Where is this fountain?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
BTW It's not exactly easy to paint words on one's own back. Don't ask me how I know this.
Maybe the owner is bald and can write it on his forehead? That's what I do.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Science And Music

Boober_Gorg said:
I'm curious: what is the educational value of that segment?
The fountain is musical so that fits into the arts part of your curriculum and the mixture of kinetics and water is science in action, plus it's a lot of fun. It would have even more educational value if real people not just actors could actually play in it.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
The fountain is musical so that fits into the arts part of your curriculum and the mixture of kinetics and water is science in action, plus it's a lot of fun. It would have even more educational value if real people not just actors could actually play in it.
Well put.

FozzyBarely

Reaction score
Some info on the fountain

Hello interested parties! This thread came to the attention of the creator of the fountain and the writer of the segment, but neither of them has yet been able to log on and add to the discussion. I will leave truly authoritative answers to them, but I can tell you the following:

There were at least two scenes shot for Sesame Street, both in Seattle, where the fountain was built, one at Gas Works Park and the other in a private back yard. The fountain was not built for the scenes; it's a real fountain, not a prop. Alas, the fountain was not publicly accessible and has since been retired. A successor is under construction.

In terms of educational content, I'd say that for the 2-5 set, the value was mostly music appreciation and gross motor skills. For your own edification, however, the fountain was entirely MIDI-controlled and driven from a (now ancient) PC using Cakewalk sequencing software, which also drove a synthesizer. This enabled the fountain to be programmed to synchronize the sprays and lights with the music. (This doesn’t come through completely in the scenes.) The fountain also appeared at the Seattle Science Center as an interactive exhibit with various types of MIDI input devices that passers by could use to control it.

This fountain is a computer-age incarnation of a wasserspiele, such as the one at Hellbrunn near Salzburg, built around 1615.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
FozzyBarely said:
Hello interested parties! This thread came to the attention of the creator of the fountain and the writer of the segment, but neither of them has yet been able to log on and add to the discussion. I will leave truly authoritative answers to them, but I can tell you the following:

There were at least two scenes shot for Sesame Street, both in Seattle, where the fountain was built, one at Gas Works Park and the other in a private back yard. The fountain was not built for the scenes; it's a real fountain, not a prop. Alas, the fountain was not publicly accessible and has since been retired. A successor is under construction.

In terms of educational content, I'd say that for the 2-5 set, the value was mostly music appreciation and gross motor skills. For your own edification, however, the fountain was entirely MIDI-controlled and driven from a (now ancient) PC using Cakewalk sequencing software, which also drove a synthesizer. This enabled the fountain to be programmed to synchronize the sprays and lights with the music. (This doesn’t come through completely in the scenes.) The fountain also appeared at the Seattle Science Center as an interactive exhibit with various types of MIDI input devices that passers by could use to control it.

This fountain is a computer-age incarnation of a wasserspiele, such as the one at Hellbrunn near Salzburg, built around 1615.
Wow, well that solves that problem, even if the fountain was still in action and accessible to the public it won't be accessible to me and Megan for quite some time, I don't foresee myself going cross country for quite a while. I still say that it is a very interesting, and most likely fairly safe thing for children to play in (with adult supervision of course), and, as both myself (remember I am a recently certified teacher) and the fountain's creator have testified, it is educational.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
Wow, well that solves that problem, even if the fountain was still in action and accessible to the public it won't be accessible to me and Megan for quite some time, I don't foresee myself going cross country for quite a while. I still say that it is a very interesting, and most likely fairly safe thing for children to play in (with adult supervision of course), and, as both myself (remember I am a recently certified teacher) and the fountain's creator have testified, it is educational.
I contacted the Pacific Science Center of Seattle and they knew the history of the fountain saying,
"Dear Edward,

Thank you for reaching out. While we are able to confirm that we had a Muppets exhibit in the 1990’s, unfortunately we do not have any record of where the fountain you mention currently is located as it is no longer at our facilities. Best of luck with your investigation!"

Kind regards,
PacSci Guest Services
Sadly it isn't at this location anymore. Does anybody know where it currently is located now?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I contacted the Pacific Science Center of Seattle and they knew the history of the fountain saying,
"Dear Edward,

Thank you for reaching out. While we are able to confirm that we had a Muppets exhibit in the 1990’s, unfortunately we do not have any record of where the fountain you mention currently is located as it is no longer at our facilities. Best of luck with your investigation!"

Kind regards,
PacSci Guest Services
Sadly it isn't at this location anymore. Does anybody know where it currently is located now?
That's sad to read about.