What sketches scared you as a kid?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah but on the other hand that's what PSAs are for, to make a big impression. :wink:
Better than those pathetic Disney movie based ones.

Really, Beauty and the Beast clips re-edited to teach healthy eating?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Really, Beauty and the Beast clips re-edited to teach healthy eating?
Yeah and that Pinnochio one, which missed a golden opportunity to say "Eat your veggies, or you'll turn into a donkey!" :wink:

jasonsesame

Reaction score
Another one I have not seen mentioned yet is a live film from, I think, China. The people appear to be celebrating a holiday dressed up and dancing around in scary-looking dragon costumes. I found the appearance of the costumes scary as a kid, especially ones that had big eyes on them.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I already told about my being freaked out by James Earl Jones saying the alphabet & reciting 1-10. But I watched it on You Tube a couple of times as an adult & thought to myself & wondered "What was I so scared of?" (OK...possibly his voice) And after he was done counting to 10 he swooped down quickly so there's the question of that:confused:. If you could find the sketch that you were scared of as a kid on You Tube, sit there & watch it you just might wonder the same thing:"What was I scared of?":wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I already told about my being freaked out by James Earl Jones saying the alphabet & reciting 1-10. But I watched it on You Tube a couple of times as an adult & thought to myself & wondered "What was I so scared of?" (OK...possibly his voice) And after he was done counting to 10 he swooped down quickly so there's the question of that:confused:. If you could find the sketch that you were scared of as a kid on You Tube, sit there & watch it you just might wonder the same thing:"What was I scared of?":wink:
That's how I feel now about the shark puppet film that terrified me as a kid, what was I so scared of? Lol. Still, there are other Sesame Street sketches that continue to frighten me to this day, lol.

WaiterGrover

Reaction score
Apparently I have been away for so long that the forum software's changed- looks good!

Yet I digress... After recently watching the J.E.J. 1-10 count (which I have no memory of seeing as a kid), I had thought to myself "Geez, that ducking out of frame so quickly at the end would've kinda startled/dismayed me as a toddler", so I can understand that one. I guess there are a few things that puzzle me as to what the big deal was back then, but by and large I have a strong emotional memory of the ones that scared me; so, coupled with an adult understanding of child psychology, I pretty much just watch them today and say "Yep, definitely can see how the 3-4-year-old me would've been freaked out by that".

The reason for my coming on this forum was from stumbling across the old stuff on YouTube, and having the fog lifted from long-buried memories, the sights and sounds immediately whisking me back to that long-forgotten worldview of a young child, with all the intensity of emotion, both good and bad that goes with it. I knew I could not be the only one (especially with the number of uploaders and commenters) going through this, so I ended up here :smile:

As far as what sketches scared me, this post answers that.
"And I am cute, too!":super:

Katzi428

Reaction score
Apparently I have been away for so long that the forum software's changed- looks good!

Yet I digress... After recently watching the J.E.J. 1-10 count (which I have no memory of seeing as a kid), I had thought to myself "Geez, that ducking out of frame so quickly at the end would've kinda startled/dismayed me as a toddler", so I can understand that one. I guess there are a few things that puzzle me as to what the big deal was back then, but by and large I have a strong emotional memory of the ones that scared me; so, coupled with an adult understanding of child psychology, I pretty much just watch them today and say "Yep, definitely can see how the 3-4-year-old me would've been freaked out by that".

The reason for my coming on this forum was from stumbling across the old stuff on YouTube, and having the fog lifted from long-buried memories, the sights and sounds immediately whisking me back to that long-forgotten worldview of a young child, with all the intensity of emotion, both good and bad that goes with it. I knew I could not be the only one (especially with the number of uploaders and commenters) going through this, so I ended up here :smile:

As far as what sketches scared me, this post answers that.
"And I am cute, too!":super:
Heeeeeeyyy Waiter Grover Babyyyyy!!!!!!
*light tap on the shoulder*Hi & pleased to meet you.:smile:
I checked out the sketches you were scared of .Yeah...I don't know what the writers were thinking w/ the sketch of BDM fogging up the screen in the "B" sketch. It's scary! And .the others you mentioned are freaky too. (that one with the toddler especially!) From what I heard they test sketches in front of little kids to see how they react. Apparently some of the sketches that scared us didn't scare those kids.
Kathy

snugbug2009

Reaction score
Definitely Bert and Ernie in the Egyptian pyramid. That was extremely freaky! Ernie's statue talking back to him and the shadowy sounding echo his "hissing" laugh made! Plus Bert telling him it was just his imagination, it seemed frightening to think your imagination could do such a scary thing LOL. Then to top it off the statue comes to life and starts dancing! Some of the more psychedelic seventies bits scared me too, being a child of the eighties they seemed very mysterious and sinister.

10Cakes

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't say I was scared of this, but it bugged me when I was little until I was about 4. I didn't like the end of the Sing Along video when the TV antenna made that "TWANG" noise and fell over. The noise was loud and startling. I was still able to watch that tape, but when "What's the Name of that Song?" came on, I'd either block my ears or go over and stop the tape. However, after watching it a few times, I loved it. It's still one of my favorite Sesame vids (I don't have it anymore, but it is on YouTube.) I know it's kind of sad, but I guess different people are bothered by different things.

BTW, after watching it now that I'm older, it looked like that antenna was going to crush Biff and Sully, the way it fell perfectly in between them. They did a pretty good job setting that up. Here's the ending. I found this on YouTube

10Cakes