Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984 DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984" finally arrives on DVD this Tuesday November 6. Read our review of the anticipated release. Check it out and let us know your thoughts.

Since many of us will be getting "Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984", we'd like to mention that if you order the DVD from Amazon using this link that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly and help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD box set. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through links on our site.

As discussed in our Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 DVD review, some of you may experience difficulty playing the second DVD. In order to determine the extent of this glitch, if you experience the problem of not being able to navigate past the main menu on disc 2, please post here and let us know the exact make and model of the DVD and Blu-ray player you are using.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 29, 2012: Sesame Workshop has informed us that Warner Brothers home video have set-up a 1-800 number to address anyone experiencing problems with Sesame Street Old School disc 2 and will send a replacement disc to the consumer. Find out the details here to order a replacement disc from Warner Brothers.

If you plan to buy Old School Volume 3, please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Do they really have to pay royalties for their own theme song?
I have no idea why they can't clear up their own theme song that they wrote for the show, especially since that has never ever been a problem in the past. The replacement music gives it away that it is the problem. It's not a deal breaker, neither is not including one Deena and Pearl sketch, and I will still get this, but this is something they should have worked out sooner. We're all glad this is being released, but it seems that this one was rushed out for the Holiday shopping season. That explains the glitch in the second disk. Hopefully there will be a disk replacement system and a wide distribution of second copies. I do not mind waiting longer to buy mine if they can fix that with second shipments.

mjb1124

Reaction score
So are the opening/closing harmonica theme cues removed as well? What about the funding credits? In any case, call me overtly obsessive and fanatical if you will, but their inability to clear their own theme song has left me inclined to not support this release. Perhaps if there were a big assortment of bonus clips with some real lost gems, I might be willing to overlook the omission, but as it stands, I will not be buying this DVD.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So are the opening/closing harmonica theme cues removed as well? What about the funding credits? In any case, call me overtly obsessive and fanatical if you will, but their inability to clear their own theme song has left me inclined to not support this release. Perhaps if there were a big assortment of bonus clips with some real lost gems, I might be willing to overlook the omission, but as it stands, I'll pass on this release.
Then that risks the chance of there not being a fourth volume. Beggars can't be chosers. I'm not happy the theme's been cut, but there is a lot of great material on this set otherwise. I'd buy it for the rare Nobel Price sketch alone. We waited five years for this thing and I wouldn't want it to be the last if this one doesn't sell.

And who cares about the funding credits? I honestly don't get what everyone's deal with those are. Yeah, they sound funky, but that's all they have going for them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So... Does the "Dr. Nobel Price Umbrella" behind-the-scenes clip correspond to anything that appears in this set? All other behind-the-scenes clips do.

Wow, it looks like none of the bonus clips include The Count or Herry (unless they are part of "the cast" in Trash Outta Heaven). Considering Jerry Nelson's recent passing it's a shame that there seems to be a lack of bonus clips featuring his characters. It's also shameful that no Count segments appear as bonuses when one Count segment is cut and only three other Count segments appear among the episodes. The Count was also hardly represented in the bonus features on the past two Old School releases and was hardly in the 40th anniversary set.

If this doesn't sell well enough to justify producing a fourth volume, I hope they can make some classic releases like the Elmo's Magic Number releases by containing two full episodes on one disc. Heck, I'd accept that for a release of 1990s episodes.

mjb1124

Reaction score
I realize I may be in the minority, but if there are future volumes, and they're treated like this, then I won't be supporting them either. The funding credits and Friday credit crawls alone wouldn't have been a make-or-break deal for me, as much as I am a completist and have a fascination with how they've evolved. But the fact that they can't clear their own theme song in any form is just ridiculous, and I also feel like they dropped the ball with classic clips compared to previous releases.

Sorry, but I just don't think it's worth shelling out the money for episodes that aren't at least presented in something close to their complete form (and that were aired on Noggin), just for a handful of rare clips that will probably be uploaded online soon enough anyway. Your mileage may vary, of course.

zns

Reaction score
"Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984" finally arrives on DVD this Tuesday November 6. Read our review of the anticipated release. Check it out and let us know your thoughts.
Wonderful review Phil. This is definitely something I might add to my Christmas list. The episodes sound great, despite the edits. And the bonus features are enough to wet any Sesame Street fans appetite. Thank you so much for this great review.

P.S.
Will there be a review for the new book coming out "Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal"?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I realize I may be in the minority, but if there are future volumes, and they're treated like this, then I won't be supporting them either. The funding credits and Friday credit crawls alone wouldn't have been a make-or-break deal for me, as much as I am a completist and have a fascination with how they've evolved. But the fact that they can't clear their own theme song in any form is just ridiculous, and I also feel like they dropped the ball with classic clips compared to previous releases.

Sorry, but I just don't think it's worth shelling out the money for episodes that aren't at least presented in something close to their complete form (and that were aired on Noggin), just for a handful of rare clips that will probably be uploaded online soon enough anyway. Your mileage may vary, of course.
I don't mean to sound rude, that's a very "fair-weather fan" mentality.