Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984 DVD

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A'ight then... he sounded very much like Marty... but then again, I've found some times Brian Meehl could sound like Richard at times.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hold the phone... did they replace the music during the busride montage in Episode 1706?

I also wasn't aware that "Me and My Chair" was an already-existing song before the Traction Jackson shorts, but it doesn't entirely surprise me, it seems like half of the songs we may hear today have been in existence at least since as far back as day one.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
After all this time, I finally got my own copy today (obviously as a Christmas gift). I must say that this is a great set, despite a few minor disappointments. For the most part, I pretty much skimmed through both discs, and mostly watched the stuff that was new to me. Those included the episode scenes for 1446 and 1576, I Say Banana, The first part of Weather Around the World, Big Hello 1-20, Snowflakes, Trash Outta Heaven, the original In/Out, the Behind the Scenes footage, the How to be a Grouch story, and the interview with Caroll Spinney. Eventually, I'll watch Episode 1316 with Sonia's commentary, when I get a chance. I especially loved the little character drawings that pop up on the menus. The booklet was especially fantastic (especially the character sketches and pullout).

But, all in all, Old School Volume 3 is a great DVD set, and I sure hope that Sesame Workshop and Warner Home Video bring out a 4th volume next year, or so!
One highlight that I enjoyed and forgot to mention was the insert in Episode 1446 where Gordon rides his bike around the city. I loved the feel of the film, and of course that funky music.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I agree, I really enjoyed that particular highlight as well; I liked how every body was so quick to wave to him, and him waving back... you try to wave to people today, and they're like, "Uh... do I know you? Get lost."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just finished, so many great things on this volume that I really enjoyed; I loved the inclusion of "Frog in the Glen" (one of my favorite Kermit songs), "Cooperation Song" (I remember so well from my childhood), and I was shocked to see those multi-colored drawers in the Fix-it Shop with Luis and Barkley's "In and Out" song, I only remember those from the ATC era.

I do have one little nitpick though, but I'm sure Oscarfan probably has the answer to it (why he's not a book yet, I dunno), but the DVD lists the bit as "Henson Ball #3"... wasn't that film actually done by Frank? I seem to recall reading that was one of the very few things that Frank actually did for the show (though I know Jim did a number of little films, such as the counting films, King of 8, the dollhouse, among others).

I only have one minor quibble though: I KNOW there's more behind-the-scenes footage from Grover's Singing Waiter insert, it was seen in the A&E special, though Frank's anecdotes were heard over most of them, so you can't really hear any thing, but there is at least one shot where we see a stagehand catching the dish as it falls off Grover's tray. I just felt that particular feature left a bit to be desired.

Other than that, now I'm RULLY anxious for a volume four set which would cover 1984-1989, which was probably my favorite era of the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I do have one little nitpick though, but I'm sure Oscarfan probably has the answer to it (why he's not a book yet, I dunno), but the DVD lists the bit as "Henson Ball #3"... wasn't that film actually done by Frank? I seem to recall reading that was one of the very few things that Frank actually did for the show (though I know Jim did a number of little films, such as the counting films, King of 8, the dollhouse, among others).
Jim Henson produced it while Frank Oz directed it.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I got it yesterday. I love it! I love Sonia's commentary. Especially when she says she wants Mumford and Abby to interact. But why no Brian Mehul Elmo? They say in the booklet that he debuted during that time.