Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I just got the first season at the flea market, and noticed how much Boris's designs changed over years. He used to have...............RED EYES! The show really seems to have gotten better towards the 4th season (I only have 1+4, but I haven't watched all of 1 yet)

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I used to watch Rocky And Bullwinkle all the time! My dad grew up watching the show and had several VHS with episodes on them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I used to watch Rocky And Bullwinkle all the time! My dad grew up watching the show and had several VHS with episodes on them.
That's how it was with me, heh.
I just got the first season at the flea market, and noticed how much Boris's designs changed over years. He used to have...............RED EYES! The show really seems to have gotten better towards the 4th season (I only have 1+4, but I haven't watched all of 1 yet)
What was interesting is when the movie came out in 2000, and there was that set of beanie babies released as merchandise, the Boris beanie had red eyes as well, and then in The Rocky and Bullwinkle Book, there's some illustrations throughout the book where Boris has pink eyes (and Rocky wears a cape for some reason).

Season One was good, I thought, the animation and the designs were iffy, but then again, it took those animators down in Mexico a while to get everything right, Bill Scott once said they could never rely on the Mexican animators to produce anything of "quality", and cites the many different errors like Bullwinkle's color changing from cel to cel and such. Actually, I think just about all the seasons were good in their own way, mainly because when you think about it, there never was any actual character development on the show: no matter what happened, the story always started with things hunky-dory in Frostbite Falls, some unsual predicament happens that Rocky and Bullwinkle investigate because of their obligatory heroic nature, it turns out Boris and Natasha are behind the plot and once they realize Rocky and Bllwinkle try to save the day, they try to destroy them, then Rocky and Bullwinkle save the day while Boris and Natasha get their just deserts. In fact, I guess that's why the "Mucho Loma" and "Ruby Yacht" story arcs are among my favorites, mainly because those are really the only ones that mixed things up a bit by NOT having Boris and Natasha as the main antagonists of the plot, and we find Rocky and Bullwinkle actually end up being victims of circumstance rather than becoming victims of throwing themselves into the fire to put it out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... he had red eyes for a couple episodes at the beginning... and strangely enough on production drawings. I guess it was an issue of saving red paint or that it didn't entirely look right. Still, I don't get why all the time out of the show Bullwinkle had different colored antlers and in the cartoon they were the same brown his body was.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
That's how it was with me, heh.

What was interesting is when the movie came out in 2000, and there was that set of beanie babies released as merchandise, the Boris beanie had red eyes as well, and then in The Rocky and Bullwinkle Book, there's some illustrations throughout the book where Boris has pink eyes (and Rocky wears a cape for some reason).

Season One was good, I thought, the animation and the designs were iffy, but then again, it took those animators down in Mexico a while to get everything right, Bill Scott once said they could never rely on the Mexican animators to produce anything of "quality", and cites the many different errors like Bullwinkle's color changing from cel to cel and such. Actually, I think just about all the seasons were good in their own way, mainly because when you think about it, there never was any actual character development on the show: no matter what happened, the story always started with things hunky-dory in Frostbite Falls, some unsual predicament happens that Rocky and Bullwinkle investigate because of their obligatory heroic nature, it turns out Boris and Natasha are behind the plot and once they realize Rocky and Bllwinkle try to save the day, they try to destroy them, then Rocky and Bullwinkle save the day while Boris and Natasha get their just deserts. In fact, I guess that's why the "Mucho Loma" and "Ruby Yacht" story arcs are among my favorites, mainly because those are really the only ones that mixed things up a bit by NOT having Boris and Natasha as the main antagonists of the plot, and we find Rocky and Bullwinkle actually end up being victims of circumstance rather than becoming victims of throwing themselves into the fire to put it out.
Thanks for that information, but I really like those aliens in the first few episodes. I hope they're in all of the Jet Pack Feul episodes!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thanks for that information, but I really like those aliens in the first few episodes. I hope they're in all of the Jet Pack Feul episodes!
Gidney and Cloyd? Yeah, thy're not in all of those Jet Fuel episodes, but they are a big part of the plot... and you mention difference in designs, they had some major changes as well, they were originally brown instead of green, and they didn't look quite as cute as they ended up looking.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Good, I think the two of them are fun characters. "Can I Scrooch him now?"Ha ha ha!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like the Jet Fuel episodes... but it suffers first batch syndrome. It's 40 segments, and it really feels like the first half of them spend half the episodes recapping the half of the previous episodes that had new footage. Hardly the breakneck pace the show would later have. But then again, first episodes and all that... stuff to work out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, it did become a drag in some spots of the story, especially during the ship trip, like when they stopped the story to give us the backstory of Captain Peachfuzz and such.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I like the Jet Fuel episodes... but it suffers first batch syndrome. It's 40 segments, and it really feels like the first half of them spend half the episodes recapping the half of the previous episodes that had new footage. Hardly the breakneck pace the show would later have. But then again, first episodes and all that... stuff to work out.
But, don't all episodes have reviews of what prievously happened?