Your Thoughts: New Green and Red Christmas CD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After listening a few times, I noticed an irony. In the first few productions where Eric Jacopson performed Fozzie and Miss Piggy, such as It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, The Muppets Wizard of Oz, and Muppet Party Cruise, I thought that Eric Jacopson's Fozzie sounded perfectly close to Frank Oz's Fozzie, while I thought his Miss Piggy voice sounded too whiney, but on this album, where the characters are only heard and not seen, I think that his Piggy voice sounds just like Frank Oz's, while his Fozzie sounds less like Frank Oz's Fozzie. Perhaps Eric Jacopson is improving with Piggy, while deproving with Fozzie (maybe his natural voice is changing, effecting his Fozzie voice).

It's too bad that there weren't any music videos for these songs, or even a christmas special to promote the album (or vice versa). All of the songs sound good enough to have some visuals. Miss Piggy already sung Santa Baby in It's a Very Merry Mppet Christmas Movie (I wish that this album also featured Everyone Matters, as performed by Kermit and Gonzo, and maybe with the entire cast finishing the song), so there's already visuals there. I picture Kermit playing the banjo, wearing a santa hat and sitting on a log in a snowy forrest in Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Gonzo and Rizzo singign The Most Wonderful Time of the Year at nighttime in a big city street, Fozzie at the comedy club in The North Pole Comedy Club, Rowlf at the piano in a party room in The Christmas Party Sing-Along (accompanied by Baskerville, other Muppet dogs, the chickens, the penguins, the rats, and maybe also some familair characters), both of Dr. Teeth's songs having similar visuals to Night Life (in other words, on top of the Happiness Hotel bus at nighttime, or maybe playing the keyboard ina convertable), The Man with the Bag having the whole Electric Mayhem (including Lips, and maybe also some additional musicians) in the regular Electric Mayhem setting from The Muppet Show, A Red and Green Christmas having Kermit and Piggy in front of a red and green background (with visuals of the things they describe), The Christmas Queen having a similar setting to Santa Baby, and The Christmas Smoggleboard having The Swedish Chef on stage (with a black background and some lights) with some swedish back-up singers (I expected to picture this song to take place in the kitchen).

And the top ten christmas songs that I would have liked to have seen performed on this album are:
1. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas with Johnny Fiama and Sal
2. Oh Christmas Tree with Robin and Sweetums
3. I Want a Hippopotumous for Christmas with Bean Bunny (or Robin)
4. The Chrismas Song with Rowlf and Scooter (or the cast)
5. Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime with Bunsne and Beaker (or the Electric Mayhem)
6. Merry Christmas Darling with Janice
7. All I Want for Christmas is You (not the song from Elmo Saves Christmas) with Janice and Rowlf (I imagine the christmas playing in this song to sound like Rowlf's piano playing)
8. Last Christmas with Kermit and Miss Piggy (or Floyd)
9. Very Merry Christmas with the entire cast
10. Do You Hear What I Hear with Kermit and Fozzie

Marky

Reaction score
I never got it, and now it's too late to care!

Davina

Reaction score
it's never too late to care!!
after all... Christmas does come round again later......

Marky

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure I'll care a lot in December.

:wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Davina said:
it's never too late to care!!
after all... Christmas does come round again later......
Nah, didn't you hear? This year was the last Christmas ever!

(Hehe, sorry couldn't resist)

Marky

Reaction score
That's kinda funny.

Reminds me of all those specials about Santa, and him always having the gall to say that he'll "have to cancel Christmas". I can see Jesus saying "Okay then, I'll cancel your birthday."

rexcrk

Reaction score
Marky said:
That's kinda funny.

Reminds me of all those specials about Santa, and him always having the gall to say that he'll "have to cancel Christmas". I can see Jesus saying "Okay then, I'll cancel your birthday."
Haha I always thought of that too :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway I got the CD for Christmas and I've listened to it quite a few times. Overall I'd say it's pretty good. I think that Bill Barretta's Dr. Teeth voice sounds too much like Bobo, and also his Rowlf and Dr. Teeth sound very very similar (I could usually tell when Jim was performing Rowlf, and when he was performing Dr. Teeth). It was cool to finally here Pepe sing. And I do think that Bill does a great job doing the Swedish Chef's voice.

I think that Eric Jacobson does a great job with both Piggy and Fozzie, yet I can't help feel that his Animal is somewhat lacking.

And of course how can I talk about how I feel about new performers with old characters without mention John Kennedy as Floyd? Honestly I think he did a good job with this recording, and I'm sure if this wasn't JUST audio it would be not as noticably different... the same can be said about Bill with Rowlf and Dr. Teeth.

By far, my favorite track is Gonzo and Rizzo singing Most Wonderful Time of the Year! Gonzo and Rizzo have such a great comedy, and since I was born in '88 and practically raised on "newer" post-Jim Muppets, it's very natural to have them as a duo. I have to give major props to Dave Goelz for still being with the Muppets and performing Gonzo and Zoot.

And just something funny I noticed, whenever the singer of the song was listed as "The Electric Mayhem" it was just Dr. Teeth singing, yet for Man with the Bag it listed "Floyd, Zoot, and Animal" even though Floyd says Dr. Teeth is playing keyboard in that song.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Grammy Nomination

The nominees for the 50th annual Grammy Awards were announced last week by The Recording Academy. This year's awards, recognizing the best albums and recordings released between October 1, 2006 and September 30, 2007, will be presented on February 10, 2008 with the ceremony being televised live on CBS (check local listings for details).

Anyway... "A Green and Red Christmas" made the list of nominees for "Best Musical Album For Children"! "

I wish the Muppets the best of luck and congratulate them on this exciting nomination. And if you haven't picked up this wonderful holiday album, be sure to get your hands a copy today!

Davina

Reaction score
woohoo.. that nom's great news!
hope they win!

and if nothing else.. means we might see some muppets at the grammy awards... hehehe