What sketches scared you as a kid?

Zoot

Reaction score
The sketch about the two criminals stealing the "GOLDEN AN"
(Take the 'Golden AN' and put it in this tan van, Give it to stan, who'll give it to dan, that's the plan)
The part that scared me was when the police-man creeps up on them from the backround shadows - I'd always cover my eyes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, this one is more of "The Muppet Show" than Sesame, but here we go:

On the Harry Belefonte (excuse the spelling) episode, the African Mask Muppets on the Turn the World around sketch used to scare me. Come to think of it, African Masks scared me as a kid period! Now I can appreciate them, but that's besides the point. It wasn't until the tribute to Jim Henso that I overcame that one. Mainly because of the Vikings singing the song "Scurdy Murdy Mur, Scurdy Murdy Mur!"

Blind Pew

Reaction score
I remembered another one....

The shine on Gordon's head weirded me out. It was like he waxed it or something.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: I remembered another one....

Originally posted by Blind Pew
The shine on Gordon's head weirded me out. It was like he waxed it or something.
LOL! Hadn't heard that one before. Maybe the studio lighting had something to do with that too.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
I would have to say those purple sock aliens that said "Yiiipp yipyipyipyipp!" Were really scary for me when I was little, and I was kind of afraid of Oscar the grouch....He still kinda scares me.

I think one time, I cried because I was really sensitive as a kid and whenever he was yelling at someone, I would get upset cuz I thought he was a "meany"..lol

It's funny, really. I got a photographic memory, and I think I remember Big Bird the most! :smile:

No characters from the muppets ever scared me though. Me and I sister watched the show religeously when we were kids! *sigh* the memories...

~fluff~

Iggy35

Reaction score
Fluff

and great muppet caper is your fav muppet film???
Do you hide under the settee during Oscars "very brief" cameo? :smile:

IGGY35

beaker

Reaction score
I think none of the on the street or Muppet sketches were at all...BUT oh my...a lot of those 69-80's era experimental shorts from Sesame were very unnerving. If youve seen JH's Time Piece, a lot of that bizarre Jan Svankmjer/David Lynch/Darren Aronofsky/Harmony Korine
experimental dada type stuff was afoot in JHC land. Im not sure if they still show those old ones(they usually involved inner city children, numbers, and washing zoo animals or cake makers falling down)

I can just imagine some of the ornate visuals that accompanied Russian or various European 'Sesame' tv.

///beaker///

Blind Pew

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
(they usually involved inner city children, numbers, and washing zoo animals or cake makers falling down)

///beaker///
You're right. The 70's were a bizzarre time for sesame street skits. One that sticks out in particular is the inner city children and the bath tub drain (its was a very strange segment about a kid taking a bath and letting the water out of the drain)

Zoot

Reaction score
I was scared of the crazy muppet with the blond hair and the googley eyes that used to ask people in 'the park' set-up questions like "I have a (something) in my pocket...do you wanna C?"...and if they said yes...he's slap a Velcro cut-out of a 'C' on their their chest and yell 'THERE YA GO!" and laugh maniacally.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>he's slap a Velcro cut-out of a 'C' on their their chest and yell 'THERE YA GO!" and laugh maniacally<<<

LOL! Harvey Kneeslapper! He belongs in the Muppet hall of shame with Mr. Poodlepants and Bill Bubbles. Btw, HArvey wasnt the only ill begotten Sesame denizen...remember the contraband seller Lefty? Pssst...wanna buy some an illegal letter H?:wink:

///beaker///