What DO YOU want to see in the new Dark Crystal Movie??

Laszlo

Reaction score
tanuki said:
What is the role of the UrSkeks in the story, now they are all rejoined? And did any get left out of the re-joining? That's what I'm wondering...
One Urskeks appears warning Frigo (now renamed Kenjo) not to touch the crystal.

Laszlo

Reaction score
JMPrater said:
I find it hard to believe that Jen and Kira would have failed to produce a son and/or daughter. Hopefully, the script you read Lazlo was preliminary. It just makes sense that Gelflings would re-populate Thra and Jen/Kira's offspring would play a part in that.
Indeed, but maybe it is because of budgetary reasons?

JMPrater

Reaction score
I'm so surprised this board is not more active then it's been. Henson/Muppets have been around for years with quite the following. The somber tone here may reflect interest in the world of puppettry as a whole? Right?

dabauckham

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure. Maybe people have just been busy lately. Or maybe you're right, and I'm just being optimistic. :frown:

I guess JHC has taken quite a few hits over the years. Sooner or later, however, I think that interest will resurface more noticeably. Puppets are such a vital way that we express ourselves, and they have a "live theatre" element and spirit that CGI and other technology can never replace.

Laszlo, are the UrSkeks truly only making an appearance in the new movie? I thought they would be more central to the plot. Will we see any Skeksis, or will the plot focus only on the journey in the center of the earth?

Laszlo

Reaction score
dabauckham said:
Laszlo, are the UrSkeks truly only making an appearance in the new movie? I thought they would be more central to the plot. Will we see any Skeksis, or will the plot focus only on the journey in the center of the earth?
There will be only one Urskeks, so only 1 Skeksis/1 Mystic (Chamberlain & Ursol). The Urskeks will appear at the end again, logically.
I guess they had to cut back some characters to keep the movie in budget.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
They still need to reshow the originals

I still say they need to reshow the originals before they show a sequel, also thye should show a prequel with the information hinted at in "The World Of The Dark Crystal

JMPrater

Reaction score
I just rewatched the hour long "World of the Dark Crystal" and the Power of the Dark Crystal comicon reel and I'm still so excited. Just think, this time next year we'll be gearing up to see the film.

I'm curious who will be operating Aughra as there is no definitive answer as to whether Frank Oz is physically involved in the production or not.

I'm also wondering if Wendy Fround was involved in any preliminary doll/maquette conception? Wendy Fround made Jen and Kira, and Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back.

Any thoughts or knowledge?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
What I want more than anything is for The Power of the Dark Crystal to fill me with the same sense of wonder and amazement that The Dark Crystal did. If it succeeds, then everything will fall into place.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I agree, and while watching the "making of" and perusing my precious copy of Christopher Finch's "The Making of the Dark Crystal" book what stands out the most for me is the attention to detail, the rich history and subtlety of the film itself.

I realize that it's going to be difficult for Genndy [the film's director] not to want to stylize the film too much. The original film lived and breathed perfectly, and every scene was a delicate balance between make-believe and reality. Jen and Kira never came off to me as puppets, and I'll always maintain that Kathryn Mullen, Kira's puppeteer, was the more natural of the two. Jim Henson had been so steeped in Kermit for so many years that Jen seemed like another race of gelfling altogether based on Henson's all-to-familiar movements.

My avatar is a still of the NEW Kira puppet from The Power of the Crystal, and already I can tell the attention to detail is staggering. I can barely type in anticipation of more imagery and hopefully a trailer [teaser] in the coming months.

Genndy [or staff], if you're reading this, please create an in-depth documentary that chronicles the making of this new film to be included on the DVD.

J.M. Prater

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
One thing I love about The Dark Crystal is the little details about the characters. The most apparent for me is Chamberlain's sneer. It's equal parts chilling and (oddly enough) charming. Chamberlain just wouldn't be Chamberlain without it. The minute Jim and Frank decided to include that was the minute that Chamberlain was realized, I think. Let's hope that Genndy puts just as much thought into characters both new and old.