Why aren't Oscar and Telly ever on anymore?

ssetta

Reaction score
I've noticed we're in the middle of season 51 and Telly has not been on at all. It almost seems as if they've done away with him. I've noticed that Oscar isn't really on anymore either. He's been in 2 cold openings, but that's it. Why do you think this is?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
From what I heard they aren’t using Telly as much due to him not being as cuddly and such to other characters like Grover and Elmo.

Also, Oscar was in the Christmas episode this year.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, Telly was honestly most of a side character. I don’t know how many episodes he’s had on his own and how many individual segments he gets.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Was he? Telly was in virtually every episode from when Brian handled him until the half hour change. Even then, Telly was around with some frequency because I think Joey was championing for him. I don't expect him to get like his own storyline this season, and apparently he'll barely be around in season 52 as well. It's a shame; he was a great, fun character. I guess his little scene in the 50th Anniversary Special was his last hurrah.

It feels like they're doubling down on Elmo/Abby/Cookie being the stars even more (with Rosita and Grover as honorary stars).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Right. Joey saw so much potential in Telly as a character, but research was showing that kids didn't really relate to or connect with him like that do more childlike characters such as Elmo or Abby; Telly was modeled after people and characters that kids aren't really familiar with and can't really appreciate the connections, such as Woody Allen, Jon Lovitz, or George Costanza.

Although, Alan Muraoka has said that Telly was one of his favorite Muppets to interact with because of how neurotic he was.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Although, Alan Muraoka has said that Telly was one of his favorite Muppets to interact with because of how neurotic he was.
Same deal with Allison Bartlett (O'Reilly), who also shared the same neurotic personality, which I guess led to a lot of scenes with Gina and Telly.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I said cuddly because of what Marty said about Telly not being as a comfort character like Elmo is.

ssetta

Reaction score
Sometimes I felt like Telly is the opposite of a comfort character. He’s always such a “worry wart.” In fact, I kind of wish he was in more of the pandemic specials, because I’m sure he would have a negative outlook on it, like I have.

Part of the reason I’ve always liked Telly is because he’s actually a lot like me. I worry about a lot of things, too. I always assume the worst of a situation.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That isn’t healthy. While I can relate to Telly in ways myself, you’re only putting more stress on yourself if you do that.