Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

ISNorden

Reaction score
Trash Gordon overdose

Is it just me, or does anybody else miss the occasional episode endings without Trash Gordon in them? Bert opening birthday packages with the sponsors, Telly (if I remember rightly) hatching them from eggs, Big Bird explaining them while pretending to be a spaceship...I appreciated that kind of variety in the older seasons. This time, the endings have been wall-to-wall Trash (no pun intended); I suspect that most Season 37 episodes reuse the same letter/number combinations as an excuse to repeat the same Trash Gordon chapters. :-( When I see a new ending this time, I'm writing a thank-you letter to Sesame Workshop.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't mind trash at all. With or without him is fine with me.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
Is it just me, or does anybody else miss the occasional episode endings without Trash Gordon in them? Bert opening birthday packages with the sponsors, Telly (if I remember rightly) hatching them from eggs, Big Bird explaining them while pretending to be a spaceship...I appreciated that kind of variety in the older seasons. This time, the endings have been wall-to-wall Trash (no pun intended); I suspect that most Season 37 episodes reuse the same letter/number combinations as an excuse to repeat the same Trash Gordon chapters. :-( When I see a new ending this time, I'm writing a thank-you letter to Sesame Workshop.
Wow! I didn't know that. In most recent episodes I've seen, they end with Trash Gordon, unless you're thinking of season 34 before that segment started. I sort of thought since season 35 the only ones without Trash Gordon endinds were the two-part eps. (Ex: Snuffy's magic ukelele, Little Big Bird) You may be right though. I haven't always watched the endings. That would be a good idea though to just do TG on occasion, just like they did with Journey to Ernie, the Spanish Word and Number of the Day. That way we'd have more 'regular' endings.

I finally get a new ep today, but unfortunately I won't be here. I guess I'll just have to look for more new episodes next week.

alizakaila

Reaction score
tuesday episode

today at the end of Zoe wants hair like Rapuznel was "scramalot." Very cute. They even mentioned a shrubbery. Also Fat Blue was on as well! Good episode

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahem... Trash Gordon is the sketch they conceived back in Season 35 to be the capper for all episodes, or most of them anyway, where Trash Gordon would proclaim the sponsors for that particular episode.
The chapter numbers do repeat... And there are some sketches that are repeated, take for instance the one with the Massively Menacing Meatball from 4109 and 4127, but the sponsors are different in each Trash Gordon sketch (predicated on what that particular episode's sponsors were).
Hope this helps explain a few things.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Loved today's new episode....

First off, lemme say I kinda think it IS funny that Scramalot is a parody of Spamalot... it's a parody of a parody. Actually, more like a parody of a musical remake of a movie that's a parody of historic legends and a parody of a musical based on said legends. I fl it did pretty well, considering it's difficult to reference or homage Monty Python and trying to capture the same essense of their style. South Park came close on the "Great Expectations" episode, Histeria! reworded the Cheese shop sketch to deal with the boston Tea party, and there is a skit about Anne Bolin (sp?) from an old SNL in which she discusses ways to die with one of the guards (it's on the Phil Hartman DVD) that came close.

The Grouches seemed Pythonic enough. And the song they sing is an amalgamation of the "Spam" chant and the "Knights of the Round table" song from the Musical and the original Holy Grail movie. I have been fortunate enough to actually see Spamalot on stage (Pricey dang tickets, though... it was a gift) so I can say that the Spam song was only breifly referenced in the "Knights of the Round Table" song. Funny it was about rhyming... the original song has a line that goes, "often times, we're given rhymes that are quite un-sing-able"

As for the other segments... anyone care about the "Squirrel Nut Zippers" or knows who they are? Didn't they like stop being popular back in the Clinton administraition? I hate the fact they reuse so much... the Time to play's repeat segments are as annoying as first season JTE, if only for repetition)

The main street segment was pretty funny too, dispite being an Elmo/Zoe episode. I especially liked the "Hair" parody.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
You know, since today's episodes theme was hair. I thought it would have been cool if they aired that clip from 1969 where Kermit talks about Hair. Another good one they could have used today would have been the one when Ernie cuts all Berts hair off also from 1969. I think they worry too much about things being outdated. It's hard to know how their minds work at the Workshop.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I really have never seen kids of that age group complain when something looks "outdated" on TV.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Drtooth...
The South Park episode where they explain Phillip's origins, yeah I remember that one.
Hysteria!'s Boston Tea Party/Cheese Shop sketch was amusing and it did remind me of the Python referencial basis.
The Snl sketch you're talking about is from the Candace Berghen episode, where she's discussing the different manners they were to put her to death. You can hear her yelling in pain from the axeblows offscreen while having her head chopped off (or at least implying said death manner).

Oh... And speaking of parodies or injokes...
Did you catch the James Bond reference at the beginning of the Birdland sketch with the Squirrel Nut Zippers?
Grover brings Mr. Johnson a glass of milk stirred not shaken.
Mr. Johnson: "No! I wanted it shaken, not stirred! A milkshake!

Funny little barb.