Why isn't Disney acknowledging Bear?

MuppetsBear17

Reaction score
I really hate that Disney hasn't been acknowledging Bear's existence for a long time. As someone who has Autism, Bear in the Big Blue House really calms me down and it's such an important show to me.

I remember when I was very young (I was born in 2000), I would watch the show at around 6:30AM and I would watch it with my dad and brother before my dad went to work and I remember reading the books, I went to a Live Show (I don't remember going to a Live Show, but my mom told me I went to one), I think I had a PC game of it, I think I remember having VHS and DVDs of it, I had some of the songs on the Playhouse Disney CDs, and I think I even had some of the CDs. I remember loving this show and it would be my second favorite show on the Playhouse Disney block (My favorite was "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh", which came on at 6AM). My favorite character was Shadow and she inspired my love of shadows. I also watched "Breakfast with Bear" when it was on (Which were more of bumpers between shows than anything) and I also loved it. I even vaguely remember in Elementary School, a kid liked to read Bear books (This was years after reruns disappeared from the lineup).

I say all this because this show had an impact on me that few shows ever had. It was easily one of my top favorite shows back then. I remember when I found out the show had an impact on children with autism, it made a lot of sense to me.

I'm really worried that Disney+ won't put Bear on. I feel like it would make a great addition to the service. With Disney+ having old shows like "Goof Troop", "Gargoyles", "Darkwing Duck", "DuckTales (1987)", etc., I think Bear would fit right in. It would be a great show for parents to introduce to their little ones and since it's completely appropriate for pre-schoolers (After all, it's aimed at pre-schoolers), parents won't have to worry about anything.

I find it really sad that Bear was never on the Disney Junior channel, not even in it's very early years. They could have put it on at 3AM and I would have been fine with it. I'm glad the channel aired reruns of "Stanley", "PB&J Otter", and "Rolie Polie Olie" in it's very early years (Basically 2012 - 2013), but I wish they aired Bear. It surprises me how Disney has acknowledged lesser known shows like "Bonkers" (According to this https://animesuperhero.com/forums/t...surprise-on-disney-channel-on-demand.5516271/), "Jungle Cubs", and "101 Dalmatians" (The latter two are available to purchase on iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play), but not Bear.

Even though I was born in 2000, I could tell that this show was really popular when I was little as I remember seeing merchandise of this show back then. It was Playhouse Disney's flagship show for quite a while (I think Rolie Polie Olie was their second biggest). The show spawned CDs, Books, Toys and Plush, Games, Live Shows, VHS Tapes, and DVDs, a spin-off show, etc. During the late 90's and early 2000's, this show was everywhere and while it wasn't as popular as something like Barney or Blue's Clues, it was still really popular. The show ended not because of ratings, but because the show had more than enough episodes to be re-ran over and over. With 117 episodes, it was the Playhouse Disney show with the most episodes until "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" overtook it.

Sadly, on May 6, 2007 at 6AM, the show was aired for the final time. Honestly, i'm fine that it was on in the early mornings since I remember getting up early (Though in 2007, I wasn't watching pre-school shows as much anymore, especially by Late 2007) and i'm glad it was still on during that time (It was the last Playhouse Disney show that aired on the block in the 90's that was still on, as all the others like Rolie Polie Olie, Winnie the Pooh, Out of the Box, PB&J Otter, etc. were long gone by that point).

I know some people didn't like how Disney didn't air the last 8 episodes till 2006 in the US, but honestly, i'm glad they aired on TV and the good thing is is that Disney managed to announce the Week of New Bear episodes (I think Disney wanted to wait a while until they aired the last 8 episodes to make kids think that the show was still airing new episodes in 2006. I know Nickelodeon did that a lot in the early 2000's where they would release a "new" episode of a show in the US that has long since ended).

However, that was in the past and now Disney has been treating the show badly. There are still many episodes that have never been legally released and honestly, it makes me really sad. I know it's just a show, but this really is a big part of my early childhood. I have so many memories of this show and I hate how Disney bought Bear in 2004 only to do nothing with it after 2007. I have no idea why Disney is not acknowledging Bear, since they've acknowledged some of their old shows occasionally. With Disney+ on the way, i'm worried that Disney is going to ignore Bear and never put it on the service. This show is so happy and light-hearted and calming that I really want all the episodes legally released 😥.

Here's the thing. I don't want new episodes, i'm perfectly fine with the 117 episodes that were made. I just want Disney to do something with the legally released episodes. I feel like Disney should release some new DVDs of the show and put it on Disney+. I tried asking Disney to put it on Disney+, but they just responded with "Disney+ doesn't come out until November". If this show doesn't come onto Disney+, i'm probably going to cry😭

DMHFan

Reaction score
I really hate that Disney hasn't been acknowledging Bear's existence for a long time. As someone who has Autism, Bear in the Big Blue House really calms me down and it's such an important show to me.

I remember when I was very young (I was born in 2000), I would watch the show at around 6:30AM and I would watch it with my dad and brother before my dad went to work and I remember reading the books, I went to a Live Show (I don't remember going to a Live Show, but my mom told me I went to one), I think I had a PC game of it, I think I remember having VHS and DVDs of it, I had some of the songs on the Playhouse Disney CDs, and I think I even had some of the CDs. I remember loving this show and it would be my second favorite show on the Playhouse Disney block (My favorite was "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh", which came on at 6AM). My favorite character was Shadow and she inspired my love of shadows. I also watched "Breakfast with Bear" when it was on (Which were more of bumpers between shows than anything) and I also loved it. I even vaguely remember in Elementary School, a kid liked to read Bear books (This was years after reruns disappeared from the lineup).

I say all this because this show had an impact on me that few shows ever had. It was easily one of my top favorite shows back then. I remember when I found out the show had an impact on children with autism, it made a lot of sense to me.

I'm really worried that Disney+ won't put Bear on. I feel like it would make a great addition to the service. With Disney+ having old shows like "Goof Troop", "Gargoyles", "Darkwing Duck", "DuckTales (1987)", etc., I think Bear would fit right in. It would be a great show for parents to introduce to their little ones and since it's completely appropriate for pre-schoolers (After all, it's aimed at pre-schoolers), parents won't have to worry about anything.

I find it really sad that Bear was never on the Disney Junior channel, not even in it's very early years. They could have put it on at 3AM and I would have been fine with it. I'm glad the channel aired reruns of "Stanley", "PB&J Otter", and "Rolie Polie Olie" in it's very early years (Basically 2012 - 2013), but I wish they aired Bear. It surprises me how Disney has acknowledged lesser known shows like "Bonkers" (According to this https://animesuperhero.com/forums/t...surprise-on-disney-channel-on-demand.5516271/), "Jungle Cubs", and "101 Dalmatians" (The latter two are available to purchase on iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play), but not Bear.

Even though I was born in 2000, I could tell that this show was really popular when I was little as I remember seeing merchandise of this show back then. It was Playhouse Disney's flagship show for quite a while (I think Rolie Polie Olie was their second biggest). The show spawned CDs, Books, Toys and Plush, Games, Live Shows, VHS Tapes, and DVDs, a spin-off show, etc. During the late 90's and early 2000's, this show was everywhere and while it wasn't as popular as something like Barney or Blue's Clues, it was still really popular. The show ended not because of ratings, but because the show had more than enough episodes to be re-ran over and over. With 117 episodes, it was the Playhouse Disney show with the most episodes until "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" overtook it.

Sadly, on May 6, 2007 at 6AM, the show was aired for the final time. Honestly, i'm fine that it was on in the early mornings since I remember getting up early (Though in 2007, I wasn't watching pre-school shows as much anymore, especially by Late 2007) and i'm glad it was still on during that time (It was the last Playhouse Disney show that aired on the block in the 90's that was still on, as all the others like Rolie Polie Olie, Winnie the Pooh, Out of the Box, PB&J Otter, etc. were long gone by that point).

I know some people didn't like how Disney didn't air the last 8 episodes till 2006 in the US, but honestly, i'm glad they aired on TV and the good thing is is that Disney managed to announce the Week of New Bear episodes (I think Disney wanted to wait a while until they aired the last 8 episodes to make kids think that the show was still airing new episodes in 2006. I know Nickelodeon did that a lot in the early 2000's where they would release a "new" episode of a show in the US that has long since ended).

However, that was in the past and now Disney has been treating the show badly. There are still many episodes that have never been legally released and honestly, it makes me really sad. I know it's just a show, but this really is a big part of my early childhood. I have so many memories of this show and I hate how Disney bought Bear in 2004 only to do nothing with it after 2007. I have no idea why Disney is not acknowledging Bear, since they've acknowledged some of their old shows occasionally. With Disney+ on the way, i'm worried that Disney is going to ignore Bear and never put it on the service. This show is so happy and light-hearted and calming that I really want all the episodes legally released 😥.

Here's the thing. I don't want new episodes, i'm perfectly fine with the 117 episodes that were made. I just want Disney to do something with the legally released episodes. I feel like Disney should release some new DVDs of the show and put it on Disney+. I tried asking Disney to put it on Disney+, but they just responded with "Disney+ doesn't come out until November". If this show doesn't come onto Disney+, i'm probably going to cry😭
I know how you feel. I liked Bear in the Big Blue House as well when I was young.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score

I spoke with Noel MacNeal a while back and he seemed to hint there may be a future for bear on Disney+.

MuppetsBear17

Reaction score
I spoke with Noel MacNeal a while back and he seemed to hint there may be a future for bear on Disney+.
I hope so. I did see an unconfirmed list (That I think is most likely true, because a lot of the shows have already been 100% confirmed either through official articles or the Netherlands free trial and such, though Disney has yet to confirm it) of the shows that will be on Disney+ and I saw two Old School Playhouse Disney shows on there ("Out of the Box" and "The Book of Pooh"). Those shows haven't been acknowledged by Disney in years and if the list does confirm to be true, then they'll finally see the light of day again.

I do know that "Stanley", "Rolie Polie Olie (This one actually isn't a Disney show, but Disney still has the rights to it as far as I know, but only in the US I think)", and "PB&J Otter" are very likely to be on Disney+ since they still get acknowledged by Disney from time to time, so if those 5 shows get on Disney+ (Which seems very likely), then maybe Bear will. I do think Bear has a better chance of being on Disney+ than the educational kids shows that pre-date Playhouse Disney like "Welcome to Pooh Corner" and "Dumbo's Circus"

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
I hope so. I did see an unconfirmed list (That I think is most likely true, because a lot of the shows have already been 100% confirmed either through official articles or the Netherlands free trial and such, though Disney has yet to confirm it) of the shows that will be on Disney+ and I saw two Old School Playhouse Disney shows on there ("Out of the Box" and "The Book of Pooh"). Those shows haven't been acknowledged by Disney in years and if the list does confirm to be true, then they'll finally see the light of day again.

I do know that "Stanley", "Rolie Polie Olie (This one actually isn't a Disney show, but Disney still has the rights to it as far as I know, but only in the US I think)", and "PB&J Otter" are very likely to be on Disney+ since they still get acknowledged by Disney from time to time, so if those 5 shows get on Disney+ (Which seems very likely), then maybe Bear will. I do think Bear has a better chance of being on Disney+ than the educational kids shows that pre-date Playhouse Disney like "Welcome to Pooh Corner" and "Dumbo's Circus"
I can picture a Bear reboot on Disney plus if Noel is up to it( He seems like he would want to :smile:)

MuppetsBear17

Reaction score
Personally i'm not sure if I want new Bear episodes. Yes, there's been good reboots like DuckTales and Muppet Babies (Plus the Blue's Clues reboot looks really good), but then you have stuff like The Magic School Bus Rides Again (I never saw it, but i've heard really bad things about it) and The Powerpuff Girls Reboot (Which was full of cliches and from what I saw, it was even worse than the lackluster last 2 seasons of the original show and this is coming from someone who loved the first 4 seasons of the PPG and the movie). I think it would be best to leave Bear as it is, unless they have some really good ideas for a reboot. That being said, I do think Disney should re-release DVDs of the show and make a Complete Series set for the show and they should definitely and I mean definitely put it on Disney+. I honestly don't know why Disney pretends like Bear never existed, especially when it used to be their most popular show on Playhouse Disney.

Thankfully, it seems like Disney is bringing some shows to Disney+ that they haven't acknowledged in years like Quack Pack, The Mighty Ducks, Out of the Box, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and The Book of Pooh, just to name a few. Atleast with Muppet Babies (1984) and The Muppet Show, there's rights issues that make it difficult for them to be legally available. Bear doesn't have that, so I think it has every right to be on there

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Personally i'm not sure if I want new Bear episodes. Yes, there's been good reboots like DuckTales and Muppet Babies (Plus the Blue's Clues reboot looks really good), but then you have stuff like The Magic School Bus Rides Again (I never saw it, but i've heard really bad things about it) and The Powerpuff Girls Reboot (Which was full of cliches and from what I saw, it was even worse than the lackluster last 2 seasons of the original show and this is coming from someone who loved the first 4 seasons of the PPG and the movie). I think it would be best to leave Bear as it is, unless they have some really good ideas for a reboot. That being said, I do think Disney should re-release DVDs of the show and make a Complete Series set for the show and they should definitely and I mean definitely put it on Disney+. I honestly don't know why Disney pretends like Bear never existed, especially when it used to be their most popular show on Playhouse Disney.

Thankfully, it seems like Disney is bringing some shows to Disney+ that they haven't acknowledged in years like Quack Pack, The Mighty Ducks, Out of the Box, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and The Book of Pooh, just to name a few. Atleast with Muppet Babies (1984) and The Muppet Show, there's rights issues that make it difficult for them to be legally available. Bear doesn't have that, so I think it has every right to be on there
How do you know about those shows that are coming to Disney+?

MuppetsBear17

Reaction score
How do you know about those shows that are coming to Disney+?
Okay, i'll admit that some of those shows haven't been confirmed by Disney themselves, but shows like Out of the Box, The Book of Pooh, Bonkers, and Quack Pack were on the unconfirmed list that someone compiled by doing some data mining (Most likely on the Netherlands Disney+ since they have the free trial). Mighty Ducks and New Adventures of Pooh are definitely 100% confirmed as they're on the Netherlands Free Trial, though we're getting a tad bit off topic there