piggy the whole time there while Frank was still figuring out how to perform her. I've noticed that in the scenes with Piggy in that ep, they gave Frank a few minor characters who could have been performed by anyone. I guess her personality wasn't quite developed back then. And according to the guides here, Richard performs her the whole way through in the Ben Vereen episode which is a bit surprising for a later episode. I guess I'll have to wait to get to that one on the DVD and see what was up with that.

I guess that's all I'll say for now. Again, I'm sorry to be pushy. I just wanted to get back to the original topic.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
And according to the guides here, Richard performs her the whole way through in the Ben Vereen episode which is a bit surprising for a later episode.
She only appears in one scene in the Ben Vereen episode, Vets Hospital, in which George the Janitor (also a Frank character) is the patient. This sketch may have been taped earlier, by the look of it. This one and VH from the Rita Moreno episode are the only times when the patient's head is at the left side of the bed.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
By the way, we kind of got of subject. I asked about the Frank/Richard Miss Piggys and I never really got a response. Everybody just started talking about the entire series box sets.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I'd like to return to the Miss Piggy issue. I'd like to see if anyone has some input there.
Have you thought about starting a seperate thread about this? After all, the original subject was about the season set. Just a thought.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that in the Candice Bergen episode that Richard was still performing Piggy when Frank was performing other characters (Ex: :attitude: :embarrassed: ). That's where I got a bit confused in the Harvey Korman episode. There Frank was performing other characters while Richard was performing Piggy, but the other characters were basically minor characters who weren't regulars and could have been performed by anybody. But I guess at that point Piggy wasn't completely developed and Frank was still trying to figure out what to do with her. It is a bit strange in the UK spot for the Peter Ustinov episode though that Frank is voicing both Piggy and Fozzie. I could see that in a later episode, but it's quite unusual for season 1.

In response to your post, Minor Muppets, I have thought of starting a seperate thread, but I thought I'd wait and see if I got a response here. That is something to take into consideration.