West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably told everyone by now that I frequent the mall Paul Blart was filmed at and even was there on a day of shooting. Unfortunately, an interior scene shot in an abandoned storefront, and just missed Kevin James (who apparently wasn't in a good mood). I never actually got to see the movie, but would loved to have seen the Burlington Mall on the big screen. I did manage to catch some of that Sandra Bullock/Ryan Reynolds film on TV that they try to pass off Rockport MA as Alaska. My parents were up there the day of filming and saw Betty White. And that was before the "let's put her on SNL because our moms grew up watching the Golden Girls" meme. Think they also saw Mary Steenburgen too. Possibly Ted Danson who was just there with his wife, not in the film.

Anyway... Comedies usually don't work as sequels because you wind up doing the same movie on a bigger scale. I give credit to 22 Jump Street for essentially spending the entire glorious 90 minutes saying "we really shouldn't have had a sequel, and we're no doubt going to have a third film." Better than the Hangover did at any rate.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyway... Comedies usually don't work as sequels because you wind up doing the same movie on a bigger scale.
That's essentially what they did with HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK. Don't get me wrong, I like both of those movies, but admittedly, 2 is essentially 1 rehashed in New York - it plays almost exactly the same, even director Chris Columbus admits that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like that one as well, probably a tiny bit more than the first, but yeah. The McCallisters still are freaking horrible parents, the Wet Bandits inexplicably meet back up with the same kid in a different city, and there's that creepy old person who's just lonely. At least the Hotel gave some variety, trying not to get caught by the conce...consee...Tim Curry.

But what's really the big kick in the butt is when it's an action comedy movie and there just so happens to be an animated series inbetween the first and second movie. The writers of the cartoon will always come up with better concepts and mythology than the writers of the film. At least in the case of Ghostbusters II and Men in Black II. Not that I dislike GB2, but MIB 2 had much to be desired. And meanwhile, the shows manage to take the concept in different, even darker directions. I've been saying it for years, but if the writers of the cartoon did MIB 2, we would have had a better movie. The cartoon even did a better job at a time travel episode than the third movie (which was actually quite good). The cartoon's time travel premise: Agent J plays with an alien device that rapidly speeds up his intelligence and brain function leading him to be the only one able to notice that various agents are disappearing, leading to a chase with a violent, xenophobic, extremist human who was "taking care of" the original MIB members in order to destroy the organization. The movie's premise: Alien goes back in time to kill J to prevent him from getting put in jail and disabling an Earth defense system. No contest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...they're freaking making a Joe Dirt 2.

A movie no one liked the first time.

yeah...

EDIT: NO! One Mixels reaction gif is not enough.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The first was only modestly successful at best, mainly due to its low budget, so this is indeed a travesty.

At least it's staying out of theaters this time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's probably only coming out due to Adam Sandler having too much producing power.

Which is why the second Mixels reaction gif is there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Adam Sandler has too much power, period.

I'm actually embarrassed that I like THE MASTER OF DISGUISE because I didn't find out till years after it came out that his company produced that movie too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... a second Three Stooges Movie is happening.

But without the Farrelly Brothers this time. So it possibly could be a case of "Surprisingly Improved Sequel."

From the clips I've seen, I think the casting of the Stooges is pretty solid. Even though Larry;s someone I don't much like. Curley's dead on, though. I just hope this is a better outing this time.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Probably told everyone by now that I frequent the mall Paul Blart was filmed at and even was there on a day of shooting. Unfortunately, an interior scene shot in an abandoned storefront, and just missed Kevin James (who apparently wasn't in a good mood). I never actually got to see the movie, but would loved to have seen the Burlington Mall on the big screen. I did manage to catch some of that Sandra Bullock/Ryan Reynolds film on TV that they try to pass off Rockport MA as Alaska. My parents were up there the day of filming and saw Betty White. And that was before the "let's put her on SNL because our moms grew up watching the Golden Girls" meme. Think they also saw Mary Steenburgen too. Possibly Ted Danson who was just there with his wife, not in the film.

Anyway... Comedies usually don't work as sequels because you wind up doing the same movie on a bigger scale. I give credit to 22 Jump Street for essentially spending the entire glorious 90 minutes saying "we really shouldn't have had a sequel, and we're no doubt going to have a third film." Better than the Hangover did at any rate.
A relative of mine works at the Burlington Mall, and she was there the day they filmed Paul Blart. Another relative of mine was either an extra or just happened to be there when they filmed The Game Plan. He was in the movie for about 2 seconds.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like how the article acts like it's unbelievable that THE THREE STOOGES movie is getting a sequel.

Really? In this day and age, you're surprised that a movie is getting a sequel? Where have you been? In a cave?