When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Were these changes not present, or at least less dramatic, it would easier to get used to new Muppet performers taking over the characters, or the cast members getting older. But whenever I catch the show now, it really feel doesn't familiar at all. It leaves me feeling rather hollow inside, like a good friend has moved away.
That's how I feel too. It's not about being against changes. I have nothing against changes. But it's not something I recognize now or enjoy. It's not for me anymore. And not just because I'm an adult. I honestly don't think I would have watched it when I was a kid the way it is now.

But as far as the show the way it was, I never really outgrew it and never will. And thank goodness it's still somewhat available on DVD. :smile:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Although my interest in the show was in decline early in Season 16, my mother banned me from watching the show early in 1985 and threatened to severely punish me if she caught me watching the show after that. She even threw away every piece of Sesame Street media immediately afterwards. If I were to guess, my punishment probably would have been no TV or no allowance for a month. I handled the ban in a professional manner.

Of course, I am no longer with my parents, and you know the rest of the story.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I guess for kindergartners and first graders
When I was in elementary school, I don't recall seeing any Sesame Street magazines, but I do recall seeing issues of The Electric Company magazine.

ssetta

Reaction score
Although my interest in the show was in decline early in Season 16, my mother banned me from watching the show early in 1985 and threatened to severely punish me if she caught me watching the show after that. She even threw away every piece of Sesame Street media immediately afterwards. If I were to guess, my punishment probably would have been no TV or no allowance for a month. I handled the ban in a professional manner.

Of course, I am no longer with my parents, and you know the rest of the story.
Your mother sounds like she was really mean. You never tried to fight with her? What did your dad think?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Your mother sounds like she was really mean. You never tried to fight with her? What did your dad think?
I never even bothered fighting with her except for argue - but it got me nowhere fast, so I eventually gave up fighting and went along with the rest of the class. And as much as my father is gentler and would never approve of her being mean and threaten "draconian" punishments on me, he did side with my mother on the ban.

ssetta

Reaction score
I never even bothered fighting with her except for argue - but it got me nowhere fast, so I eventually gave up fighting and went along with the rest of the class. And as much as my father is gentler and would never approve of her being mean and threaten "draconian" punishments on me, he did side with my mother on the ban.
Hi, I'm sorry to bump this up but I'm just really curious. Exactly how old were you when this all happened? And what do you mean by "the rest of the class?"

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I was months away from becoming a teenager when that happened, and when I said "the rest of the class" I meant all of the students in my grade (and above) who watched more mature shows (such as The Cosby Show and The A-Team) - none of which I had an interest in then.

datman24

Reaction score
Probably when my family gaslighted me for still watching Sesame Street at a certain age.

ssetta

Reaction score
I was months away from becoming a teenager when that happened, and when I said "the rest of the class" I meant all of the students in my grade (and above) who watched more mature shows (such as The Cosby Show and The A-Team) - none of which I had an interest in then.
Wow, that's interesting. For some reason I figured you would have been younger. But like did something happen that led your mother into making the decision?