Your Thoughts: Sesame Street 50 Years and Counting DVD Set

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Reminds me of the late 90s-2000s days when we all thought it was just a case of Noggin giving in to political correctness, when we were proven wrong and that this edit happened long before Sesame Unpaved came about.
I think it was both. Sesame Workshop censored it back in season 2, and then Noggin edited it from a season one episode. It doesn't seem like it aired much after season two (and I guess the season one recording was the only copy most fans had all these years).

I remember years ago, reading the lyrics on The Sesame Street Lyrics Archive, and that page actually has the "birdies!" mockery in place of "ya sissy!" This leads me to believe that it was on there, I wonder if the webmaster for that site had a copy or was remembering that line.

I'm hoping that Scott or Shane gets a post-season one episode with "Everyone Likes Ice Cream" soon so we can have confirmation on if it was edited the same way back then. Or somebody can view them at one of the public television archives when they get added. And technically we do not know that it didn't air after season 15 - maybe it is in one of the episodes that the archives has, though there's a lot of unknown episodes to go through (and of course the archives is currently closed).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really can't decide if this should go here or in a thread about 50th Anniversary Celebration or it's own thread, but this set was able to include "I Remember", which hadn't even aired on the show yet (and I haven't checked to see if it has aired in a season 50 episode yet), then it was included in 50th Anniversary Celebration but was cut, along with the scene that introduced the segment.

I'd like to think that since they got everything cleared to get it on one DVD release that it should have been in the DVD release of the special as well, it'd be odd if when negotiating the contracts they only allowed it to be on one home video release (though it wouldn't be the first thing released on one home video that was later cut from a home video release of a special or episode that had it). But I wonder if maybe they cut it from the other release because it was included here and didn't want it on two 50th anniversary DVD releases. Though if that was the case, I would have rather they not include it here so that the special could be uncut on DVD (while the scene leading to it wasn't one of the specials biggest highlights, it was still a nice scene).

I know on the Toughpigs forum Joe said that he tried to avoid too many of the segments that have frequently been released, or tried to include alternate, less-common versions whenever possible, and mentioned including this to avoid the usual "Bread, milk, and butter" segment (which has only been released on video twice, though I am glad they didn't include it again here). Maybe it would have been better to have included the remake, or The Word on the Street: Remember, for it's representation. Then again, I'm not as big a fan of the segment as many others are (though I can't decide if it's overrated).

When it comes to content that has been released on DVD before, especially the ones that have been released many times (or the more recent ones that have already been released again with this), it is fun to wonder which ones Joe picked and which ones were picked beyond his control (and I have seen some confirmed). I'd be surprised if any of the previously-unreleased content (side from maybe a more recent bit) was chosen by a higher-up.