Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something I noticed wasn't mentioned in the review, though I think it was in the last two... what images appear on the DVDs themselves? Is the disc art available anywhere to view?
Animal is on disc one. Fozzie is on disc two. Piggy is on disc three and Kermit is on disc four. Modern posers are used in all the photos.

David French

Reaction score
The closing credits are specific for those episodes (and also Spike Milligan), however, if you mean the closing shot of Zoot, yes that is the same one on every episode to reflect the Muppets Holding Company copyright.
It was the closing shot of Zoot I was referring to, so technically the set isn't "uncut".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If there is additional interview footage shot, then maybe the next two sets will have additional documentaries, reusing this footage. Since Jerry Juhl appears, I wonder when they were recorded. How ironic that the first season set was originally intended to have a Jim Henson retrospective that stil hasn't been released, the secodn seasons et had Muppet interviews that were recorded in 1999 but not released to (or even known about by) the public until last year, and now this one contains interview footage shot who knows how many years ago.

I thought that both pilots weren't included on the first season set because of limited disc space. All of the seasons have the same number of episodes. So I wonder how they could get a one-hour documentary and other features on this set. Sex and Violence, the pitch tape, and the few promos on season one don't neccessarily add up to an hour. Have discs been able to get more space for videos in the time since the release of season one? Are the number of epsidoes on each disc the same as on the first two (six on disc 1, seven on disc 2, six on disc 3, and five on disc 4)? Or is there a disc with 8 episodes so that room could be used for The Muppets on Puppets on whichever disc it's on (probably disc 4)?

It's a shame that Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson weren't interviewed for the features. Jerry Nelson has participated in interviews on the Fragle Rock sets, and I'm sure that Disney could have gotten Frank to participate in an interview of sorts.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
I'm very disappointed about the "A company of Players" nothing new in that, basically they say what they always say. Kevin Clash and Bill Barretta are misplaced, they should not be in it at all, it creates a illusion that they were part of the company when TMS was shoot. Kathryn Mullen only makes one minor remark at the end lasting about 10 seconds. Disney could have done a better job with it.

I haven't seen the rest yet, I will now sit back and check out "Muppets on Puppets" and the commercials. I expect those two will make up for the disappointment of "A company of Players"

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Just received my copy...yay! First thoughts are how poor the Fozzie packaging is. It's fuzzyness has not worked very well at all - I kinda wish that I'd got the standard printed packaging, never mind though, I'm now gonna settle down for an evening with the Muppets!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thank goodness that the set (aparantly) includes the songs Happy Birthday and Somewhere Over the Rainbow, two songs that I was concerned would be cut.
I'm delighted to hear they haven't cut any musical numbers. And there isn't an odd added repeat skit (like S2 had) is there?

Especially Happy Birthday. Man, the two women that still own that must be bitter greedy snots. I've heard they're impossible to deal with.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Whoopee,

Got mine in the post today, Thanks for the heads up Reevz! Its amazing that I have it here in the UK, when its a USA release, and not available until Tuesday.

Anyway, not had chance to watch any yet but so far so good, the fuzzy Fozzie packaging does lack detail of the fur, but its OK, The cover artwork is disappointing, the audience scene inside is a really nice picture, but its so annoying that its made up of individual pics. There are so many nice images of The Muppet Show era, but we always get the modern posers.

Anyway, thats my only gripe, now to start watching....

Chris

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Just a question, do the bonus features have chapters and subtitles?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
My other packaging related ponder is 'why are Kermits hands so flipping small on the back?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
People are already getting theirs? Dang! And I spent the money on one-day shipping.

(hoping it'll be here tomorrow so I can spend my weekend on it)

*sigh* My arrival estimate is for Wednesday. :frown: