Your Thoughts: Muppets Most Wanted on Blu-ray and DVD

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree actually. They are not voice actors, they are puppeteers first and foremost. Which is why I always thought they should have moved on to new characters, rather than do recasts. Obviously they did try to do that over the years, with varying degrees of success.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I agree actually. They are not voice actors, they are puppeteers first and foremost. Which is why I always thought they should have moved on to new characters, rather than do recasts. Obviously they did try to do that over the years, with varying degrees of success.
I'm a supporter of both. Without the main cast of the Muppets, they'd die on the vine. That's just how it is. I believe that's why The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight struggled in the ratings. Both introduced too many new characters while classic ones languished in the background.

But yeah, new characters create new dynamics and they keep the Muppet spark alive.

As for successful recasts, this is how I'd order them:

Fozzie, Floyd, Sam, Rowlf, Dr Teeth, Swedish Chef, Uncle Deadly,
Lew, Beaker, Crazy Harry and Sweetums all seem pitch perfect to me in both voice and personality.

Miss Piggy, Kermit, Waldorf and Statler sound a little different at times and their personalities seem to have become a little watered-down over the years.

Animal seems a little off in personality, but close his voice is near perfect.

Scooter, Robin, Janice, Newsman, Link and Pops sound a tad different but their personalities are close to spot-on.

Of course, these are all fan nitpicks I wouldn't give any of them less than a B. I think they've done a great job. I wouldn't change a thing.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
All of the recasts are just fine. They sound enough like the originals that you'd believe they were the same characters. Remember, Jerry Nelson personally chose Matt Vogel to take over his characters, and they chose David Rudman to take over Richard Hunt's characters because, they were close friends and David knows Richard from the inside out.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
If David Rudman were to do the voice for Polly Lobster, would his voice for the character sound exactly Kevin Clash's voice for the character or would it sound nothing like Kevin Clash's voice for the character?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
If David Rudman were to do the voice for Polly Lobster, would his voice for the character sound exactly Kevin Clash's voice for the character or would it sound nothing like Kevin Clash's voice for the character?
I'd think it would sound pretty darn close. I've never seen David do one of Kevin's characters before though.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
On voices it will take time to get use to the new ones. On both the performers and the fans sides.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
As Kermit would say "good grief!" I'm watching the movie again as we speak. And none of the voices are weird, out of place, mouths not moving right, whatever other criticism is out there.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
One voice I just can not stand is Pops. No offense, but even though there are quite a few recasts that I do not think really work, I cope with it, but Pops sounds far too off, I am glad he only had one line in MMW or I would be cringing throughout the whole movie. Though, this is not complaining, I am thankful that the new performers are trying their hardest, and doing their best to keep the muppets alive. After awhile, the voices sink in to you, and you do not mind it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well this is a wonderful turn of events. First off, the Amazon Instant Video of MMW is down to #30 in "Movies and TV on DVD and Blu-Ray". That is still good, but it never made it past #10, oh well that is good enough. Now, the wonderful turn of events is that the DVD of MMW which basically fell out of the top 100 in less than a week is back in the top 100 at #93, there may be hope for it after all. Also, MMW's Blu-Ray is at #100 in "Movies and TV on DVD and Blu-Ray", and it is good to see that in the top 100 again, hopefully it goes up.