Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't even bother with those "I have a webcam, I can swear, Let's watch something I just found out about and rip it apart" things. If I want to see MST3K, I'll WATCH MST3K and not someone who THINKS he's MST3K.

I'm not going to bother reading or watching or whatever it is... but after years of reading comics based off of outside media (movies and TV shows), the Muppets are by FAR the best of the bunch (with Darkwing gaining on their tail), especially after reading ho hum personality devoid Looney Tunes with bad 1970's style Freeling wanna be style guide art.

That said, loving Muppet Mash number 1.

analeisa

Reaction score
I just wish the Nostalgia Critic would review one a classic Muppet film.
I would be SO happy if Nostalgia Critic reviewed a Muppet movie. That said, like RedPiggy, I didn't much like Last Angry Geek's review of the comic book. The puppet bits weren't funny and I just dissagred with his opinion.

Skeeter WAS a developed character because we learned quite a bit about her. We to see her interests, personality traits, and how see reacts with a variety of characters. Personally, that's what I liked best about the arc. Her interactions with Scooter and Robin were sweet and brought them to the fore front again. She doesn't step around Piggy like others do. Skeeter purposely stepped on her toes. :stick_out_tongue: I'll miss the contrast that she brought.

Anyway! I haven't read Muppet Mash yet but I'm looking forward to it. I love Amy's art lots but I missed Roger's cartoony and vibrant style.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I guess you could argue he did, as he reviewed Follow That Bird (though he couldn't be mean about it, to hilarious effect). I think some song called "Professional Pirates" or something from MTI was counted in a countdown of good villain songs.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that I've wondered about Family Reunion is if any of the characters who appear in it (besides Skeeter) were included because of Amy Mebberson's desire to draw them. I know that she doesn't really like drawing obscure characters just to please the fans, but still....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I guess you could argue he did, as he reviewed Follow That Bird (though he couldn't be mean about it, to hilarious effect). I think some song called "Professional Pirates" or something from MTI was counted in a countdown of good villain songs.
"Saying Goodbye" and "I'm So Blue" were also in the NCs countdown of the "Top 11 Saddest Nostalgic Moments", and the Nostalgia Chick reviewed Labyrinth.

Regarding that review, while I didn't agree with the poor rating I did find it funny. I think that was the first-ever negative review of a Muppet Show Comic Book. I thought everybody liked them.

It is interesting how they mentioned that they hadn't seen the first three issues... At first I was confused, as there are more than three issues before "Family Reunion". I wonder if they are aware of the initial "repeat the numbering after four issues" strategy not to mention the fact that there's actually an "issue #0".

dwmckim

Reaction score
One thing that I've wondered about Family Reunion is if any of the characters who appear in it (besides Skeeter) were included because of Amy Mebberson's desire to draw them. I know that she doesn't really like drawing obscure characters just to please the fans, but still....
I'm guessing yes. When Roger writes his script, i'm sure he outlines the basic story but not all the details of the visuals which gives Amy her creative decisions - such as visual running gags or which characters to include in backgrounds - take the splash page of the first Family Reunion issue - the decision to include Luncheon Counter Monster and the Java Muppets for example was probably Amy's as opposed to Roger's.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm guessing yes. When Roger writes his script, i'm sure he outlines the basic story but not all the details of the visuals which gives Amy her creative decisions - such as visual running gags or which characters to include in backgrounds - take the splash page of the first Family Reunion issue - the decision to include Luncheon Counter Monster and the Java Muppets for example was probably Amy's as opposed to Roger's.
I was referring to characters who might have been a bit more featured, like Bobby Benson and his Baby Band, or Wayne and Wanda.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Of course Amy herself can pop in anytime once she sees the discussion, so all my answers are educated guesses but things like that i'm sure would have been Roger. Not only was that more story, but that was all stuff i would have expected from him under "normal" circumstances of him doing the story/art.

Amy

Reaction score
The decision over which Muppets to feature in skits are all Roger's decision.
Muppet characters wandering in the background or in the audience are mostly mine. Occasionally Roger will mention 'Put *such and such* in there somewhere', but it's mostly my call on cameos.

I'm very proud of Family Reunion, I don't care what some reviewer says. It was a big thing to bring Skeeter in after 25 years and try and make her as well-rounded as the regular cast as possible, especially as Roger wasn't all that familiar with Muppet Babies. I was RABID about that cartoon as a kid, so the fact he did such a great job writing Skeeter using only some character notes I wrote up for him is testament to how GOOD Roger is at The Muppet Show.

The only thing I regret is that there wasn't time for me to colour the comic myself. Maybe BOOm will do a special edition down the line and I'll get to recolour it the way I envisioned it would look.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm very proud of Family Reunion, I don't care what some reviewer says. It was a big thing to bring Skeeter in after 25 years and try and make her as well-rounded as the regular cast as possible, especially as Roger wasn't all that familiar with Muppet Babies. I was RABID about that cartoon as a kid, so the fact he did such a great job writing Skeeter using only some character notes I wrote up for him is testament to how GOOD Roger is at The Muppet Show.
As you should be. It's one of the finest arcs we've had. And I'm not saying that to flatter you. The art was beyond amazing, and the writing had a more focused feel to it, where we saw more story... more plot. Indeed it felt deeper than some of the other arcs (which are still wonderful, at any rate). Guy must've just stumbled on the comic, and not really read the rest of the series.

Sigh... if only they could bring your vision of Skeeter to life in other merchandising. What an amazing action figure that would have been.