What are you currently playing?

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
This thread is for video games you are currently playing. I'm playing Torchlight which is an adventure RPG set in a steampunk fantasy setting. In my opinion, it's so much better than Diablo (which I'm not that big of a fan of, it seems quite outdated, to be honest). But anyway, it is where you make a character and a pet who fight through hordes of monsters, undead, animals, demons, mechanic beasts, spiders, trolls, and all kinds of other spooky stuff to save a town and defeat an evil wizard named Alric. It reminds me of the Fate series, which I'm also a big fan of:

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Can I resurrect this? I'm surprised we don't have a general gaming thread; I know we have the Switch one, but that dies all the time (Direct tomorrow! - fingers crossed for Mario Maker 2).

So the big one is Kingdom Hearts 3, which is absolutely gorgeous, but I also picked up some old weird games from the record exchange, being Muppet Monster Adventure, Toy Story (SNES) and Rascal (pictured in my avatar).

It's kind of funny: Muppet Monster Adventure is like some hybrid between Spyro (which I have been playing the Reignited Trilogy as well) and Rascal (not a good game - tank controls a la Tomb Raider; no bueno for a 3D platformer inspired by Mario 64); Robin's got his ray gun akin to the Rascal character. Otherwise, it's a total ripoff of Spyro. My biggest gripe is it does not take advantage of the Muppet license at all: a lot of generic enemies and music that could've came from anywhere, but it is still a very solid collectathon that reeks of the time.

So yeah, a lot of weird overlay in the games I've been playing as most of them (even Toy Story) were developed by the same companies (Traveller's Tales & Psygnosis).

Schfifty

Reaction score
Right now, I am playing a ROM hack of Super Mario 64 called Super Mario 64: The Green Stars, which I started several months ago and still have yet to finish. Definitely a fun game! Higher star count, different premise, new levels...pretty up to par with Star Road.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Mostly Spyro reignited. I've beaten the first two games and now just cleaning up some missing eggs that I didn't get yet in 3. Those speedway races are going to be the death of me. I swear i do not remember them being this brutally hard in the original games

Also been playing spiderman a lot

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Don't ask me why: I decided to torture myself and buy Sonic '06; I had been mulling the game for years and had to try it for myself... it's as bad as you think. I actually owned the game when it was new (and even played the demo before it came out) -- I was quite impressed with the demo, and don't remember the full game being that bad, but this is an unfinished hot mess. The only redeemable thing is the music (which even the peaceful hub world music gets annoying). I haven't read the development story in years, but I believe they simply just put out an unfinished game for the holiday push.

As I had mentioned in the Sonic thread, I would really like to see them revisit a game in this vein; the sad thing is, Sonic's first 3D outing ("Sonic World" in Sonic Jam) may have been the best -- slow the character down. He will never be successful in a 3D space moving at 100 mph. Otherwise, I bought Final Fantasy VII for the fourth time in my life on the Switch yesterday (none of them being PSX!) and I have Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time coming in the mail for some old-school platforming goodness... this is a game that needs remade; maybe in the wake of Space Jam 2 and the age of remakes it's possible, but I don't see it.

I also have Yoshi's Crafted World coming in the mail on Friday; it looks great, but I hope it's not too easy... I could play games all day! :stick_out_tongue: Pretty much since Breath of the Wild launched until now has been insane!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Not a huge gamer, but I've been playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for a year now, and am ALMOST ready to take on Ganon. I love that this game has so MANY hidden things to discover. I can go back to an area I've already explored and I'll still find at least a couple of koroks or a lovely view I haven't seen before. I have visited Haetano Village dozens of times (yes, got my house and everything) and only last week I ran into the creepy demon statue there. Well-designed, great for exploring when you don't feel like combat, silly jokes in some of the NPC interactions, and once you build up your hearts, armor, and weaponry, taking on Big Bads like roving Guardians is oh so very satisfying.

Also great stress release. After a harried workday I can be found on the couch attacking a pack of Guardians yelling COME GET SOME YOU CRAWLY MOTHERF******RS!

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Cuphead is such a great example of how to do a modern game right. I finally got it on Switch (the way it's meant to be played) and although the difficulty is infuriating, that's exactly what most of its peers are missing: it feels rewarding; takes me right back to the SNES/NES era when games were actually hard, instead of White Tanooki Suit Mario holding your hand. It's not cheap; just leaves no room for error. The beginning levels are more difficult than modern Mario's ending levels.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I just bought Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube... I'm not sure if it's a good or bad game.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Resident Evil 4 on Switch, and it's honestly nauseating. Tank controls in a 3rd person shooter? I think I'll be sticking to Dead Rising for my Capcom horror survival goodness.

It's funny; what I've been doing lately is playing games from my childhood that I presumed I missed out on, but they just turn out being completely average to me (in other words, I didn't miss out on anything): RE4, the aforementioned Star Fox Adventures, Mickey's Speedway USA, Looney Tunes Space Race, Sonic Adventure, etc.

Star Fox Adventures and Mickey's Speedway for instance were both licensed games made by Rareware at the turn of the century, and while they're both extremely well-made and beautiful for their time, they're boring. Star Fox Adventures was famously an entirely different game called Dinosaur Planet, but Miyamoto made them rebrand it as Star Fox cause the main character was a fox... some people think this killed it, but it also could've turned out to be the same boring game that would've sold less since it wouldn't have had the SF brand to carry it.

I bought a Dreamcast and picked up Sonic Adventure and it's actually cringey and wonky. I mean, I have played this one through the years on various consoles and even one of my earliest memories is playing the famous whale chase level on a kiosk at Family Toy... it's the ultimate game that I can't tell if it's good or bad. At least it's not Sonic '06... somehow they regressed 8 years later.