What sketches scared you as a kid?

Xerus

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Even Chicago, the vegetarian Lion?
Well, Chicago's a nice lion. He's a vegetarian and likes to play. And I don't fear lions on TV as much as I did when I was a kid. But I don't really like it when Chicago roars really loud. I remember he scared away a bunch of people in the library and tried to pounce on a book Gordon was reading scaring him to death.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i was scared of thew segment were Bob & Luis were putting up those 2 pieces of a picture of a train tunnel and after getting it right the 4th time, a train comes out of the picture. > i was even a litlte bit scared of the Kermit segment were he's talking about feet and theese human feet come walking on that wall he sits on and does his usual discribing them and what they can do and after he's through he tells them to leave and they won't so he tickles them. and the guy who's displaying his feet laughs loud like a giant.

Gonzwella

Reaction score
I have an old Sesame street tape with these guys with no distinct faces, just basic outlines of mouth and nose's and no eyes. They were purple, orange and green and they came on screen, and one would say "Bat" and the next would say "Cat" and the last would say "Hat" and then a crazy guy would come on and go "Bat and the cat with a Hat.." and just go nuts. It wasn't scary, just very strange. But kinda entertaining. :big_grin:

ponamytrail

Reaction score
Please Help

I have been haunted by this skit as a child, and am desparately looking for verification.

I watched Sesame Street in the way early days, and this quite possibly may have been from the first season.

The skit goes like this:

Ernie is accused by Bert of taking cookies from off a plate when the lights go out. Ernie insists he is innocent, and to prove this, somehow rigs Berts black and white flash bulb camera to take a picture of the plate when the lights go out.
They turn the lights out, and the TV screen is black.
There is some noise, then a bright white flash.
The lights go on, and some cookies are missing.
They then look at the picture that was taken, and they both do their patented "shudder" (back then, they were afraid of monsters, except for Grover)
You then get to see the photo from their POV, and you see a glossy black and white photo of a monster, caught in the act, his eyes open wide, and his mouth open. This terrified me!

Now this monster was not cookie monster, but may have inspired him. This monster (I'll call him King of Monsters) appeared in some other skits, but rarely if ever talked. He was the scariest one.

He looked like a cross between a blue cylinder, and an armless Frankenstein. He was taller than Bert, had a flat head, and a cro-magnon unibrow. I think he had big lips, but no teeth.

Can anyone please, verify the King of Monsters, or better still, tell me where I can find a picture of him?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
ponamytrail said:
Can anyone please, verify the King of Monsters, or better still, tell me where I can find a picture of him?
Sounds to me like you're thinking of Beautiful Day Monster, seen in the pictures at the top of this here webpage. I think GeeBee could definitely verify this skit you're referring to, as I have never even heard of it.

ponamytrail

Reaction score
THAT"S HIM

You just made my day. I would be interested in anyone who knows the episode. Thanks so much!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
Sounds to me like you're thinking of Beautiful Day Monster, seen in the pictures at the top of this here webpage. I think GeeBee could definitely verify this skit you're referring to, as I have never even heard of it.
where did those pictures come from?

ponamytrail

Reaction score
More Early Stuff

In the earlier seasons,there was a short animation featuring the letter "W" and a group of witches. The moral or last line was "Witches that wash their wigs on windy Winter Wednesdays are wacky." I was scared at this as a kid because the witch wore a wig made of letter w's, and was going about her business, when the wind blew it off. I remember the narrarator of the poem of sorts, a female, changing her tone when this happened, and going from a happy voice to a very horrible one, saying, "And BLEW IT AWAY, FOREVAHHHHHH!!!!!". I guess I was a sensitive 3-year old, but this always unnerved me. (Not as much as King of Monsters, though) :wink:

Another animation that generated ill-feeling was the one about Bumble Arty, the kid who had 9 swine over for surprise party when his mom went to work. The poem, as I remember it, was a true classic, but when the kid's mom came back prematurely, and ordered the pigs out of the house, she became rather evil, "OUT, VAMOOSE, SCRAM! (and then with sharp teeth, and emulated claws) BEFORE I SLICE YOU INTO HAM !" Of course it ended well, as she kissed the kid nine times gently over nine; which isn't bad, in fact, it's fine.