Worst Muppet Show Episodes

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Bumping this thread to say that I actually really like the Gilda Radner episode now. Wouldn't put it anywhere near a "Worst" list, it is actually one of my favorites from season 3. My opinion on the George Burns episode remains the same though, very boring episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For those who would happily dump one episode for a different guest, would you replace the whole episode, or just the guest star parts?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
For those who would happily dump one episode for a different guest, would you replace the whole episode, or just the guest star parts?
It really depends. For instance, I recently watched the Liberace episode from season 3 and the first 12 minutes was top-tier Muppet Show content. And then the episode literally stopped in its tracks and became a Liberace concert for the next 13 minutes. I wouldn't necessary want to dump the guest star, I would just want his parts cut down and replaced with a few more muppet skits and backstage scenes.

LStein

Reaction score
Season 1-Florence Henderson
Season 2-Cleo Laine
Season 3-Leo Sayer
Season 4-Arlo Guthrie
Season 5-Melissa Manchester
I loved the Melissa Manchester episode! Muppet Show craziness at its’ best!
Kermit: What a show’s this been! Skiers on crutches and chickens on springs!
Gonzo: These are a few of my favorite things! Wait for me, girls!

Last edited:

LStein

Reaction score
For me, the worst episode of the series was Jim Nabors. I just liked the opening and the U.K. Spot, other than those, it was just boring!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
For me, the worst episode of the series was Jim Nabors. I just liked the opening and the U.K. Spot, other than those, it was just boring!
Interesting. I found that to be one of the better ones of Season 1.

I'd say the George Burns episode is very tedious but even that has a few good moments. Hard to classify the Liberace one since it starts out great and then becomes so tiring to watch. I'd put that in a "Worst" category solely because of the last-half.

LStein

Reaction score
I loved the Melissa Manchester episode! Muppet Show craziness at its’ best!
Kermit: What a show’s this been! Skiers on crutches and chickens on springs!
Gonzo: These are a few of my favorite things! Wait for me, girls!
Kermit: I feel over control of this show slipping! Skiers on crutches and chickens on springs!
Gonzo: These are a few of my favorite things! HaHaHa! Wait for me, girls! HaHaHa!

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
I haven't seen the first three seasons in a while, but all of the episodes, I'd say my least favorite is probably the Star Wars one. I absolutely love Star Wars, but I feel it really doesn't go well with the Muppets (even if some of the films had some very Muppet-like creatures - and of course Frank Oz - in them) and it just felt weird. The whole plot of Luke Skywalker landing in the Muppet theater was really strange to me :rolleyes:, and overall I think I would have preferred seeing Mark Hamill just playing himself like every other guest star. Also C-3PO's voice sounded strange to me, a bit too normal and not "robotic" enough. The Pigs in Space sketch with Miss Piggy as Princess Leia was fine though.

Biotron2000

Reaction score
Kermit: I feel over control of this show slipping! Skiers on crutches and chickens on springs!
Gonzo: These are a few of my favorite things! HaHaHa! Wait for me, girls! HaHaHa!
Best joke of the entire series! I laughed myself silly when I saw it (first-run--I'm old!).
(Sorry for dredging up an old thread. I couldn't remember the host of the episode and found it by Googling the joke)

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The Steve Martin one was incredibly weird. The lack of a "live audience" combined with the different format of characters auditioning just didn't work for me.

The part at the end where Steve with the jug band was really cool, though.