You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Schfifty

Reaction score
Not to go on a political tangent in relation to the presidential race, but notice the spectators at Ted Cruz's speech from last Saturday in this pic?

I mean...is this seriously what life is like now? This just makes me yearn for the days when we didn't have to record presidential candidates' speeches through smartphones and tablets, let alone portable technology in general. It's one thing for some people in the audience to capture a speech, but if almost everybody's doing it, then something's changed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean...is this seriously what life is like now? This just makes me yearn for the days when we didn't have to record presidential candidates' speeches through smartphones and tablets, let alone portable technology in general. It's one thing for some people in the audience to capture a speech, but if almost everybody's doing it, then something's changed.
I'll just out and say it. The internet has ruined politics. It really should have enhanced them, but it took what made the 24 hr. News cycle awful and multiplied them exponentially. Facebook went from how teenage girls bully each other to 40+ year olds swapping not fact checked "news items" and clamoring how everything is so gosh darn PC everyone else is these days! The irony isn't lost on me how the same exact blogs and rants online that the left thought would get rid of Bush once and for all bit them on the butt, hard. It would almost be funny, but I don't want to go into that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back in the 1990s, Warner Bros. released a number of Looney Tunes laserdiscs, most of which were not on VHS. What's up with that? So maybe the fact that they had 14 cartoons per laserdisc, when Warner Bros. was only putting out 5 or 6 cartoons on each Looney Tunes VHS at the time (and the highest number of cartoons per Looney Tunes VHS from Warner Home Video was 8, back in the Golden Jubilee Collection), but they couldn't find some way to make an equivalent for VHS (maybe release the two sides of each release separately, like MGM did with The Golden Age of Looney Tunes, or just pick and choose and make some exclusive to the laserdiscs)? I know that the 1990s brought quite a few classic animation releases on laserdiscs that didn't get VHS releases, but somehow those Looney Tunes laserdiscs seem like some kind of mix of collectors-market and kids-market.

At the time, there were many laserdisc releases of TV shows, specials, shorts, and stuff that combined the contents of two VHS releases. I wonder if they considered putting out existing Looney Tunes VHS tapes on laserdisc that way. There was a series of 6 VHS tapes in 1992 that could have been combined (there were only five in the 1993 series, so one would have to be one-sided). A better-sounding decision would be to include two Golden Jubilee tapes onto each laserdisc (I have thought in my head about how they could have combined them - Bugs/Elmer, Daffy/Porky, Friz Freling/Sylvester and Tweety, Chuck Jones/Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, Mel Blanc/Foghorn Leghorn, and Speedy Gonzales/Pepe le Pew). I wonder if the Golden Jubilee videos were still in print when WB did laserdiscs. I thought they were discontinued in 1992, but I was recently reading the history section of The Bugs Bunny Video Guide (an awesome read) and it seems the author thinks they were still in print in 1996 (at the time I had a sudden increase of interest in Looney Tunes, but that was the only Warner-released Looney Tunes VHS collection that I couldn't find copies of for sale, only for rent, and none of the video rental stores that opened afterwards had them).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is something I've been noticing for quite a while now, but is there actually some specific reason why every single hotel is having its entire exterior painted in different shades of orange now?

mr3urious

Reaction score
This is something I've been noticing for quite a while now, but is there actually some specific reason why every single hotel is having its entire exterior painted in different shades of orange now?
Maybe because they're warmer colors and they're trying to provide a more homey feel to their business.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So in last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory, Leonard, Sheldon, and Howard went to apply for a patent, but they contractually have to let the university they work for get 75% of the profits... And then it's revealed that Howard isn't entitled to any of the profits because his employment there is on loan from NASA. Since when is he officially a NASA employee? I know that he went into space once but I didn't think he was a full-on employee (I would have thought there'd be more episodes or at least more mentions of him working for NASA), especially since he had worked at the university long before he went into space.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On the tvshowsondvd website, how come the page for news of new Looney Tunes DVDs is listed as "The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour", instead of just Looney Tunes? The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour only ran on TV (under that title) for one season, doesn't seem to be one of the more fondly remembered titles, and hasn't ever been represented on DVD (whereas linking footage for The Bugs Bunny Show has been released on the first five Looney Tunes Golden Collections, the openings for The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour, The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, and The Porky Pig Show have all been included as bonus features on the second Golden Collection, and full episodes of The Porky Pig Show and The Road Runner Show have been included on Warner Home Videos Saturday Morning Collections). No such honor has been given to The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour.

This is reminding me of something I wanted around the times I was in middle school and high school (after having heard about various Looney Tunes shows on the internet). I wanted there to be video releases of The Bugs Bunny Show, The Road Runner Show, The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour, The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, That's Warner Bros./The Bugs 'n Daffy Show, and others. Maybe it was because I knew that those shows always had the same cartoons grouped together (for the most part Nickelodeon and the Turner Networks didn't, though I've read that Nickelodeon did until 1992, and some of the Cartoon Network shows - Toonheads, The Bob Clampett Show, and The Tex Avery Show - did). I didn't think at the time that the cartoons would most likely be presented as they were on the shows, meaning they would be edited (I think I figured they would be missing the WB openings and "That's All Folks" closings, not to mention show-specific title cards replacing the opening credits).

Drtooth

Reaction score
This one always bothers me. There are a couple things that get my goat in cartoons. The ambiguous nothing language they use in certain shows to give the show a pathetic cultural ambiguity. Because nothing quite says "this takes place in any country" like freaky alien gibberish that doesn't exist anywhere on Earth. I do like how in MLP, how they just run English letters that form real words together.

But the thing that really is inexcusable and obnoxious when it comes to reading in an animated show is this. Why do they never get the direction a book opens right? Why is the title cover always on the back of the book instead of where it belongs? I don't know how many times I've seen titles/pictures on the wrong side of a book, or at least characters flipping the pages the wrong direction if they even manage to get the direction of the book right.

And I can't even blame foreign outsourced animation for it. Sure, some Eastern countries read the opposite direction Western countries read. Authentic style manga is printed in its original Japanese form (...well...since the early 00's anyway). I've seen this happen with Western made Western cartoons. And I can't even really get annoyed by cheated angles where the character is facing the direction that they'd have to put the front cover on the back (even though, that's easy to fix...don't frame it that way in the first place). But I've seen that even when the camera angle is framed so the book can open either way.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, why are more sites doing this? Google was the first to start, but others are starting to catch on: when you log into an account, you can't type in your handle/email/whatever and password at once, you have to type in your handle first, then type in your password separately. And I have to ask: why? What's the point? All it does is take a one-step process and turns it into a two step process, which is only an added annoyance and inconvenience.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've noticed this too and its annoying. I mean I enter my username and password for everything, but the people who use their browser to save their passwords and autofill the fields it doesn't work on, which I can see how that could be a problem.

my best guess is its to make signing up easier? Cause I've noticed if you enter a wrong email address/username, the next screen prompts you to create an account by entering a password.

on tumblr anyway...