Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
saw someone post about deadly and i wanted to put my 2 cents in too...i actually after had explain to a friend who he was and his connection to the Muppets and why he "Betrayed" Tex Richman....i mean it wasnt to bad and after my friend understood it better but a small movie line...or maybe him pulling out an old Muppet picutre would solidified that part more so everyone understood with out a wiki visit over just us older fans

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Regarding Uncle Deadly, in the novel it's clear that he's a fan of The Muppets but is intimidated by Tex Richman. Not sure if the movie shows signs that he's a fan, but I'll find out tonight.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Regarding Uncle Deadly, in the novel it's clear that he's a fan of The Muppets but is intimidated by Tex Richman. Not sure if the movie shows signs that he's a fan, but I'll find out tonight.
well i mean all of us who have seen the Muppet show know of Deadlys past with the Muppets so to us his line makes sense, its the general audience who maybe a little lost

even out of context the line isnt extreme confusion some could go " oh i get it since he is one of the puppets he is a Muppet" but with the past knowledge it makes for better story

Frogster

Reaction score
Something I've kinda thought about lately... the movie does seem rushed sometimes. I felt myself saying, "Oh yeah, there's a villain in this movie, too!" or "Oh, right Veronica." But there are only 3 things I would have changed:

1. No Animal story (he's the comedic input, not a main character)
2. Take out "Me Party"
3. Include both the award show bust and Piggy & Kermit's breakup.

Honestly though, these are minor things when you consider the final cut and the reception it's gained. Plus, this is also the perfect movie for Muppet fans who have ADHD... look at all those Muppets! You get distracted when there's a big group of them. And along with that, you're paying close attention to their mannerisms and seeing if they talk to someone else. I don't think I even heard what Kermit said backstage- something about the show going well- when I looked behind him and saw Sweetums high-five one of the Geri & the Atrics. And I think the director kinda planned this, because it's extremely evident when the camera shines on everyone outside the theater during the finale, especially when Kermit says, "And you, and you, and you, and you..." This was a really fun film.

And Lew Zealand's right... celebrities aren't people lol

Muppetgirl1

Reaction score
I love the Movie I saw it twice in one day it was so AWESOME I hope The Muppets make more Movies I love seeing them on the Big Screen it was the #1 movie EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::wink::big_grin::cool::crazy::super::laugh:

Narpin

Reaction score
The whole 'we need to put on a show to raise money to save the theater' thing was the whole plot of 'Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie'.

Rachel Bitterman and Tex Richamn were essentially the same.

That said, I loved the movie. And while the plot was almost the same, I think I enjoyed 'The Muppets' more than 'Very Merry....' (<--- which I also loved!)

Was I alone in thinking this?

Slackbot

Reaction score
One thing that's surprised me from the very beginning is the inclusion of Crazy Harry, especially in such a prominent role. You know how highly people regard nutjobs who blow things up? I'm surprised that Disney didn't say "This guy's gonna remind people of terrorists. Let's leave him out." Not that I think they should have; maybe this is a sign that people are less paranoid than I thought.

Also, I was prepared to be a little unhappy at the removal of arm rods. I like to see the nuts and molts, and I was a little concerned that they might try to make arm movements too realistic. Nope, didn't happen. I completely forgot about it. When Walter danced around, he still looked like a puppet, and when Fozzie demonstrated the whoopie shoes I flashed back to the dance at the El Sleezo. Nice work!

Frogster

Reaction score
The whole 'we need to put on a show to raise money to save the theater' thing was the whole plot of 'Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie'.
Yeah I agree, but it's not set in Christmas. Plus, Richman isn't the owner of the theater like Bitterman. Also, Richman gives it back to them after all. That was more, "It's A Wonderful Life."

TripleG

Reaction score
In a post 9/11 World, I am stunned that a character that is a dark skinned bearded man that indiscriminately blows things up would be very PC, but in the last few years, I've seen more of Crazy Harry than I have since he was phased out of the original Muppet Show.

dwmckim

Reaction score
For those complaining that Gonzo didn't get enough screen time, I'll defend the amount of time he did get for this reason.

Throughout the 90s, Gonzo had basically become the lead Muppet. With the unfortunate passing of Jim Henson, and reduced time for Frank Oz, Dave Goelz' Gonzo was basically the last full time Muppet from the big four (him, Kermit, Piggy, & Fozzie). He was most prominent Muppet in all 3 of the 90s Muppet films and even had Muppets from Space be all about him. And I haven't seen all of Muppets Tonight, but from what I recall, Gonzo, Rizzo, Statler, & Waldorf were the only regularly occurring characters from the old crew as the rest made special appearances while the show focused on a load of newer characters like Pepe, Clifford, Bobo, Andy, Randy etc.

Basically my point is, I love Gonzo to death, but I had my fill of him in the spotlight and it is nice to see a return to prominence for Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, and even Rowlf & Scooter who were basically retired after Jim Henson & Richard Hunt's deaths.

Gonzo had his big moments, and that made me happy. I'll be honest, the scene where The Muppets go to pick up Gonzo might have been my favorite part of the movie. It was weird to see Gonzo acting so professional and then dump all of that to become the wonderfully wacky Gonzo we all know and love. We also got to see him do his Trumpet gag in the Muppet Show theme, which was great.

And without spoiling it, the payoff to the bowling ball gag was fantastic. When they were singing the finale, I was sitting there thinking "That can't be the end!" and then Gonzo's pay off happened and I was like "YES!"

So yeah, Gonzo did just fine in the movie and I was happy with what they did with him.

As for Rizzo? I have no idea why his role was almost nonexistent. I THINK he was the small Muppet sitting on top of the opposite end heavy looking beam that Amy Adams carried across the screen and I saw some Rats skating around, but Rizzo was never specifically referenced or acknowledged in anyway, which was disappointing. Granted, I was happy to see some of my old favorites who haven't had time to shine in while (Rowlf, Crazy Harry, Uncle Deadly) get there couple of moments, but it felt wrong giving a scene to Pepe, Lew Zealand, & Beauregard and not Rizzo.
Like a lot of things and people, Rizzo fell victim to massive cuts. At least he could still be seen in a crowd scene unlike a fair number of celeb cameos who ended up on the cutting room floor.

This was very much The Muppet Show Movie...and on the original Muppet show, Rizzo rarely spoke; he was typically popping up making little cameos. So i'm okay with his little screentime.