Why did Jim continue with puppetry?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just got to thinking, I'm about as familiar with Jim's history as anybody here, but I have been wondering, has there ever been any explanation or theory as to why Jim decided to continue to make his career in puppetry? We all know he never even considered working with puppets, let alone really knowing a whole lot about them, and we also know that what he really wanted to do was work in television, in a nutshell, he became a puppeteer as a means to get on television. Of course, we know, this led to Sam and Friends, and the rest is history... but again, really, Jim's original motive in becoming a puppeteer was simply to get into television, yet it became his career, so I'm just wondering, has there ever been any kind of explanation as to why he decided to continue working in puppetry?

Hubert

Reaction score
Jim got his main start on television via Sam and Friends, which garnered some fandom within Washington, D.C. With this and commercials, I would imagine that his popularity just began to catch on, and he probably figured that there was no point in going back and starting over when he had an obvious talent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Makes me wonder though, because I know Jim held a really strong interest in animation, and I also know as a little side job during high school, he drew/designed posters for clients and such, if he had gotten into animation (aside from just Muppet Babies), and what we would have gotten from that. Also knowing how technologically savvy he was, and always trying new techniques, do you think he could have given the likes of Pixar and DreamWorks a run for their money if he did CGI movies?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When you've found a niche on Television that is praised by audiences and making you money, you'd be wise to at least give it a chance. :wink:

Hubert

Reaction score
Makes me wonder though, because I know Jim held a really strong interest in animation, and I also know as a little side job during high school, he drew/designed posters for clients and such, if he had gotten into animation (aside from just Muppet Babies), and what we would have gotten from that. Also knowing how technologically savvy he was, and always trying new techniques, do you think he could have given the likes of Pixar and DreamWorks a run for their money if he did CGI movies?
I do believe that I remember Jim saying, though, that he would never want to go full force into animation like that because that was already done by Walt Disney. He wanted to try to focus on an art form that hadn't been explored quite as much.