Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

caper

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if the muppet fans wants their Muppets to be CGI like the teddy bear on the new Seth McFarlane's movie TED???

For me, I think that should be the future of the Muppets. It still looks like a stuffed animal and it doesn't look like CGI at all.

Muppets to me are like Living Stuffed Animals!! And that movie Ted made that stuffed animal come to life!!!

I take nothing away from the Muppet Performers. They are all great artists.

But with that CGI, all we need is a great voice to make those "Living Stuffed Animals" known as The Muppets come to life even more.

I feel if Jim Henson was still alive, he will appreciate the CGI of Ted and probably would turn his Muppets into this kind of media.

Anyone agrees?

MWoO

Reaction score
I just.....I can't.....NO!

The muppets are puppets. They interact in the real world. They are extensions of their performers. Kermit's actions and mannerisms are all from Steve's performance. That would all be replaced by an animators interpretation of Kermit. Plus you totally loose the ability for the muppets to interact with talk show hosts, do interviews, or make public appearances. The muppets are more than just characters on a screen.

Now what I would like to see us muppet babies get the cgi treatment on tv. They were primarily animated characters and I'd like to see them transformed into puppet looking cgi characters. For muppet babies it would work because we are use to seeing those characters from head to toe and using Puppets would be difficult. But the regular muppets are and always should be puppets.

Lola p

Reaction score
No... Just.... no.

No offense, but that would NOT be the Muppets.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
No, I just couldn't see the Muppets in CGI. It's just... wrong. Maybe if it were something entirely new, then yes. But with the Muppets... it's simply not right.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Not to be mean, but no. I have to agree with MWoO that the traditional puppetry is part of what makes the Muppets... well, "the Muppets". It just wouldn't work, and honestly, other than as a one-time experiment, I really doubt that Jim would have wanted the Muppets to be CGI characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could go with a big long thing about it, but I don't think I should even dignify it with that.

Simply put, a classic bunch of PUPPETS being forever replaced by CGI makes no sense no matter what. Sure, you can have the one off animated series, but that doesn't really count as anything BUT an animated series.

Though I'll wager more people have heard of Beany and Cecil as a cartoon series than as the Time for Beany Puppet series.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It would get rid of the ability for the Muppets to improvise/do live appearances, which is arguably the biggest part of their charm. Ted can't do a talk show but Kermit can.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm not sure I want to even answer this with a response, but I will say...

No matter how "good" cgi is, it still looks jarring juxtaposed to stuff thats tangible. Also, Ted looks horrible.

Do we really want our muppets looking this?

(Actually, Buzz is a decent quiz game, but the host up there needs to be killed with fire. He's even more disturbing moving)

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
While I have to admit that teddy bear on Ted looks really, really good for CGI, however I am with the consenus on this one - Muppets are not CGI.

Obviously CGI is a great tool and one that those in the "puppet" business have embraced. Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train are excellent examples of the right way to use CGI and to use it effectively. Taking an old medium such as puppetry and transforming it into something new would be like freeze drying a Thanksgiving dinner. All the parts are there but it just doesn't have the same effect.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm gonna say a BIG FAT NO!!! The realism would totally be gone!!! That's what makes them so special and great is they aren't CGI!! I ain't totally knocking CGI however with The Muppets DON'T TOUCH THEM! That's what makes them different is you can meet Kermit, you can shake his hand, give him a hug, you can't do that with CGI characters!!! As the saying goes "If it's not broke don't fix it!!!"

I could say so many more things on this but being this is a family thread and I don't wanna get banned I'll keep my mouth shut. :X