When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair, no company or studio accepts unsolicited material for a reason, and like Jerry just said, that's show biz. Years ago when I wrote a spec script for ARTHUR, I had to sign a release form to attach with the script I was submitting just to signify that it wasn't unsolicited material . . . it never got used, but at least I was able to submit it . . . I wasn't able to even get that far last year when I wrote a spec for TLH.

And also, let's be honest: horror-comedy isn't exactly a genre Disney Channel tends to go for, so I'm not entirely surprised they didn't buy Dilworth's pitch (even though they forced him to change the title character's design from being a short, chubby girl with glasses to a taller and skinnier girl with no glasses).

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Years ago when I wrote a spec script for ARTHUR, I had to sign a release form to attach with the script I was submitting just to signify that it wasn't unsolicited material . . . it never got used, but at least I was able to submit it . . . I wasn't able to even get that far last year when I wrote a spec for TLH.
I did the same thing a few years ago: When The Powerpuff Girls rebooted in 2016, I tried to submit a crossover idea of DeeDee appearing in the Powerpuff Girls universe to pair with the Powerpuff Girls as a guest character on the show (this was inspired from the infamous fanshipping of DeeDee and Bubbles, due to their similar designs and personalities). But Cartoon Network never commented on it, seeming they might've rejected it because no matter what show fans want to cross DeeDee (or any other character they think are similar to and deserve a crossover) over in, the execs will most likely think it will not do well with their audience.

And TBH, Alex is right about the show biz– CN appears to have completely ignored my concept of DeeDee appearing on The Powerpuff Girls and stuck with the original plan to have the Powerpuff Girls appear on Teen Titans GO! instead. That aside, CN occasionally does do a celebration to produce a crossover episode featuring appearances of many older CN characters (i.e. Robot Jones and Moxy Moto made their first comeback appearance in an OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes episode "Crossover Nexus"; keep in mind CN likes to pretend DeeDee never existed whenever Dexter's Lab characters appear together in The Powerpuff Girls and other popular CN shows).

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
At least to a degree, in music, the artist has the final say. But you have to reach a certain level of mega-success. Eric Clapton can say he wants to put out an album of old blues covers. If Warner Brothers doesn’t like it, saying it should be more pop, Clapton can say he’ll do a project with Steve Winwood, put the album out on Steve’s label, and Steve’s label will sell a million copies and downloads.
Warner Brothers Will backpedal and say, “Okay, Eric. You call the shots”.
Ironically enough, at Disney, if you’re Elton John or Phil Collins, they’ll bend over backwards for you. Your songs will be a showcase in their films, and the resulting soundtrack album will move several million units. Disney knows where their bread and butter is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's kind of been the same with Weird Al Yankovic . . . legally speaking, you don't need permission to parody something, but he always seeks permission from the singers and songwriters before he parodies their songs, simply because he's not a jerk . . . and if they express disinterest, or say no, he'll mention that Michael Jackson had no qualms about him parodying his music, then likewise, they'll backpedal and say okay.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So there is something I want to rant about at the moment, but I’m going to wait first to see if the issue going on can get settled. But Jesus h Christ am I frustrated right now.....

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The only one who ever really turned down Weird Al was The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formerly Known As Prince.
He was the extreme end of the spectrum. For most artists, getting a Weird Al parody is the ultimate compliment. It means you’ve arrived, and most consider it a high honor.
Prince, however, took himself way too seriously and couldn’t stand the thought of being made fun of. I thought he was too pretentious for his own good. There’s nothing wrong with having a high artistic standard. But if you can’t even laugh at yourself, you need to lighten up, Jack.

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
I eventually got a reply from Cartoon Network after emailing them why DeeDee wasn't in PPG. Here's the email for proof.
Thanks for reaching out. Customer Support is not made aware of decisions about why, how, or when content is produced. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any other questions or issues, we'll be happy to help!
So pretty much now I can confirm that CN doesn't have an answer to that question, so now it's confirmed the reason DeeDee doesn't appear in PPG is unknown.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Of course my insomnia decides to act up on the day right after daylight savings. 👍🏻

cjd874

Reaction score
I'm really upset by the Atlanta shooting that took place on Tuesday.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/18/us/metro-atlanta-shootings-thursday/index.html

This man killed six Asians by going to three different spas and firing his gun. Whether his actions were racist or misogynistic, the bottom line is that this was a hate crime! Plain and simple. The media and law enforcement should NOT be painting a different picture. If the public recognizes this as a hate crime, so should the media & law enforcement.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, the shooter was a white, cis-gendered, Christian male, so that automatically entitles him to sympathy and him being made out to be the real victim . . . heck, even the local law enforcement literally said his actions were the result of him, "having a very bad day." Seriously, that's what their official statement was.