World Series 2005

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well the World Series starts tomorrow evening. The Houston Astros vs. The Chicago White Sox. Who do you think is going to win? Who do you want to win? I think this series could go either way. Both teams have very good pitching. I'll pick the White Sox to win it. And I'll be happy either way. It's nice to see two new teams (The Astors have never made a World Series before and the White Sox last time they were in one was way back in 1959. And the last time they won one was 1917!).

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Go Astro's!!!

As a long-time Brewer fan I have a difficult time rooting for the Chisox. It is a rivalry that goes way back to the days when Phil Garner was managing the Brew Crew and threatening to fight their announcers.

Besides, Houston has some long-time veterans that deserve a ring. They have put in their time and played the game the right way.

Either way, it should be a great series with some great pitching duels.

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Go Astros!!

Is it true that there's also a Black Sox team too? Red Sox, White Sox...What if there was a Blue Sox? Red, White, & Blue Sox???

Ziffel

Reaction score
There wasn't a Black Sox team. However, the Chicago White Sox team of 1919 was nicknamed the Black Sox because of the scandal where eight players on the team deliberately lost the World Series in exchange for money from betters who cashed in since the Sox were heavily favored. There was a movie in 1988 called "Eight Man Out" that was all about this scandal. It was very interesting, especially for baseball fans, of course.
Yeah a red white and blue Sox would be something! The next time a new franchise begins they oughta consider naming themselves the Blue Sox! In 1995 was neat we had indians playing indians (Cleveland Indians vs. Atlanta Braves) in the World Series.

MGov

Reaction score
I'm from Chicago, grew up on the North Side. Cubs games were on WGN channel 9. White Sox games were on UHF channel 44 then on Sportsvision, an early pay channel. So I've always been a Cubs fan.

But I'm not rooting against the Sox.

I AM rooting against White Sox fans. They can be real jerks.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah that brings up an interesting thing. I've heard that it's common in Chicago for fans to like either the Cubs OR the White Sox but not be fans of BOTH. Like it's quite the rivalry. So recently I heard a Cubs fan say they will not be cheering for the Sox because, "you just can't cross over, even in the World Series". But I imagine there's still got to be a lot of Cubbie fans who (at least secretly) want to see the Chisox win the Series, since they are still local and, thus, would be fun to see win. :smile: