What is up with these DISTURBING commercials, lately?

snichols1973

Reaction score
i find Ronald McDonald creepy but i don't like clowns
He's so delightfully 80's. He even has that 80's retro 50's vibe to it. I loved seeing his commercials when they had them during cartoon prime time specials. I believe he had a series of small plastic figures and maybe a shirt or two. Shame they can't bring him back. Then again, I'm disappointed they discontinued the McDonaldland characters years ago. I miss Hamburgalar and Grimace. And that pirate guy.

Come to think of it, what other mascots were considered disturbing?
Warning: These early commercials with an early version of Ronald McDonald may very well fall under the category of "Nightmare Fuel":

This second early McDonald's commercial tends to make what our parents taught us about talking to strangers, accepting gifts from them, or going someplace with them a bit of a Broken Aesop:

http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenAesop

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hilariously, Ronald only exists because early McD's locations wanted to have a Bozo the Clown like character (if not outright Bozo himself) appear to get kids into these places as the Happy Meal didn't exist for quite some time after.

And frankly, the old Ronald looks like they just couldn't get the Bozo license and they dug crap out of the trash to make their own clown just before the kids arrived. Sort of like the Spongebob episode that makes fun of it.

On that note, I wish I could find a much better image of this, but I can't.

The new 75th anniversary M&M's collector's packaging has been strangely revealing of how creepy the mascots used to be.

I like going to the store and looking at them backwards, seeing them devolve into creepy candy headed mutants. Also of note.

1960's Peanut M&M looks a bit rude. Even cracked me up in store.

the 80's versions of the characters look like they're from a Family Guy cutscene somehow.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

I am somehow both entertained and disturbed at the same time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is anyone besides me a little weirded out by these Quilted Northen commercials certain things in the bathroom are actually alive and "see everything and forget nothing"?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow. Wow. So, I saw a local commercial for YWCA, and I gotta say, it's actually quite dark . . . not on YouTube, so you just gotta go with me on this, but in black-and-white, a little girl sits on a couch, crying her eyes out, with a pair of play sunglasses on her face - in the reflection of her sunglass lenses, we see the mother yelling at the father, and the father, in turn, beating the crap out of the mother.

Wow. Deep.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know that old Folger's commercial where the guy comes home for the holidays and his younger sister is really happy to see him, and even though he brings her a present from whatever he was doing in West Africa, she sticks the bow on his shoulder and says, "you're my present this year."? Apparently some YouTubers have picked up incestuous vibes from that commercial to film a fake extended version that not only recreates the actual kitchen the commercial took place in, but went as far as to bring in actors who looked and dressed like the ones in the commercial, and. . . . Well, I guess I probably shouldn't link the commercial here, but the parents can see what's going on: they sent the brother to West Africa to separate them in the first place, the present turns out to be an engagement ring, the parents try to break them apart but they make out anyway.

Honestly, I picked up more of an incestuous vibe from an old McCormick Thanksgiving commercial that I can't find on YouTube, that featured a family getting ready for the Thanksgiving dinner, and a dude and a female relative (who actually looked a little older than him) looking lovey-dovey at each other.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you guys have seen this. But for those of you who haven't, this disturbing commercial is an ACTUAL AD from a real company called " Little Baby's Ice Cream:
I don't imagine the company had very high expectations when they came up with this commercial. Although, this was probably very beneficial to their sales considering how many views this thing has.
Dude... My friend Drew practically has a boner for this commercial. He loves to troll me with it. :rolleyes:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
There's this really creepy commercial that I just saw about smoking. It had a lady in her early 50s with a wig on and her voice box was removed, something was where her larynx was.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh! This commercial bothers me immensely!!
That voice sounds like a freaking predator whispering into his victim's ear just before he does something unspeakable to them.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Where has this thread been the last few months? I really wanted a place to show my hatred for this piece of crap.