which performer should write an autobiography?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Which Muppet performer would you most like to have write an autobiography? Caroll Spinney has already written one, although there were too many ommissions (no talk about the making of either Sesame Street movie, no mention of Christmas Eve On Sesame Street, not even anything about Matt Vogel).

I think that Jerry Nelson would be the best choice, since he has performed so many characters and performed in so many productions. Also, he has limited his performing to just Sesame Street, so he would probably have plenty of time to write an autobiography.

I would also be interested in an autobiography by Steve Whitmire.

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I would also be interested in an autobiography by Steve Whitmire.
Ditto. I'd buy an autobiography by Steve, without question. Him, or Dave Goelz.

BEAR

Reaction score
A biography by Steve Whitmire would be interesting, especially since he took over Jim Henson's two major characters (Kermit and Ernie), but he can wait. He is still so young and he has a lot more ahead of him to write about.

I would say Jerry Nelson for the same reasons you said, Minor Muppetz. He would also tell us a lot more about Richard Hunt since they were supposedly very good friends.

Frank Oz would also be a good choice since he was especially close to Henson and has been with the Muppets the longest.

Believe it or not, I think I would be extremely interested in reading something from Martin Robinson, as he is pretty overlooked a lot of the time by us fans and I think he would have some good things to say. Same with Fran Brill. She would be able to tell us a lot of facts about the making of Sesame Street.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Believe it or not, I think I would be extremely interested in reading something from Martin Robinson, as he is pretty overlooked a lot of the time by us fans and I think he would have some good things to say. Same with Fran Brill. She would be able to tell us a lot of facts about the making of Sesame Street.
If we are going to wish for autobiographies by performers who often get overlooked, then how about some by Karen Prell, Louise Gold, and John Lovelady? I have always wanted to know why he stopped working with the muppets. Some people on these boards have mentioned that he wasn't a very good puppeteer. Did he get fired because of this?

I think it would be too soon for Eric Jacopson do write an autobiography.

I am sure that if more performers wrote autobiographies, the ones that would sell the best would be ones by Frank Oz, Kevin Clash, and maybe Jerry Nelson.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
If we are going to wish for autobiographies by performers who often get overlooked, then how about some by Karen Prell, Louise Gold, and John Lovelady? I have always wanted to know why he stopped working with the muppets. Some people on these boards have mentioned that he wasn't a very good puppeteer. Did he get fired because of this?

Yeah, but a lot of people don't really think about them or know them much because they had such forgettable characters (possible exception of Prell).

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I think an autobiography from Brian Henson would be cool. What's it like to grow up with Jim as your father and taking over the family-business type of thing would be interesting.

Whatever

Reaction score
All of them! I read anything and everything Muppet related!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If any more performers get an opportunity to write an autobiography, I hope that they get more controll over their books than Caroll Spinney did. I have read that the company that published it didn't think that an autobiography about a puppeteer would sell very well, so they had him write it as an inspirational book. It has biographical information, but not in the way I would expect an autobiography to be done. It is weird that he wrote an entire chapter about getting used to sharing the spotlight with Elmo, yet there were no chapters on Follow That Bird or Christmas Eve On Sesame Street, or even on Wow! You're a Cartoonist!

If Frank Oz wrote an autobiography, I think that half of it would be about his performing career and the other half would be about his directing career. It would be interesting to know how he got to make cameos in John Landis movies, or how he got the job of being the voice of Fungus in Monsters Inc. I wonder how ahrd it would be for him to get permission to have Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover, and Yoda on the cover? Wuldn't it also be cool if he could get The Mighty Fuvog on the cover (heck, it would be cool if Proffessor Hastings was on the cover)?

I think it would be cool if a Steve Whitmire autobiography had an illustration of Kermits feet, and possibly be titled "Flippers To Fill: The Story of Steve Whitmire."

I would hope that a Jerry Nelson autobiography would mention as many characters as possible. Not just his most popular characters, not just his second most popular characters, but also Sam The Robot, Fleet Scribbler, and Beard.

A Dave Goelz autobiography would also be good.

After people have responded to this thread, I started thinking that it would also be cool to have an autobiography by Jerry Juhl.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
  • Jerry Nelson
  • Steve Whitmire
  • Dave Goelz
  • Frank Oz
  • Kevin Clash
  • Fran Brill
  • Martin P. Robinson
  • David Rudman
  • Joey Mazzarino
  • and others too numerous to mention.