Where in the world is Caroll Spinney?

Eloise Ockert

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just call The Astoria-Kaufman tudios in Astoria, Queens. The schedule for Autumn 2011 has not yet been determined, but when I wanted to meet Bob (many years ago when the show was videotaping on West 81st Street), I just went there and waited until the days work was finished for the performers to come out.
If you go to Astoria, there is a diner right across the street and you can sit there, order coffee and wait. I understand at times the cast eats lunch there. Good Luck!

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I'll have to tell Caroll how well you guys think of him! I'm sure he will greatly appreciate it. I don't know his personal schedule for shooting the show or public appearances yet (I don't even think HE knows it yet), so I can't help you guys there. But, if you go to my Caroll fansite (www.carollspinney.webs.com) there is an email address in the FAQ section where I forward all messages to him, if that helps. (By the way, if you wanna make sure I'm legit [Don't worry I would be skeptical too] check out the 'About Me' section. Proof is there:wisdom:)

The Mush

Reaction score
I met him at the 2010 NY Comic-Con so try to check out maybe fan conventions and stuff around NY (where Sesame is shot)

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I met him at the 2010 NY Comic-Con so try to check out maybe fan conventions and stuff around NY (where Sesame is shot)
I did too! I had met Caroll a few times previously but very brief and never got a chance to get a photo and properly talk with him until the convention last year. I was so thrilled to finally get my photo with him.

zns

Reaction score
Good for him. My question though right now is about season 42. Can we expect some episodes with Big Bird in them? I noticed Oscar has quite a few thank goodness, but hopefully our fine-feathered friend has some equal billing as well. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:

Convincing John

Reaction score
My question though right now is about season 42. Can we expect some episodes with Big Bird in them? I noticed Oscar has quite a few thank goodness, but hopefully our fine-feathered friend has some equal billing as well. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:
I can say for 100% certain that there will be at least ONE Sesame Street episode with Big Bird in it. I...well, I can't say much at this point because I don't know what's public knowledge and what isn't and I promised Sesame Workshop that I wouldn't talk about really specific things I saw or give away any plots or things. (I know Tough Pigs gave an in depth article on an episode they saw being filmed...but they must have gotten permission or something).

Yeah, uh, well, see my fiancee and I went to visit the set. They um, filmed some things for a street story and we saw Big Bird! How do I prove I'm not lying without giving anything away about the episode and keeping my promise to Sesame Workshop? I guess I could say these things:

The episode I saw takes place exclusively in the arbor and has Big Bird in it. The subject of the episode has to do with a letter of the alphabet. I won't say what letter it is, but I guess it won't hurt to tell you the color of the letter. It was a bold red, but not like Elmo. Think like a couple shades darker than a Coca Cola can. It's big, too! Like, oh, three feet tall, maybe.

There was a song, too. It's a brand new song, so um, I can't say anything about it. It's catchy and bouncy, though and it's still in my head! I'll tell you for sure though, that I saw it being filmed from Hooper's Store! My fiancee and I were sitting there at the counter, looking through the window to the arbor.

You will see some new (minor) characters in this show and even though I can't say anything about them, here's a clue: think outside the box.

Did I meet Caroll Spinney? Yep! I've met him before so he knew who I was. At one point between takes, Caroll clomped back to Hooper's wearing Big Bird's legs, sat on the stool next to me and we reminisced about how Hooper's Store used to be and he told me a short story about when he worked on Bozo.

It was a golden moment...and it was one of the best days of my life. I wish I could say more...but until that episode's on the air, I can't. I just can't. I did see other characters and one of the human cast, and it was...how do I describe the feeling?

On the outside, I was calm, polite to stay out of the way while they were working and when I met a new face, (be it flesh or fabric) it was just like meeting anyone else new. I was also smiling a lot (who wouldn't feel like smiling on that street unless you're a grouch?)

On the inside, however, my brain was repeatedly going like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTLIi3erIg

For anyone who is preparing to meet Caroll anytime, get ready for a story. Caroll loves to tell stories and it's just...magical to sit and listen to all these wonderful tales. As I've said before on the Muppet Mindset (in an article about a Sesame Street exhibit I did a while ago) you really pick up a Jim Henson vibe from him. He's just really "Jim-like".

If you got the time, please check out his interview on Youtube. It's 3 hours, but you really get sucked into it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsfnno9NRs

Caroll Spinney is awesome...but we all know that. :smile:

Eloise Ockert

Reaction score
I'll have to tell Caroll how well you guys think of him! I'm sure he will greatly appreciate it. I don't know his personal schedule for shooting the show or public appearances yet (I don't even think HE knows it yet), so I can't help you guys there. But, if you go to my Caroll fansite (www.carollspinney.webs.com) there is an email address in the FAQ section where I forward all messages to him, if that helps. (By the way, if you wanna make sure I'm legit [Don't worry I would be skeptical too] check out the 'About Me' section. Proof is there:wisdom:)
Hey There Weston:
When you talk with Caroll please let him know about The Birds Nest plans. I am not sure if he knows. I sent him a packet with information, pictures and a potential Tee Shirt design for the potential future residents and staff. 3x the packet was returned refused. I am not sure what happened here, but I finally "Fed Exed," the packet to The Kaufman Astorian studio. I have no idea if he received it, opened it and read it.
I want to open this center: duration isn't for about 4 years a minimum projection but I don't want a lawsuit after all the hard work with research on foundation grants, state and city funding etc. I need Caroll's input to avoid a lawsuit etc. I am desperate and don't know what else to do or why the packet was refused.
It would be great if you could intervene with what I am trying to do. I am sure I can still open the center without Caroll's input etc, but feel it would happen faster and safer with his input. And would prefer his participation. I think this would be a great finale to him other than Sesame Street - a real positive legacy for him and the future for these troubled teens1 I feel puppetry can be utilized for those who are really in pain to express their feelings that are bottled up and can cause emotional harm in their future, aka like some therapists use dolls, but I feel puppets would be more of a positive motivation for healing. I think you and others would agree.
I really feel so intense about this, and want this to manifest into a reality.

Thank-you,

Thank-you so much.
Ellie/1970/Eloise2012!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Well it is going on 3 years now...Does anyone know if Mr. Spinney will be in the Toronto area? Even Buffalo would be great!!! Most of the places listed are over a 10 hour drive away- he is definitely worth the drive but I can't afford (with a child on the way) to be away for long periods of time. I know a new documentary is soon to be released and I'm hoping he does a news junket here. I've searched all the known spots but most conventions he attended are now defunct or he isn't attending. My fear is I'll never meet the man I admire sooo much.