Why did Jim continue with puppetry?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Not to nitpick - or take anything away from Jim who truly was a visionary - but how was he at the forefront of web content/internet publishing?

Although Jim had some very smart computer science people working with him in the `80s, Tim Berners-Lee didn't even publish his work developing the World Wide Web until the summer of 1991. CD-ROMs were barely a thing. Web content and internet publishing didn't exist in Jim's lifetime.

You know what else he was at the forefront of though? Reality television.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Not to nitpick - or take anything away from Jim who truly was a visionary - but how was he at the forefront of web content/internet publishing?

Although Jim had some very smart computer science people working with him in the `80s, Tim Berners-Lee didn't even publish his work developing the World Wide Web until the summer of 1991. CD-ROMs were barely a thing. Web content and internet publishing didn't exist in Jim's lifetime.

You know what else he was at the forefront of though? Reality television.
It's no secret that Jim Henson was interested in computers.

In one of his many interviews (it's similar to the one you posted), Jim predicted that people would more easily be able to create and distribute videos and that technology would cut through much of the bureaucracy between creator and audience. Basically, he was among the people who predicted YouTube before YouTube existed. That's what I meant. If he had been around, he definitely would have been one of the first creative people to experiment with such innovations. In fact, he was one of the few people talking about such things at a time when it was unfathomable to most. I think he knew where things were headed and he would have been one of the creative voices leading us there as referenced in your article too.

There was also a video interview from the 80's where he predicted HDTV sets. Again, you'd have to search for it yourself. I'm interested to see how much of it will be included in his biography.