Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of when the hard cover TPB is getting released? I preordered on Amazon and I see that the paperback TPB has been released and I would have assumed they would come out together. Just curious!

Thanks!

Anyone? Anyone? A little help? Maybe some Lunchables? :search:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to read the Muppet Robin Hood I bought a couple days ago, and first of all, for me to get a real opinion on it, I'm gonna have to read them all together from the beginning.

But all I can say is, I think I enjoyed it a lot more than anyone else here, but I see exactly what people are talking about and why they aren't fans of it. I'm going to agree word for word with Tough Pigs's assessment... while the writing is Muppety, he's still saddled with the task of having to actually tell the story. So we get these long pages of exposition... mainly in the first and third issue. And I'm going to agree with the Narrator of the comic.... Robin Hood is such a deep, expansive legend.... it really MUST be hard to get it down to a 4 issue miniseries. Heck, It's probably a chore to get it into a long running series.

But this issue proved that it can be Muppety... the whole segment where the cast attacks the writer and forces him to rewrite a happy ending, causing a weird segment written by a guy who doesn't speak English and has a strange obsession with the Swedish Chef (which the book actually takes into the storyline)... classic. Absolutely. And referring to the "voice" in Janice's head as Jerry (even though he was drawn to be the Muppet Newsman) was just brilliant. The ending seemed a bit abrupt, though... but again... the legend of Robin Hood, and a fractured one at that in a four issue comic...

I'm sure I was supposed to get Fozzie's line "And they said it couldn't be done!" Was that a reference to a specific Robin Hood?

The art... well, I think I enjoyed it a lot more than anyone else did, but I see why people don't like it. The artwork itself looks like it resembles more of a Medieval style storybook quality... and there are clear and obvious manga influences (a lot of crosshatched anger marks... something even I use) and certain facial expressions. Some characters he gets down well and work in his stylization, others don't. And his Miss Piggy reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld with the woman that looks beautiful in the right lighting and angles, but looks completely unattractive in other angles. But I LOVED his Sal and Bobo. Hated his Clifford, except for that one close up, but I loved his Sal.

And I think at the end when they mention the aerodynamic pies, they should have been depicted instead of flying fish.

And for surprised guests...

How's Fleet Scibbler grab you? Not to mention Beauregard, Spamela Hamderson, Andy and Randy and... I think there was one more, but I can't remember at the top of my head.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Do Statler and Waldorf appear at all in the story?

Also, considering that Janice was among the merry men (so much for Robin Hood only having one female character...) and the rest of the mayhem (except Lips... Right?) being the crusades... Does Janice's character eventually join them?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Do Statler and Waldorf appear at all in the story?

Oh yeah... VERY important role near the end. Without revealing too much, they are instrumental in the fight at the end.

Also, considering that Janice was among the merry men (so much for Robin Hood only having one female character...) and the rest of the mayhem (except Lips... Right?) being the crusades... Does Janice's character eventually join them?
I don't want to reveal it, but your question is answered on the last page.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Comicbookresources now has previews for both Peg-Leg Wilson #3 and Muppet Peter Pan. Both are good so far, though with Peg-Leg Wilson #3 there are no signs of obscure characters (just major and original characters), though I'm sure they'll appear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just got around to reading Peg Leg Wilson 3 last night...

Very interesting... the Perils of Piggy was included here... and that's a pretty obscure segment. Certainly not as well known as Muppet Labs, Pigs in Space, and even Bear on Patrol... Roger does a GREAT job with Deadly's design here...

It sure gets deeper into a plotline than any of the previous comics... we saw less sketches, and less obscure characters in the background. and there are quite a few new creations that fit perfectly in the Muppet Universe. And I really like that the story was taken out of the Muppet Show yet again, where Gonzo goes to the Library (so that's where Mildred was all this time!)

And let's not forget the wonderfully weird Animal board game comic, the Pigs in Space and closing number with a robot Piggy double, and Kismet's cheating and stealing.

Another good issue, but I can't wait to see how it all ends.

haakonsmary

Reaction score
Just read Muppet Peter Pan #1. I really gotta commend Grace and Amy on a wonderful job and a thoroughly enjoyable issue. The characters' voices shone through and were true to themselves. I really loved the art and appreciated how the characters stayed true to their Muppet designs. The gag of having Scooter's eyes attached to his glasses when he took them off made me laugh out loud, since it's what would have happened to the actual puppet if he had performed that action. Speaking of eyes, I love the attention to detail Amy uses when drawing Piggy's eyes and eyelashes, which are spot on. And I loved seeing Bean Bunny have a significant role again. He was one of my favorites when I was a kid (probably because I grew up in Orlando and got to see Muppet Vision 3-D a lot). Looking forward to the next issue.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Very interesting... the Perils of Piggy was included here... and that's a pretty obscure segment. Certainly not as well known as Muppet Labs, Pigs in Space, and even Bear on Patrol... Roger does a GREAT job with Deadly's design here...
Is Wayne in that segment? I figure Perils of Piggy is the on-page title (the "Perils of Piggy" title was never used on the show), and you are referring to the melodramas. And I figure it's just as obscure as the talking houses or vendaface.

I think the "On the Road" storyline was in development for awhile... I believe that Langridge mentioned a storyarc in an interview long before it was announced that after this storyline they'll stop renumbering after every four issues. And he said it'd be a "logical progression from this one". But I wonder, once all storyarcs planned before the change was made get published, I wonder if there'll be more self-contained issues or if the majority will be storyarcs.

I had thought that holiday issues would be neat, but also felt it would be hard with the four-issue format (four months of a christmas story, anyone?). But now that the numberign won't change, I'd like to see a christmas issue next year, as well as other holidays. The Muppet Show never had any holiday episodes. so it'd be neat to see the closest thing to a Mupet Show christmas (or halloween or thanksgiving, etc) episode.